Official NBA Thread

To each his own....but, if you ask me, I think this whole process and his "decision" was WAAAAAAY overblown. Seriously, do we need an hour "special" on LeBron just so he could tell us where he's going to play? He's a very good player, one of the top 2 or 3 in the NBA right now, but seriously, just sign your contract and tell us where you're playing.

And I thought all the high school football press conferences where kids were sitting down and acting like they were going to put on a hat from Florida, then puts it down, then picks up the Alabama hat, and throws it to the side, then picks up a USC hat says "Naaahhhh"....then finally puts on an Ohio State hat were ridiculous.

Everyone could use a little bit of humility....there's something to be said about the character of a person who doesn't live by the attitude of "me, me, me".

yup thats what im thinking as well and i also think it will work to for some players. i mean who would not want to play with them and have a shot at a title?

I don't think they'll have a problem signing guys. I'm nit an NBA guy, but I'll watch the heat this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To each his own....but, if you ask me, I think this whole process and his "decision" was WAAAAAAY overblown. Seriously, do we need an hour "special" on LeBron just so he could tell us where he's going to play? He's a very good player, one of the top 2 or 3 in the NBA right now, but seriously, just sign your contract and tell us where you're playing.

And I thought all the high school football press conferences where kids were sitting down and acting like they were going to put on a hat from Florida, then puts it down, then picks up the Alabama hat, and throws it to the side, then picks up a USC hat says "Naaahhhh"....then finally puts on an Ohio State hat were ridiculous.

Everyone could use a little bit of humility....there's something to be said about the character of a person who doesn't live by the attitude of "me, me, me".

Agree 100%!

I don't think they'll have a problem signing guys. I'm nit an NBA guy, but I'll watch the heat this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

me neither. i think they will be just fine. and if not, o well they got who they wanted to get and can build around them..

Saw this open letter to Cav fans, think the owner is a little bitter?

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/07/gilberts_letter_to_fans_james.html

After reading the letter, I'm so happy King James left. He even went on to say LBJ quit on the team during the playoffs. What a classless act after all the money LBJ has made for this guy. He owes him nothing.

Dan Gilbert simply screwed up in trying to build a winning team Cleveland. All the players they signed and traded for were quick fixes and weren't going to lead them to a title. If they only took the slick Pat Riley approach and took your beatings in order create space to sign legitament talent to pair with Lebron James, maybe they would be the team with Wade and Bosh.

I'm already excited for the upcoming NBA season. People are saying the Miami trio can't win it, but Lebron is the most talented player in the league. Both he and Wade are able to turn one of the top 5 worst teams without them into playoff teams. Now paired together, I expect them to be in the NBA finals next year.

That letter is classless and makes me think less of that team than I ever have before. Here is a man that gave his blood sweat and tears for this organization every single night and was paid millions for it. He worked hard to improve his game and what happened was the owner and GM could not surround him with talent so he left.

I thought the circus was absurd and ridiculous. I think he has surrounded himself with inexperienced people that make bad decisions including this one hour special to punch Cleveland in the stomach rather than just making a decision like the other two did and everybody else does. But he made the right decision last night. He plays with tremendous talent now. He plays for an organization that has been committed to winning since the beginning. And he made the decision to win!

My guess is that they think they are going to find better players for the minimum then normal because of who they signed. They'll pitch "look who you get to play with and what a great chance to win a championship" to these guys and hope they bite on it.

yup thats what im thinking as well and i also think it will work to for some players. i mean who would not want to play with them and have a shot at a title?

Guys it does not really work that way. The league minimum is different depending on length of career. There are exemption contracts that can be up to 5 million for 9 + year veterans (think Payton and Malone to LA), but for the most part, there are not a ton of players out there to sign. Its not the NFL where players get waived really because the money is guaranteed. I could see Shaq joining them since he has played with two of them already and take an exemption, but he adds little value. Its clear they are going to trade Beas and Chalmers now and go after a guy like an Andre Miller. But they need depth and the league minimum guys could be real low (sub 500k depending on age) and I dont see quality guys signing for that. Not when somewhere else they can make millions. Its going to depend on whether they are willing to pay the luxury tax and previously they have said no.

Not that I would want to see it happen but what if someone were to get injured on the team. They are going to be so thin talent wise relying on the "big 3" that this is simply not an option. Additionaly the big 3 are going to have to play a majority of the minutes every game that come playoff time they are going to be exhausted. I say again Miami will not be taking a championsip home next season.

"The Decision" aka how to ruin your legacy in under an hour aka how to go from a King to a Pippen part Deux. I don't get this move. Way better chance of winning titles in Chicago who have an actual team.

As predicted, the Heat sent Beasley packing to the Wolves. this should mean they are adding Mike Miller to the team in his salary slot.

What do you think the heats best move could be to make their team even better JB? Miller? and..

How much cap do they even have left?

+100 LBJ could've'should've gone about this a different way but it's not like he didn't do a thing for Cleveland, the Cavs franchise, or it's owner. Ya know what Dan Gilbert? You tried and it didn't work. So LBJ leveraged his right (good, bad, or indifferent) that you helped negotiate in the last CBA and became a FA. You couldn't afford to bring in another player with LBJ because you're paying Shaq v18.0 millions for doing not much of anything but you rip LBJ? Nice
That letter is classless and makes me think less of that team than I ever have before. Here is a man that gave his blood sweat and tears for this organization every single night and was paid millions for it. He worked hard to improve his game and what happened was the owner and GM could not surround him with talent so he left.

I thought the circus was absurd and ridiculous. I think he has surrounded himself with inexperienced people that make bad decisions including this one hour special to punch Cleveland in the stomach rather than just making a decision like the other two did and everybody else does. But he made the right decision last night. He plays with tremendous talent now. He plays for an organization that has been committed to winning since the beginning. And he made the decision to win!

What do you think the heats best move could be to make their team even better JB? Miller? and..

Im not a GM. I have no idea. But they need a PG that can distribute and a big man that can play defense and rebound. Shaq and Miller come to mind. Then they need to find bench players. Jason Kapono or Kyle Korver can shoot, but struggle defensively. The rest are going be league minimum guys or past their prime veterans most likely.

+100 LBJ could've'should've gone about this a different way but it's not like he didn't do a thing for Cleveland, the Cavs franchise, or it's owner. Ya know what Dan Gilbert? You tried and it didn't work. So LBJ leveraged his right (good, bad, or indifferent) that you helped negotiate in the last CBA and became a FA. You couldn't afford to bring in another player with LBJ because you're paying Shaq v18.0 millions for doing not much of anything but you rip LBJ? Nice

That is exactly it. It sucks, but it is the nature of the beast. It is just the way LBJ went about it. I actually agree with just about everything Gilbert said. But you should NEVER say it. And if the guy is a quitter, why try and resign him? Bad judgement and in bad taste. By the way, Shaq is unrestricted now and would take less for a ring. Played with both Wade & James, could we see it?

A shooter or two plus a big man. their whole team is a bunch of penetrators so they need someone who can shoot so when the defense collapses they get burned.

I dont want to start a long argument about this because I know that very few people here will agree with me but...

Dan Gilbert is 100% right. He went about it in a very poor way but most of what he said, content wise, is spot on. LBJ DID give up in the celtic series. That isn't a 'homer' take on it... it was a huge topic of national discussion afterwards. He did destroy a cities fan base. Dan Gilbert simply expressed what EVERY Cleveland fan is feeling, which is betrayal. Premeditated, publicized, and Nationally covered betrayal.

LBJ was coddled by cleveland for 7 years. Nothing happened on that team without his stamp of approval. He is as guilty for the cap situation that cleveland is in as the management. Do you think they would have gotten shaq if LBJ didn't ask for him? The management has bent over backwards to accommodate James.

Some other pertinate quotes by Dan Gilbert
He has gotten a free pass, People have covered up for [James] for way too long. Tonight we saw who he really is. - Dan Gilbert
It's not about him leaving. It's the disrespect. It's time for people to hold these athletes accountable for their actions. Is this the way you raise your children? I've been holding this all in for a long time. -Dan Gilbert

I don't usually care for Gene Wojciechowski's writing... but his ESPN article about this subject is very well done.

It's awful to watch the collective heart of Cleveland sports be ripped out (again). And the saddest thing is that because of the circumstances of it happening (National Television,Ego Driven, etc etc) that LBJ just burned bridges to his boyhood home. Right or wrong, I have a hard time seeing LBJ ever being "welcomed" by the general public in Cleveland again, and aside from his friends in Akron I think that bridge was burned too.

Two other points I would like to point out about this:
#1 MJ would have NEVER chosen to play with another alpha player in their prime, for their city.
#2 Wade will ALWAYS have one more ring than LBJ.

He may win his rings... but he effectively removed himself from any GOAT conversation. A conversation he would have been in had he won them without another Hall of Famer in his prime.

I dont want to start a long argument about this because I know that very few people here will agree with me but...

Dan Gilbert is 100% right. He went about it in a very poor way but most of what he said, content wise, is spot on. LBJ DID give up in the celtic series. That isn't a 'homer' take on it... it was a huge topic of national discussion afterwards. He did destroy a cities fan base. Dan Gilbert simply expressed what EVERY Cleveland fan is feeling, which is betrayal. Premeditated, publicized, and Nationally covered betrayal.

LBJ was coddled by cleveland for 7 years. Nothing happened on that team without his stamp of approval. He is as guilty for the cap situation that cleveland is in as the management. Do you think they would have gotten shaq if LBJ didn't ask for him? The management has bent over backwards to accommodate James.

I dont disagree with you or Gilbert. Like I said previously, I actually agree with most of what Gilbert said. But the truth is, if he felt this way, why try to resign him. Timing is as much a key with words than the words themselves. If you feel someone is a quitter, then it should make no difference what their talent level is.

That was the biggest eff you I have ever seen.

Dan Gilbert came off looking like a crazy person with that rambling letter he sent out.

If I were Gilbert I would have written the same letter. To not even return phone calls of the guy that bent over backward to your every demand for 7 seasons is complete and total disrespect. And then to not even tell him what your plans are is unheard of. What a child LBJ is. I am hoping that he never wins a title now even though I like Wade. And yes MJ NEVER would have gone to someone else's team during his prime. He would have kept pounding away in Chicago until he finally got his championship. "The Decision" show was a complete kick in the sack to Cleveland plain and simple.

That was the biggest eff you I have ever seen.

Dan Gilbert came off looking like a crazy person with that rambling letter he sent out.

I don't know if I would have written that same letter, but I wonder how much of his personality, that came out in this letter, played a part in Lebron's departure.

The guy already was placating to everything LBJ wanted. LBJ's move isn't about anything but $$$ and titles. I think the big question is if this is the 'easy way out' for him to get a ring? There's been a lot of questions about him being a leader, being clutch, etc. My guess is that you'll see Wade take every clutch shot for that team. Really the biggest winner in this whole thing is Bosh. He gets to skate along and throw 20/10 in every night under the radar at near max money.

I don't know if I would have written that same letter, but I wonder how much of his personality, that came out in this letter, played a part in Lebron's departure.

Back