Shaft Expert Interview - THP Radio W/ Miyazaki Shafts

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
ITR is back this week with their weekly show and it is filled with information. THP welcomes special guest Tim Gillis from Miyazaki Golf Shafts to the show this week to answer reader questions on everything in the world of golf equipment.

On this episode:
How can you get fit for a shaft
The artwork of Miyazaki
Is going lightweight the answer
HUGE CONTEST ANNOUNCEMENT
and so much more.

As always you can listen to it streaming right here as well as download it from here. The show is also available at ITunes & Podcast.com

http://thehackersparadise.com/?p=8731

Last edited:
The shaft fitting where they have dissected every other shaft on the market could be revolutionary!

Wooo CONTEST!!! Can not wait!

Edit: Great show btw I think Tim is wonderful for giving us some of his time and knowledge!

This show is great. He really is a nice guy. They would be awesome to deal with when looking for shafts.

Edit: BTW Appreciate the Smash Factor question!!!!

This show is great. He really is a nice guy. They would be awesome to deal with when looking for shafts.

Edit: BTW Appreciate the Smash Factor question!!!!

Did I say your name right? Oh and a huge apology to White Rhino for not saying his name. I blame JB I asked ahead of time if we were going to say who asked the questions and he said no so I didn't say WR name and then he went and said names!! So I am really sorry WR but it's JB's fault.

Yup!!!!!!! Great interview! I'm excited about the contest :alien:
Did I say your name right? Oh and a huge apology to White Rhino for not saying his name. I blame JB I asked ahead of time if we were going to say who asked the questions and he said no so I didn't say WR name and then he went and said names!! So I am really sorry WR but it's JB's fault.

I still don't understand why longer shaft length is better?Sure you might hit it farther,but will you hit it as straight?

Thanks for all the great info! I can't wait for the contest Wooo!

• Admin
I still don't understand why longer shaft length is better?Sure you might hit it farther,but will you hit it as straight?

I think that is a big question, and that is why he recommend fitting across the board. But he has said openly quite a bit that longer shaft length does NOT mean less accuracy as so many think. It certainly can, but so can shorter.

I listened to this interview and wanted to get a new shaft immediately. However when it came time to pull the trigger on a Prolaunch Platinum Axis, I decided to wait till the Outing. Like I've mentioned before, I'm sure I will walk away from PGA National with wanting a whole new driver set up

I listened to this interview and wanted to get a new shaft immediately. However when it came time to pull the trigger on a Prolaunch Platinum Axis, I decided to wait till the Outing. Like I've mentioned before, I'm sure I will walk away from PGA National with wanting a whole new driver set up

yep, you will, hahaha. only 2 more months man!!!

yep, you will, hahaha. only 2 more months man!!!

if we were looking at 4 or 5 months I would have made the purchase.

by the way, Tim was great once again

I want to add something after speaking with Tim that I think is pertinent. Most serious golfers constantly get down on amateurs about shaft length and their biggest excuse is "look at the tour pros and see what length they are hitting". While there is some argument for that, isn't the entire argument FOR fitting about finding something that works for the individual rather than what a company says is "perfect" or a Tour Pro is playing?

The whole point of a company like Miyazaki with their International Flex Code is finding the PERFECT shaft for the individual.

I want to add something after speaking with Tim that I think is pertinent. Most serious golfers constantly get down on amateurs about shaft length and their biggest excuse is "look at the tour pros and see what length they are hitting". While there is some argument for that, isn't the entire argument FOR fitting about finding something that works for the individual rather than what a company says is "perfect" or a Tour Pro is playing?

The whole point of a company like Miyazaki with their International Flex Code is finding the PERFECT shaft for the individual.

I never liked the "look what the tour pros are hitting" argument. While maybe a shorter shaft is better for some its not for all. Some people need more help to generate speed than others. Last I checked, tour pro's don't really have that issue.

bingo!!! that's what i've always thought since being introduced to them as a company.

wow yall this was an awesome episode thanks to JB and GG for putting this together and Tim for coming on and giving us a ton of great information and yet again THP sets its members up right with contests, looking forward to this one should be awesome

I like how they're going to have the online fitting tool. Obviously nothing is a replacement for a true fitting but at least people can decipher what might be a good fit. It could help compare other companies' products by each online fitting offered.

I'm very excited about the contest! I've been interested in seeing/feeling what they're like but I'm reserved on spending the dough for a hobby.

Listening right now!! Thank you for answering my question!! Or questions I guess. I figured they were all sort of related. Good to hear that they are working with Golf Town it pretty much my second home!! I'll definitely be heading there when they work out all the details (provided I don't win one in the new contest :act-up:).

Jsut finished listening. Holy smokes, there was a lot of good info in that show! I'm going to have to listen again later just to make sure I didn't miss anything!! Again great show. Tim is an excellent guest, I'm looking forward to his next appearance!! :D

Thanks 9I. He was really informative this week and we got lots of forum questions answered in this one.

This was a great show and I think that it was the best interview that you guys have ever done!

For the second week in a row, I am going to listen for a second time.

I agree with some of the comment regarding "look what the pro's are using/doing" I don't agree with amatuers using what pro's use as far as equipment/shafts.But, if the Pro's whos swings are far more repeatible then mine are not finding longer shafts beneficial ,how could I expect us ,who don't repeat our swing as well as they do?

You know me,I'm a firm believer in fittings.The only way to find that drive,r is see a club fitter who has access to all of the shafts avil and understands what and how they work.

If you can control a longer driver and achieve more distance by all means do it.

Oh it is ok GG (as for you JB :stickbeat: ), I am glad the question got asked and I appreciate Tim's honest answer on it. Still seems silly to me but like he says, money talks!!
Great show to both of you!! Tim is wonderful to listen to, very knowledgeable and easy going. I look forward to some of new technologies he was talking about in the near future. And a great contest too!!!

Great show! Like some of the others i wil be listening again when I am not distracted by watching the Open.

I agree with some of the comment regarding "look what the pro's are using/doing" I don't agree with amatuers using what pro's use as far as equipment/shafts.But, if the Pro's whos swings are far more repeatible then mine are not finding longer shafts beneficial ,how could I expect us ,who don't repeat our swing as well as they do?

You know me,I'm a firm believer in fittings.The only way to find that drive,r is see a club fitter who has access to all of the shafts avil and understands what and how they work.

If you can control a longer driver and achieve more distance by all means do it.

As he said to me, the connotation that longer drivers equal less accuracy is just not true anymore. It can certainly be true for many, but far too many factors come into play to make that judgement, strictly off what the pros play. With club heads being lighter, shorter shafts can actually cause problems in balance for some. A fitting is the only way to go.

I look at the shaft length the same way I look at other parts of what the pros use. They almost all use open club heads, so should amateurs? Of course not. There are more than 40 golfers in the Open this week with a driver shaft of 45" or longer. Just last year they were all at 44.5. So the shift has happened at that level too.

As he said to me, the connotation that longer drivers equal less accuracy is just not true anymore. It can certainly be true for many, but far too many factors come into play to make that judgement, strictly off what the pros play. With club heads being lighter, shorter shafts can actually cause problems in balance for some. A fitting is the only way to go.

I look at the shaft length the same way I look at other parts of what the pros use. They almost all use open club heads, so should amateurs? Of course not. There are more than 40 golfers in the Open this week with a driver shaft of 45" or longer. Just last year they were all at 44.5. So the shift has happened at that level too.

Maybe because accuracy isn't a premium at this course? I'd have to see the info at more then just one course to believe.

Back