Do you actually use your fairway wood in the fairway?

Interesting thread.
I have recently been considering replacing my 3 wood with a hybrid or rescue club. I only hit it off the tee when needed since I have lost confidence in hitting from the fairway. Ever since I got hybrids in my new set and learned how to hit them, I seem to have lost my 3 wood swing I used to have......I do carry a 5 and 7 wood and have no problems with those.
I do like to use it for any trouble I get into if I have to hit a low runner from under something but other than that it pretty much stays in the bag.
Not sure what to replace it with though....

I use my FWs from the fairway if I need them to get me within wedge distance (110 yds and in).

i might hit my 3w once every 36 holes off the fairway, but off the tee thats another story. just got the new superfast and thinking i will tee off with it alot more than driver now. id rather be 230 and straight down the fairway than 270 and in the trees any day.

I mostly use my 3wood off the tee, but if I have a 230-250 yard shot into an open green on a par 5, I'll take a shot. I'm not uncomfortable using it off the deck.

But then again, I'll also hit my driver off the deck if I need a 300+ carry into a green, especially when I'm playing off those tour tees...

7 wood- all the time- its my favorite club.
4 wood- almost never on my home course but on some other courses long par 3's I bring it out.

The 3wd is my favorite club. I use it every chance I get from the tee on a tight par 4 and I definatley use it on long par 5's off the deck. For some reason I have always hit woods well off the deck. Nothing like putting the ball on the dance floor in two on a par 5 with my 3wd.

The way I used to hit my 3 woods, I would hesitate to ever use them. But with my Wilson Fybrids, I've gained so much improvement and confidence in my long woods and hybrids, that I use my 3 wd from time to time on the fairway. The toughest part for me is choosing amongst my Fybrid 3 and 5 wood, 19.5 fybrid, and 3 and 4 hybrids as far as what clubs to put in the bag during a round.

I generally avoid 3w from the fairway, my skill level and my distances just don't line up for me to use it very often

I'm not a long hitter, but 3wd would be 220-230 or so and from that distance I generally have no business going for the green (I score better by laying up in those cases)

I will use my 3wd from the turf from time to time, but it's not a smart play for my game

I do use my 3wd to tee off all the time, I actually tee off with driver less than half the time on par 4s or 5s

I use my 3 wood all the time, since it's my second best club in the bag. I find that I often use it instead of my driver since I have more confidence in it.

Unfortunately, it makes for a longer shot following, and I am worse with my longer irons. So, I either hit my driver poorly, or a nice 3 wood followed by a poor next shot...

3W off the deck is my favorite shot. Not always my BEST shot, mind, but there's nothing quite as much fun as striping one 250-270 from the fairway to an open green. For a hard-swinging high handicap like me, it's high-risk, high-reward, though--much easier to get into major trouble if I come across it too much than it is with my 3H, which is pretty much point-and shoot at around 230.

I don teven own a 3W anymore. Have a 4W that I hit pretty good off the tee but have typically struggled out of the fairway with that club. I had started using more hybrids. My 17 and 23 degree hybrids are some of my favorite clubs. I want to spend more time getting confortable with teh woods because having one will help me with thoses 200 plus yard shots. I guess I need more practice with it.

I love my 3, 5 and 7 wood, especially my 7 wood on fairway shots. I almost always pull out the 3 wood on a 200+ yard shot. Since I have taken lessons, I have a smoother/shorter swing and don't try to kill it anymore. That has made all the difference.

My 3w is a 4w, but I only use it if my ball is sitting up in the rough -- like having a tee, and the ball comes out hot.

I'd say 2/10 times I'll go for it on a Par 5. I pull out the bushnell and see If I have the club to get there. I asses the risks of going for it and if I find myself in a good position I will go for it if its an accesable pin. If I am out of range I play to 115 yards and lay up. If I am inside that I am screwed because that is my shank range.

I actually feel more comfortable hitting my woods off the fairway than off the tee box.

I like to hit my 3w Cleveland Launcher off the tee. At some of the local courses here, I try and reach the green in 2 with the 3w, but my go to club is 3h. Its about 30-40 yds short but good lay up. I guess it depends on hole and how I'm swinging. I really need a good 5w for these situations but have yet to find one, affordable anyways.

I got brave today and went for it with the 3W. Lol I totally chunked it after freaking myself out. Stupid brain.

I don't own a 3-wood....... Hybrids for me, I have a 16 degree, 18 degree, & 20 degree. I changed up my iron set a bit and now play 4 - pw, sw, & lw. To keep it legal I have to take one of the hybrids out or the lw so it depends on where I play as to what my setup will be.

I love my 3w off the deck. I use it off the tee 2-3 times a round and at my home course, usually on two of the par 5s. I can hit it very well off the deck and am super confident with it. I think it really boils down to that as much as anything else.

I love using my 3w off the deck or on the tee. I love using my 5w out of the intermediate/favorable rough. I have tried and tried to hit a hybrid and can't so I'll stick to my fairway metals that treat me pretty well. I would say between the two I usually have 5-7 shots per round whether its off the tee or par 5's.

I'd say 90% of usage off tee, 10% of usage off the deck only if the lie is good and I shorted on my driver on long 4's and 5's.

I think finding that magical 3 or 4 wood will be my next buy. Right now, I only consider hitting my 3 wood if I'm in the middle of the fairway on a perfect lie, otherwise I just pull out my 2 hybrid and basically lay up.

I love my 4 hybrid, like my 2 hybrid and hate my 3 wood even though it is actually hybrid like. It has way too many ups and downs.

Do the people who don't like to use their three wood have higher profile clubs? There is a thread here, (http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?12387-3-Wood-which-has-the-biggest-head) that I wonder about whether using a large headed fairway wood makes people prefer them on the tee box only.

On the other hand, do the people who don't have a problem using their three wood anywhere tend to use a lower profile? (like the Orlimars or similar)

EDIT: I decided to make a thread on this subject rather having this get lost in here.

Last edited:
Mine is pretty low profile and is made to hit from the fairway. I've used it off mats with success.

I've been loving my three wood lately. It's an R9, which is a some what larger profile, and carries very well off the deck as long as I don't try to come out of my shoes hitting it. I think a lot of people, myself included, pick up the 3 wood when they really need to make up a bunch of distance and then try to hit it a mile rather than smoothing it out there and letting it do what its meant to do. With the stronger loft, longer shaft and larger head a smooth swing should give it a mid trajectory with good distance. Around 220 yards seem's right for me.

the course here has two monster par 5's and a good drive puts me in the range to be able to go for it in two so i like to try to use it, but mainly i use it to place tee shots on dog legs or narrow fairways with lots of trouble

Back