SoCal and Central California

scarhead

Reaction score
Handicap
Any suggestions for courses in Southern and Central California? Here is the criteria:
Under $60
Scenic
Well kept
A bonus would be an oceanside course with great views. Thanks!

We have lots of THPers in this area. Welcome to the site.

Welcome to THP Scarhead!

Monterey is pretty much in the middle, coastside, isn't it? How about my personal favorite (although it's the only course in California I have played!), Pacific Grove Municipal. I think it's about $45 with a cart during the week.

http://www.ci.pg.ca.us/golf/

For the price:

Los Verdes
Long Beach SKylinks
Tijeras Creek

I think that price makes it hard to narrow down. Maybe Olivas Links, its on the Bay in Ventura, if I remember correctly there are a couple of holes with views of the ocean. It is definitly challenging when the wind picks up and the place is kept in pretty good shape.
www.olivaslinks.com/layout9.asp?id=164&page=2752

I still think the best deal for the condition its in, in Ventura County has to be Rustic Canyon.

Welcome to THP.

Thanks for the suggestions. And thank you for the welcome! This is an awesome site! I'm glad I signed up and I'll update my profile soon. I'm looking forward to doing alot of posting.

We look forward to having you here.

Being from FL, I have no idea...but welcome to THP!

As AJ mentioned, Los Verdes will meet all your requirements. But it's tough to get a tee time there.

In Lompoc (about 45 minutes north of Santa Barbara), there is La Purisima. I think this is one of the best values in all of Southern California. Bring your 'A' game though.

If you count Monterey as Central CA, then I agree with Small, Pacific Grove is a good choice.

Where in Central CA are you thinking of visiting, along the coast or more inland?

Los Verdes has to be the slowest course in the country.

Los Verdes for the ocean view, but be prepared for a long round. 5-1/2 to 6 hours there. It's tough to get a tee time there though.

La Purisma and Marshallia Ranch are good central coast courses. I don't know if they're under $60 though.

I do like Rustic Canyon, but no ocean view there.

For detailed info and reviews of california and nevada courses check out greenskeeper.org. It's a great resource for course info.

I have no idea about courses in California but welcome to THP!!! I see our California members have some good suggestions : )

I can easily get an early weekend tee time at Los Verdes, I played last Saturday 8am and was done by 1130...and I played in a fivesome.

As AJ mentioned, Los Verdes will meet all your requirements. But it's tough to get a tee time there.

In Lompoc (about 45 minutes north of Santa Barbara), there is La Purisima. I think this is one of the best values in all of Southern California. Bring your 'A' game though.

If you count Monterey as Central CA, then I agree with Small, Pacific Grove is a good choice.

Where in Central CA are you thinking of visiting, along the coast or more inland?

Along the coast

Yikes...I better update my profile sooner than later 'cuz my handicap isn't anywhere near the 36 shown to the left :giggle:

I posted the following in a new thread. Sorry, still learning how to post. Anyway, thanks to everyone who gave suggestions on courses while I was on vacation. I wound up playing at a course named Mt. Woodson and also at Torrey Pines. Here are my reviews.

Got to Torrey at around 14:00 and put my name on the waitlist. I did a little putting and about 30 minutes later got called for the North Course. I played with two others. The course was in pretty good condition, but the two groups in front of us played slowly. The threesome in front of us made play very slow because they weren't that good. And I don't have a problem with that, but they were waiting for the green to clear when they were 200 yards away. They would wait, take four practice swings and then hit the ball about 50 yards. This was not a once in awhile thing, either. They did it on every hole. We were able to get 18 in just before it got dark. Most of the holes played into the wind. The greens were pretty fast, but were in great condition. Speaking of greens, when we got up to one green there was a huge indentation in the green a foot from the hole. It looked like it was from a putter. The mark looked very fresh so it was obviously from one of the two groups in front of us. ********!!! There is no reason for anyone to do this. The course is not difficult to play. Trees do come into play if you're in the rough on either side. The par 3's are short, but difficult. Most of them are from elevated tees so club selection is challenging. Ocean views are pretty good.

Mt. Woodson is in Ramona. This is a very scenic course. Walking it isn't possible. This is a target-golf course. Forget about distance and go for accuracy here. The holes are connected by bridges that run through the hills. Rarely, if ever, are you hitting from even lies. In fact, on almost every shot the ball will be either above or below your feet making it very challenging. The course was in great condition. It's definitely worth playing.

Torrey Pines reminded me very much of Cog Hill. The guy I was playing with saw my Cog Hill bag tag and asked me what it was like. I told him that Torrey was very similar to Cog Hill without the views. From what I was able to tell there were two types of players at Torrey. There were the regulars (which included school kids and residents) and visitors who wanted to say they played the course.

I shot an 87 at Mt. Woodson and an 89 at Torrey. I played from the blue tees at Mt. Woodson and the whites at Torrey.

Again, I'm sorry for the redundancy of reposting.

Dont sweat it. Thanks for the thorough info.

All depends on where you want to go.. And the amount

Ventura County
Sterling Hills
River Ridge
Olivas Park

Simi Valley
MoorPark CC
Rustic Canyon

Los Angeles
Angeles National
Brookside #1
Wilson and Harding

Orange County
Eagle Glenn
coyote hills
Oak Creek
Strawberry Farms
Westridge
Telaga Golf
Tijeras Creek
Black Gold

Inland Empire
Oak Valley
Cross Creek
Oak Quarry
Hidden Valley
Dos Lagos
Eagle Glen
Empire Lakes
Sierra Lakes

He already made the trip and reviewed where he played.

Thanks BigLefty. I'll use the info next time. In fact, Tijeras was suggested by a lot of people out there. I stopped at Talega and had a chance to get on there the next day. I wasn't up for the $90 greens fees. Seemed like a decent course though.

Pacific Grove is definitely good value. Black Horse Bayonet is close and a beautiful course. La Purisima is really kept up nice. Avila Beach is a fun central coast course as well.

San Clemente Municipal is a very nice 18 hole tract especially the back nine which has ocean views from 6 or 7 holes and is very reasonably priced as well. They built a very nice clubhouse and the new restaurant is now is one of the most popular restaurants in town for golfers and non golfers alike!

Definitely not the best course in the world but a great value and if you want to see what Cucuya grass is like (Riviera) this is one of the few places in So. Cal that you can "Experience" golf's version of Velcro :D

Los Verdes has to be the slowest course in the country.

Long indeed.

Played there last Saturday for my birthday. Started at 3pm and got up to the 15th hole at 8pm. They allow five-somes. They give preference to the locals for booking better tee times. I wouldn't have minded the slow pace if the sun was actually out so we could enjoy the ocean views.

Eagle Glen, Trilogy and Talega are my favorites so far.

Back