Contemplating re-gripping my clubs

Golf Chick

Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
I've had my clubs about a year now so I'm thinking its time to re-grip them. And
the fact that they give me blisters because they're so [hard]? and not really comfortably grippable.

Is there a way to test out grips before I make them permanently attached to my clubs?
What should I look for in grips? Mine right now have no padding at all and they're harder than hard.

Around how much does it cost to re-grip say...14 clubs, well, maybe not quite that much, I'll exclude
the putter and LW. So about 10 clubs. How long will it take as well? The BF was thinking of me
just getting a new set of clubs since I've almost outgrown mine (hee hee) instead of re-gripping
them.

If it's between re-gripping or buying new, re-gripping is the definitely cheaper option. New clubs are always nice though!! :D Make sure you get fit though if you get new!!

Most golf stores will have sample grips installed on shafts so you know how they'll feel once installed. I know that Golf Galaxy has a display of all their grips on cut-down shafts so you can feel how firm and tacky the grips are.

IIRC grips cost about $2 each to install. I install grips that I buy on eBay on my own clubs so it's been awhile since I've had to pay for the installs.

I just had my wedges re-gripped (because I ordered them too big) and the Golf Pride Tour Velvets cost me $6 each with no installation charge at GolfUSA.

Grips are mostly personal preference for feel, durability, and local climate. I haven't found my perfect grip yet but I do like the Tour Velvets.

Most major stores have what bonk described. Just pick one you feel comfortable with and make sure you get the right size. Regripping is definitely the cheaper option. If you buy at a B&M most of them will install for free for you.

I've had my clubs about a year now so I'm thinking its time to re-grip them. And
the fact that they give me blisters because they're so [hard]? and not really comfortably grippable.

Is there a way to test out grips before I make them permanently attached to my clubs?
What should I look for in grips? Mine right now have no padding at all and they're harder than hard.

Around how much does it cost to re-grip say...14 clubs, well, maybe not quite that much, I'll exclude
the putter and LW. So about 10 clubs. How long will it take as well? The BF was thinking of me just getting a new set of clubs since I've almost outgrown mine (hee hee) instead of re-gripping
them.

9 Iron is right, regripping is much cheaper. But my BIL used to buy the latest Callaways when they came out whenever he needed new grips! He would have a new set every two years!

At Golf Discount here in KC they charge a couple of bucks per grip to remove and put on new grips (plus the cost of the grip). Doesn't take them long, maybe an hour for the whole set?

EDIT: After reading the other two posts, maybe they don't charge, I've only gotten putter grips done there and always buy other things while I'm there, so I was just figuring there was a charge. If there is I know it wasn't much.
But if you really want new clubs, may as well go for it!

If you want something softer Winn grips would be tough to beat. Around here you can grips put on for around $10 a club. They charge for the grips and the installation is free.

If you want something softer Winn grips would be tough to beat. Around here you can grips put on for around $10 a club. They charge for the grips and the installation is free.

I'm looking for cushy...something not too stiff and hard like my current grips. They're the stock Wilson ones that came with my clubs already.

For $10 a grip, installation should be free!

I would say look at the value of the set you own presetly versus the cost of re-gripping versus the cost of another set. I know when you buy clubs at Roger Dunn (new or used) and ask them to re-grip them for you they will discount the price of the clubs.

IMO you will love the feel of Winn grips if you are looking for cushy. Also, I have DD2's (golfpride) and they are pretty cushy but not SMUSH.
I'm looking for cushy...something not too stiff and hard like my current grips. They're the stock Wilson ones that came with my clubs already.

I would say look at the value of the set you own presetly versus the cost of re-gripping versus the cost of another set. I know when you buy clubs at Roger Dunn (new or used) and ask them to re-grip them for you they will discount the price of the clubs.

In that case, it may not be worth it to re-grip my clubs then :confused2: They still offer the Wilson Hope set, but not with the clubs that I have, so even though I purchased my set last year, they could very well be a year or two older than that.

If you looking for extra tackyness, you might just try soap and water and a scrub brush. If you really want to change your grip...go to any major golf store and they usually have grips you can feel on cut down shafts as previously mentioned. Every manufacturer has a variety of many different types of grips which I am sure you could find one to your liking and desired price. :cool:

I came across a grip company that you can install solvent free. It is installed using an air compressor. I just can't find the link right now. My buddy used to have them on a set and liked them.

If you looking for extra tackyness, you might just try soap and water and a scrub brush.
So true! Won't help with the OP's issue (hard grips) but for anyone who has grips that are getting slippery, this makes a HUGE difference. The tackiness comes right back.

Makes you cringe a little when you think of what you just washed off the grip!

Golf Chick, you might want to look at Golf Pride tour wraps. They're usually cheaper than Winn grips but they still give you more cushion than a standard grip.

The correct answer is:

Spoiler
buy new clubs hehe

It sort of seems like the better option...

It is always the more fun option. If your current clubs fit you properly, a grip change is the more economical idea. If there are adjustments that need made, a new set will probably be the better option.

Have a chat with your instructor too. I know this spring, I was thinking about regripping my irons for exactly the same reasons you are now. My instructor spent some time looking more at where my game was going than where it was currently at and together we decided that I indeed had outgrown my Square Two clubs (nice clubs but flex all wrong) and it was time for me to get new clubs that were fit for me versus buying a complete set of new clubs. We ended up regripping two of my old clubs (3W and5W) just to get me thru the summer until I could buy new Fairway woods. The new grips made the difference with those two clubs.

Back