Do you actually use your fairway wood in the fairway?

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I was thinking about the fact that I only use my 3W off the tee and wondering if anybody else is the same way.

I never go for the green in two on a par 5, so I don't need it for that. If I have a long distance for second shot into a Par 4 I will usually play to a number, or hit the longest club that I'm comfortable with, which is my 19.5° hybrid. I just don't have the accuracy to fire at a green from 200+ yards with a 3W and don't think it's worth the risk. How about you?

Last edited:
I use mine a lot. I should actually start carrying a 5-wood again too. I quit when I started hittinng hybrids. For the longest time, my 7-wood used to be my favorite club.

i rarely hit a fwy wood off the deck but use to use one a good bit off the tee. i seriously could've used one yesterday *ugh*

I am like you, Hawk, I only use my 3W off the tee. There have been a few times when I was feeling gutsy and I pulled my 3W to hit of the fairway but that was when my round was already shot so I was just trying different shots for the fun of it. It actually worked. I needed to get over the water and onto the green and it was about 130 yards out and I was on pace for a 60 (I was on the 9th hole already) so I grabbed my 3W and hit it pure made it right over the water and onto the green and sure enough I 2 putt for bogey. The best hole I had on the front 9 haha. That was the same round where my back 9 I shot a 49 so it worked out well. However, I have tried that one other time after that awesome shot and it was a disaster.

It kind of depends on how good or bad Im hitting driver that day. On my bad (short) days I tent to hit it more often. And I usually hit it off the tee a few times a round too. Sometimes on par 5's my drive is so bad hitting 3W IS playing to a number lol

• Staff
If I'm so far away on a par 4 that I need to pull out the 3W, I'm already in a world of trouble. My go-to clubs for those situations are my 2h and 4h. Sometimes I just pull out the 4h knowing that I'll be short 50+ yards, but in those situations I need a confidence club.

I use it a lot of the tee. Now that I switched to a 17 degree 3 wood(essentially a 4 wood) I find it easier to hit off the deck and from the rough. I don't hesitate as much now to hit those types of shots as I used to. Its all about confidence

Aye the 3 FW metal. Prior to the Dymo I just used it off the tee. Every once in a while I'd duff it off the deck. I had a diablo prior and just couldnt hit it. With the Dymo, I hit off the deck when I duff a drive and use it off the tee. The thing is so easy to hit and has great distance/forgiveness. I'm really not trying to sell them but it has really changed the way I use my 3W. I still dont go for par 5's with water though. Anything else is fair game.

I use it off the deck. I have a par 5 where a 3w is a good layup club for me.

I was thinking about the fact that I only use my 3W off the tee and wondering if anybody else is the same way.

I never go for the green in two on a par 5, so I don't need it for that. If I have a long distance for second shot into a Par 4 I will usually play to a number, or hit the longest club that I'm comfortable with, which is my 19.5° hybrid. I just don't have the accuracy to fire at a green from 200+ yards with a 3W and don't think it's worth the risk. How about you?

Of course. Isn't that what it's there for? It's not just for going for par 5's in 2. It's for any time that I want to hit the ball around 220-230 yards. Sometimes that might be because I just hacked my driver(or maybe didn't get the usual height and hit that damn tree instead of carrying over it :confused2: ). Any time I have that distance to the green or to a layup point, or need to be shorter or more cautious off the tee, I use my 3W. It's a weak 3W at 15°, so it's pretty forgiving.

If I couldn't hit it from fairway or light rough, it wouldn't be in the bag.

The other day my tee shot on a par 5 ended up under a tree and sitting on some exposed roots. I just took a half swing with the 3W and picked the ball cleanly off the roots without even touching them. Punched it about 180 yards down the fairway right to the 150 markers.

I used to think anything less then driver off of the tee was a wasted opportunity. Who knew that youd get more birdies by usually taking less club off of the tee

If I couldn't hit it from fairway or light rough, it wouldn't be in the bag.

I have been looking at my bag lately to see what club I didn't really use often and there were two. The 3W and my 2h. I've been using the 2h more now (with good results) as I've gotten more comfortable with it, but the 3W only comes out a couple times a round, if that. I suppose I need more practice with it, but that 200+ plus shot from the fairway isn't all that common (for me) and I don't have the confidence needed to pull it off at this point.

I like the Northwestern better than the TM knockoff 3-wood because it's a much lower profile (very similar to the old Orlimars). The 5 or 7 would work with either brand for me. But if I take the knockoff to the course, I'm not as confident with it in the fairway although I do like it better off the tee when needed.

I use my 7W quite a bit and my hybrid from the fairway. I also use my 6i as I hit it about 130 yds. I have to admit I really want a good fairway wood because I don't hit the 7W or 5W I have very well (i.e. using old clubs, haven't been fitted for good fairway wood). I'm holding off on buying one until after the THP Fall Demo Days before I order one. I use my 3W all the time off the tee but like so many of you never use it in the fairway.

I carry one, but only use when I absolutely have to. Next to my driver, it's unfortunately the hard club in my bag to hit. Sometimes it comes out when I've got a long way to go to the pin. The rest of the time it's used when I duff a tee shot and land in the rough. I actually hit a great one of those shots a week and a half ago.

I used to think anything less then driver off of the tee was a wasted opportunity. Who knew that youd get more birdies by usually taking less club off of the tee

Such a true statement. Golf is not always "pedal to the floor" sometimes you need to apply the brake.

My 3w is out of my bag for the moment, was not really using it. I left the 5w in cause when I hit it, I would hit it better than the 3w. Maybe the shaft is better for me I dont know ( but will find out in Florida).

I never hit my 3 wood from the fairway or rough, only off the tee, and rarely off of that now. Once my new one shows up I'll give it a try, but you never know. I find it difficult to hit a wood off the turf, but my 3 iron rescue is super easy off turf, I hit that from 250-215 range in.

I never hit my 3 wood from the fairway or rough, only off the tee, and rarely off of that now. Once my new one shows up I'll give it a try, but you never know. I find it difficult to hit a wood off the turf, but my 3 iron rescue is super easy off turf, I hit that from 250-215 range in.

My 2h is usually good for 195-205 (depending on course conditions and wind), so I don't usually need a longer club off the fairway.

I'd use my Launcher off the deck but I don't trust my Superfast yet so I just use a hybrid.

Since I haven't been able to hit with my 3w yet, I've been using my 4h. It gets the job done :good:

Don't carry a 3 wood currently. I use Baffler hybrids for the longer shots off the deck- a 2 and a 4. I hit my 2 about the same as a 3 wood off the tee.

I'm usually long enough off the tee (with my driver or 3 wood) that I don't have much of an opportunity to hit my 3 wood on approach shots. However, if I did have a situation where I needed to hit my 3 wood off the fairway or from light rough, I wouldn't mind doing it. It's become my go to club for shorter par 4's (we have a par 4 that is a little under 300.. anything with my driver usually ends up in the trees over the green), and also when there is a lot of trouble right or left of the fairway and I know I need to hit it straight.

My three wood will get used on occasion off the deck but my 5 wood seems to get a good bit of use.

I use it when needed. Tee, rough, fairway....who knows with me. haha

I like how if i need a high teeshot with my 3wood, i can tee it up. but if i want a low teeshot, i just hit it off the deck

Back