Wildlife Seen on the Golf Course

now that's what I call 'taking relief'
We played up in the mountains of Burbank on Saturday and 2 deer were crossing the green and one of them stopped and took a poo hee hee hee, we saw some more deer on the 18th hole as well. They're soo cute :)

So I played yesterday and was on #2 and walking along the pond, checking my yardages on my IPhone and almost walked into this sucker. Luckily my reflexes made me jump away and he/she let off "the hiss". So here's a lesson... In Florida while walking near the edge of a water hazard watch where you are going or else risk stepping on wildlife such as this:

Whenever I am about to take a shot that is near water I always have someone on gator patrol. I don't want to be surprised by one and we have tons over here too.

Whenever I am about to take a shot that is near water I always have someone on gator patrol. I don't want to be surprised by one and we have tons over here too.

I should have known better. Normally I have my eyes peeled but just this one time I was looking at my phone and wouldn't you know it. Normally I also have a club with me as well but once again the one time I didn't.

I should have known better. Normally I have my eyes peeled but just this one time I was looking at my phone and wouldn't you know it. Normally I also have a club with me as well but once again the one time I didn't.

yikes... happens everytime... when you have it you dont need it and when you need it you forget it... lol
glad you didnt get bit

So I played yesterday and was on #2 and walking along the pond, checking my yardages on my IPhone and almost walked into this sucker. Luckily my reflexes made me jump away and he/she let off "the hiss". So here's a lesson... In Florida while walking near the edge of a water hazard watch where you are going or else risk stepping on wildlife such as this:

Where the heck was one of those guys in April? All I saw was nose and a pair of eyes!

yikes... happens everytime... when you have it you dont need it and when you need it you forget it... lol
glad you didnt get bit

I'm glad I didn't get bit either. :D

Where the heck was one of those guys in April? All I saw was nose and a pair of eyes!

It was still probably too cold for them, Smalls. At least you got to see something.

It was still probably too cold for them, Smalls. At least you got to see something.

I still think it was funny that JB said "are you really going to go look at it?" (or something similar) - - - the one that was submerged that you saw. Dang straight I am! The eyes and nose were after that on the way to 18 tee.

So another gator sighting today (no pics) thankfully in the water an he/she was chomping on a bird or fish I think because he/she looked pretty ornery. Plenty of box turtles on course an our one dangerous experience was in the golf cart on the way to the tee box a black moccasin decides to cross the cart path right in front of us. Luckily he dodged the snake an didn't run him/her over or else he/she would've been one pissed off snake and my leg could've been bitten as a reaction. I could say that it's been an eventful last two rounds.

PLayed yesterday and saw the weirdest bug i've ever seen. Imagine 5 ball bearings, each about a centimeter in diameter. Now imagine a rubbery synthetic tube holding the ball bearing in place, slightly apart from each other. When I first drove by it on the course I literally first thought it was some piece of machinery that felll of a golf cart or one of the nearby work trucks. Then I realized the ball bearing were moving back and foth slightly. Then I realized the whole thing was some giant (4-5 inches) worm I've never seen before. Another creepy thing about it was it didn't seem to have a face, the front looked almost exaclty like the back. (If it wasn't moving I wou'ldn't have known which was front.) I know I should have taken a picture but I literally was getting a little queasy looking at that thing. (I used to be a paramedic driver, i've seen some nasty stuff, but that bug just had my number for some reason. Couldn't bear to look at it) Has anyone seen or know what the heck I was looking at? It was overall a greyish (elephant like) color but I do remember some small parts that were green.

Edit: By the way, I shot 76 yesterday. Not related just super proud.

Edit: By the way, I shot 76 yesterday. Not related just super proud.

Maybe it is related, maybe you should find one of those weird things every round!!! Nice work.

Maybe it is related, maybe you should find one of those weird things every round!!! Nice work.

haha maybe I was so freaked out by that thing I just wanted to get off the course as soon as possible.

haha maybe I was so freaked out by that thing I just wanted to get off the course as soon as possible.

Are you sure it wasn't just a cinch bug type deal that was on the juice?

Cinch bug?

Yeah, there's a ton here in FL. Normally they're white but if exposed to light they turn a little gray. It looks like you described it but not as big. They tend to eat the roots of the grass (they love our St Augustine grass) for food and they're head is a bit small so it looks like they don't have a head. Here in FL when they eat the roots of the grass it causes our grass to brown in spots and they're a pain to get rid of.

Yeah, there's a ton here in FL. Normally they're white but if exposed to light they turn a little gray. It looks like you described it but not as big. They tend to eat the roots of the grass (they love our St Augustine grass) for food and they're head is a bit small so it looks like they don't have a head. Here in FL when they eat the roots of the grass it causes our grass to brown in spots and they're a pain to get rid of.

No that aint it. Thanks though. I didn't see legs on this thing. It looked like a grey tube with 5 small ball bearings inside of it.

I cant say I've seen anything not already mentioned...

Foxes, geese, deer, a HUGE snapping turtle...

A couple weeks back or so The course was covered in Japanese beetles. There were so manta that while setting up to swing you would hear a constant buzz. There were piles of them in spots about the size of my fist doing whatever beetles in a pile like to do. A couple weeks later, not a single one in sight.

In Florida i've seen alligators and small pigs.....don't see those in Illinois unless they're somebody's pet.....oh and one turkey (that was Illinois).

i struggled all morning trying to keep this cat in check....

Thats one hell of a position for that little fella to be in. I mean, hes coming from the inside, which is rare with youngsters. Once that clubface gets squared up im sure this kid could play!

his brother kills it. I got the greatest down the line, after impact shot of him.

can you tell he's got some baseball in him?

oh and I really did get a pic of a fawn and her baby while I had that kid out on the course. I'll pop it up later tonight.

his brother kills it. I got the greatest down the line, after impact shot of him.

can you tell he's got some baseball in him?

oh and I really did get a pic of a fawn and her baby while I had that kid out on the course. I'll pop it up later tonight.

Great stuff Snicker, regaurdless of the game he looks like he's having a blast.

dude no lie playing Long Bay which is a Jack course in North Myrtle Beach SC. he has a replica of the 17th at sawgrass and yes i kept my ball dry, anyways we get to the bridge to the green and underneath it in the reeds has to be a 8 ft at least gator i dropped my putt for bird and ran back across the bridge

the real wildlife from yesterday...

IMG_6209.jpg

and little cat's big brother....

i'm their glorified babysitter....who also happens to give golf lessons.

Spoiler
IMG_6205.jpg

Back