Best Municipal you've played

Yep. Owned by the great city of Gatlinburg. Usually pay $50 bucks. I believe it was on Golf Digests 50 best a couple of years ago. There are some breathtaking views of the Smoky Mountains. It's located near Dollywood.

You're just saying that because they sell Monkey Disco t-shirts in the pro-shop :D

Torrey Pines! Every day for a week. Ahhhhhh

Wintonbury Hills in Bloomfield, CT. Beautiful Pete Dye layout.

My favorite muni doesn't seem like it compares with most of these, but it has to be Five Ponds Golf Club in Warminster, PA.

http://www.5pondsgc.com/

fivepondshole5.jpg

$35 to walk Monday thru Thursday
$40 on Friday
$45 (after 1:00) on Weekends.

Its a fairly short course and pretty wide open, but always in immaculate condition.

Yep. Owned by the great city of Gatlinburg. Usually pay $50 bucks. I believe it was on Golf Digests 50 best a couple of years ago. There are some breathtaking views of the Smoky Mountains. It's located near Dollywood.

Never would have thought! So then do people pay extra each month for the amenities of the Country Club, but anyone can use the golf course?

hawaii - mililani... well not really but it was were i hung out as a kid when i didnt go to the beach

san diego - torrey pines goes without question

virginia beach - red wing lake... beside me working there... there isnt even a comparison to the other muni's around here... it looks like a country club course against goat tracks

oh yeah... tpc virginia beach was bought out by the city and is now virginia national if that counts as a muni then that takes the cake

Never would have thought! So then do people pay extra each month for the amenities of the Country Club, but anyone can use the golf course?

Maybe its different by you guys but there is a bunch of places here with Country Club in the name that offer none of the amenities of a CC.

Maybe its different by you guys but there is a bunch of places here with Country Club in the name that offer none of the amenities of a CC.

Ahh, bait and switch! hehehe

I'm curious for you San Diego golfers, I know Torrey Pines is the place to be, but does the city take care of the other courses in the area? In San Francisco, besides Harding Park, the other city owned golf courses are a joke. Bumpy greens and daisy filled fairways. I wouldn't even call it golf when you're playing these courses. Total ripoff.

Any one can play. There are no amenities that I know of now. When I was a kid, they had an olympic sized outdoor pool. You just paid for the pool seperately. They filled it in and expanded the club house around 15 years ago. I think they just call it a country club but it really isnt. The next town over has a course called Danderidge Country Club and it is city owned and there are no monthly fees either. Maybe it just makes us hillbillies feel better to call it a cc.:confused2:

I'm curious for you San Diego golfers, I know Torrey Pines is the place to be, but does the city take care of the other courses in the area? In San Francisco, besides Harding Park, the other city owned golf courses are a joke. Bumpy greens and daisy filled fairways. I wouldn't even call it golf when you're playing these courses. Total ripoff.
now why would we play anywhere else when resident rates for torrey are under 50 bucks?... hahaha

its like that here in virginia beach also... they have 3 muni's and 2 are just horrendous goat tracks with cement fw's and dirt teebox's

now why would we play anywhere else when resident rates for torrey are under 50 bucks?... hahaha

its like that here in virginia beach also... they have 3 muni's and 2 are just horrendous goat tracks with cement fw's and dirt teebox's

YEAHYEAHYEAH. They did away with the county resident rate so as im outside of the city I get to pay full price if i want to play.

As for the 3 Munis i can think of off the top of my head, Balboa, No clue. Chula Vista looks nice but i have yet to play it. And Coronado is NICE. hoping to play there in a few weeks. BUt really they look to be better than the way BR describes the munis in VB. LMAO!!

YEAHYEAHYEAH. They did away with the county resident rate so as im outside of the city I get to pay full price if i want to play.

As for the 3 Munis i can think of off the top of my head, Balboa, No clue. Chula Vista looks nice but i have yet to play it. And Coronado is NICE. hoping to play there in a few weeks. BUt really they look to be better than the way BR describes the munis in VB. LMAO!!

guess its been awhile since i played TP... i wonder if PB is considered a part of la jolla? full price from chula vista is ridiculous
coronado is fun but i have bad experiences there... plus i know the fam that owned(?) it... lolz

yeah vb has 3 muni's and one is like their baby... there are no houses its by the beach a bunch of natural water features surrounded by trees... great course on certain days... plus im a lil biased cuz i work there
the other 2 munis are in the middle of neighborhoods... the staff arent cool... maintenance doesnt care if youre playing and maintenance is a very loose term... you literally can play the course with 2 putters... one to skip along the ground all the way to the green and the other to try to get in the hole if you can navigate all the ballmarks nobody fixes

but like i said... the city owns a tpc here and if you count that as a muni... then youre in for a treat

We really haven't played Munisipal courses yet, but we've started too. Over the weekend we played at De Bell in Burbank. I'll take pictures the next time we're there, its nice there. You're high up in the mountains (with lots of bugs). Its a tough one! Par 72, 5004 yards (for me!) from the front tees. Is $50/person with a cart!

We really haven't played Munisipal courses yet, but we've started too. Over the weekend we played at De Bell in Burbank. I'll take pictures the next time we're there, its nice there. You're high up in the mountains (with lots of bugs). Its a tough one! Par 72, 5004 yards (for me!) from the front tees. Is $50/person with a cart!

De Bell is a tough course because it is very tight and you have to select your clubs off the tee. Lots of F-bombs dropped there because it is so tough.

Regarding Los Verdes, I think the back 9 is nice, but it is not worth the 6 hour round. The starter tries to send out all 5 somes on the weekend and 3 hours for 9 holes is very painful.

Pacific Grove is on my list of places to play next.

I played a course in San Jose called The Ranch Golf Club. Not sure if it is a muni, but it is open to the public. Great views and a REALLY tough course. Almost every hole you have to hit over a barranca or canyon between tee and fairway and then same thing between fairway and green. It's the kind of course that a dozen balls in the bag just might not be enough! LOL.

http://www.theranchgc.com/index.php

Pecan Hollow, Plano TX

I played a course in San Jose called The Ranch Golf Club. Not sure if it is a muni, but it is open to the public. Great views and a REALLY tough course. Almost every hole you have to hit over a barranca or canyon between tee and fairway and then same thing between fairway and green. It's the kind of course that a dozen balls in the bag just might not be enough! LOL.

http://www.theranchgc.com/index.php

It was Semi-private back when I lived in San Jose

Lassing Pointe Golf Course in Union, Ky. is the best muni I've played so far.

Bryan Park near Greensboro,NC. They have two courses, the Players and the Champions and both are very challenging. The players, 73.7rating, 131slope, 7076yds, and the Champion, 74.4 rating, 130 slope, 7135 yds. The Champions held the US Amateur Publinks tourney this year.

Lassing Pointe Golf Course in Union, Ky. is the best muni I've played so far.

I agree with this one, it is a very good muni in the NKY (northern kentucky / lower cincinnati) area

Wailua Muni, Kauai, HI. The first three and the last three holes run along the ocean. Long and wide open. Play midweek if you do.

http://www.kauai.gov/golf

I would have to go Bethpage Black and it's little brother Red. Red gets none of the glory but it's still a heck of a course. Also drive out east and play Montauk Downs. Beautiful course. My favorite memories are from Sunken Meadow State Park which was a horrid golf course but it was $10 to play 9 and you could pretty much stay hidden around that course and get in 27 holes no problem. Grew up on that course and had some really great times there.

Best municipal course around here is Santa Maria Golf Club. Pricing is at $28 weekdays, $38 for weekends.

Santa%20Maria%201.jpg

"Santa Maria has consistently received Golf Digest's highest ranking for a municipal course. It is conveniently located one mile off historic Highland Road near I-10.

Designed by Robert Trent Jones, Sr., the course is built on 150 acres of rolling terrain, featuring 15 lakes and two natural waterways. Sand and grass bunkers, exquisite Bermuda fairways and ancient oaks provide the perfect setting for a memorable test of golf. The 18-hole course measures 6,969 yards in length from the championship tees. The Spanish-style clubhouse includes a pro shop, a full-service restaurant and a private conference/dining room and fitness center. Champions Grill overlooks the beautiful par-five finishing hole. Santa Maria recently purchased a new fleet of golf carts and equipped them all with optional-use GPS units. Tee times may be booked six days in advance.

Santa Maria reopened to the public May 27, 2006 after being closed for a year for the first major renovations in the course's history. Improvements totaling more than 2.1 million dollars were made to nearly every aspect of the course including: adding new greenside and fairway bunkers to restore original Robert Trent Jones, Sr. design, new concession and clubhouse facilities, reshaping and replanting of tees, greens and fairways, new bulkheads and sheet pilings along waterways, new restrooms, and major repairs to cart paths."

Back