Playing the 'Sheep Farm'

RxGus

Argyle Warrior
Reaction score
Handicap
Winter
Last edited:
god that looks awesome, and tough! what a cool article.

I want a picture of this "vortex green"

good luck with that. i just love the mystery and the chance involved with even getting to play there.

I think the appeal of it for me is that there isnt a score card, or a yardage. It is as much about the adventure and the enjoyment of a shared (and unique) experience with your playing partners. It has the feel of back yard golf that I played as a kid.

The author played exactly into that hand about how it was about the enjoyment of golf and not the competition.
That is what makes the place seem so magical

i agree completely gus! i think that we could all use some rounds of golf like this sometimes, instead of obsessing over yardages, and what to hit here, and what to hit there. it's nice to just enjoy being outside and taking in all the sights, sounds and smells that some golf courses can offer.

It's certainly different. I think it would be cool to come up with some different courses. Maybe some higher par course say 76 or so maybe even higher. I may be nuts but I think it would be cool to have more par 5 holes.

It's certainly different. I think it would be cool to come up with some different courses. Maybe some higher par course say 76 or so maybe even higher. I may be nuts but I think it would be cool to have more par 5 holes.

I am not even sure I would keep track of par. I would just chase a little white ball around a field for 5+ hours.

I love courses with 6/6/6 designs!

i've never played one, but can see the fun in it. does it ultimately save a lot of land and development?

looks and sounds very cool

That whole stretch of the Oregon coast is a slice of golf manna from the gods. Lots of courses of varying styles. A great way to spend a week!

Sounds like one amazing day. Its a shame there isn't more places like that.

Foudn good Site on SHeep ranch here:
http://punchbowlgolf.com/2009/04/the-sheep-ranch/
THeres a video too. I think it mentioned a nearby golf supply store that can get you a tee time.

Man go onto google maps and type in bandon dunes oregon. Switch to the satellite mode and follow the coast line north. A couple of "ghostly" Shaped greens along the coast. They don't pop out like Bandon does to the south. Creepy yet very cool. Looks like a great day with buddies.
Here's a link to google maps don't know if it will work/ show what I found.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Sheep+Ranch+Golf+Course&sll=43.219845,-124.396713&sspn=0.003378,0.006201&gl=us&ie=UTF8&t=h&split=1&filter=0&rq=1&ev=zo&radius=0.19&hq=Sheep+Ranch+Golf+Course&hnear=&ll=43.219892,-124.396412&spn=0.003378,0.010289&z=17

Last edited:
Awesome article. Thanks Gus!

Foudn good Site on SHeep ranch here:
http://punchbowlgolf.com/2009/04/the-sheep-ranch/
THeres a video too. I think it mentioned a nearby golf supply store that can get you a tee time.

Man go onto google maps and type in bandon dunes oregon. Switch to the satellite mode and follow the coast line north. A couple of "ghostly" Shaped greens along the coast. They don't pop out like Bandon does to the south. Creepy yet very cool. Looks like a great day with buddies.
Here's a link to google maps don't know if it will work/ show what I found.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Sheep+Ranch+Golf+Course&sll=43.219845,-124.396713&sspn=0.003378,0.006201&gl=us&ie=UTF8&t=h&split=1&filter=0&rq=1&ev=zo&radius=0.19&hq=Sheep+Ranch+Golf+Course&hnear=&ll=43.219892,-124.396412&spn=0.003378,0.010289&z=17

Thanks for the investigating SH!!!
I have always had a trip to bandon dunes on my golf bucketlist- but I think that may now be the #2 reason for traveling to Brandon.

It has been a long time since I read a "golf course" review that made me yearn in my stomach to play that "course".

I wish I had seen this thread when it first came up . . .

I was lucky enough to play The Sheep Ranch last fall and I rate it as the best day of golf I've ever had, including days at Pebble Beach. Frost kept us off the course until 9:45 a.m., but we played virtually non-stop until about 6 p.m., when it finally became too dark to see anything. I'm guessing we played at least 50 holes, making up our own routing the entire time.

All I can say is, if you really love golf and wish you could experience it's most basic form, don't pass up a chance to play the Sheep Ranch.

On the other hand, if you need a cart, immaculate fairways, smooth greens, raked bunkers, yardage markers, a clubhouse, or a clue where you're going before you hit every shot, you probably won't like it.

I wish I had seen this thread when it first came up . . .

I was lucky enough to play The Sheep Ranch last fall and I rate it as the best day of golf I've ever had, including days at Pebble Beach. Frost kept us off the course until 9:45 a.m., but we played virtually non-stop until about 6 p.m., when it finally became too dark to see anything. I'm guessing we played at least 50 holes, making up our own routing the entire time.

All I can say is, if you really love golf and wish you could experience it's most basic form, don't pass up a chance to play the Sheep Ranch.

On the other hand, if you need a cart, immaculate fairways, smooth greens, raked bunkers, yardage markers, a clubhouse, or a clue where you're going before you hit every shot, you probably won't like it.

How did you get a tee time? One website mentions a local golf shop nearby......
The sheep ranch seems like a dream come true for me.
Reminds me of my high school days working at this really upscale country club (not the course, the expeiriance). With 30 mins to go before sundown, all of us ball boys/caddies/greenskeepers would just walk out onto the course and just play. No time to play for real, we would go straight to shots that we felt were challanging. Nobody said anything, the members just let us do it. Anyways there was a moment when my buddy was teeing off the 11th tee, aiming over the 14th fairway and hitting onto the 17th par three green, that made me wish I could do this forever with buddies.
We used to spend all day talking about shots:
"I bet from the 3rd fairway I could hit a screaming hook round that tree onto the 1st hole's green."
"5 bucks says you can't"
Guess where I was standing 20 mins before sundown....

edit: the members started catching onto what we were doing, and thus it became a tradition to play "cross country" golf the last half hour of the day.

I would LOVE to play this course...reading that article sounds like the most incredible day. play is limited to 2 foursomes a day at the most? just amazing that someone in this day & age is able to only care about the love of the game and not just money.

How did you get a tee time? One website mentions a local golf shop nearby......

We just called Bandon Golf Supply (bandongolfsupply.com) and were able to get a mid-week day for about 18-20 guys in early December with no problem. I think it was $100 per person to play all day.

I'm going back to Bandon in a few months, but I've signed up to play Old Macdonald instead of the Sheep Ranch this year.

We just called Bandon Golf Supply (bandongolfsupply.com) and were able to get a mid-week day for about 18-20 guys in early December with no problem. I think it was $100 per person to play all day.

I'm going back to Bandon in a few months, but I've signed up to play Old Macdonald instead of the Sheep Ranch this year.
20 people? so I guess that comment in the article about 2 foursomes a day max isn't true then?

20 people? so I guess that comment in the article about 2 foursomes a day max isn't true then?

I think because we were all part of one group it was OK. I can see how it would be a problem if too many unrelated groups were on the course at the same time. We tried to spread out, but we did hit into one another a few times when we had blind shots. Several times we teed off in the direction of one green, then saw another group hitting to the same green. In those cases, we just selected another green and went a different direction. That's part of the charm of literally making it up as you go along.

Back