Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
"My weapons of grass destruction"....that is classic!.....I may have to use that line on the course today if you don't mind Ken.

Go for it...I didn't make it up; took it from the "Golfer's Glossary" column in Golf Magazine (June 2010 issue), where it was defined as "A hacker's set of clubs"

I didn't play Saturday as I tweaked my wrist but was ok for Sunday.

Worked on my technique with my pro and was pleased how it went.

Was pretty tidy all round and went 556 445 555 for 44 out with the old hook only coming out to play once.

Back 9 started well but tailed off a bit tbh before a decent enough finish and was 467 745 554 for 47 and a 91 total. Again just one hook, which pleases me more than anything. I did really go for it and took on pretty much every shot without bailing as I wanted a true idea of how my swing really works now. A couple of poor shots cost me quite q few shots but it wasn't about scoring, it was about finding out where I was.

Doing it once is ok but I will be playing Friday and we'll see if it was just a honeymoon or the real deal; it feels good but I'm not going to assume I'm sorted on just the 1 round.

Had time for the first 9 holes today after receiving my handicap. Shot a 47 for 33 stableford points. :D

Guess it's all downhill from here. (pointwise anyhows)

Was a story of two halves today, first 9 shot a miserable 59 and was totally lost with the putter, which has been my strength lately. No excuse but the weather was a little crappy with a light rain falling for most of the from 9 had several 3 putts for a total of 21 for the 9 holes. On the back 9 got my back together and my putter seemed to wake up which took me to a 47 on the back with only 15 putts. Even though my total score of 106 is nothing special it is an improvement of 9 strokes since the last time I played the course 2 months ago. My shot making , especially around the green improved and I was keeping the ball on the fairway most of the day. A couple of dumb mistakes and a sleepy putter resulted in the high score. I know I can do better on this course and I intend to next time I play it!

Thanks for all the well wishes, guys. I'm pretty much back to normal at this point...just waiting for my car to get back from the body shop.

Want to get back on the course but with this heat wave that's rolling through the area, I may wait a few days. We'll see how things go.

until I'm hitting in the 90's again...I'll be here in this thread. lol

Need to get my driver swing back in the groove as it dictates how my game goes. If I'm driving well, I can shorten the course and hit wedges and short irons into the greens on most par 4's or leave myself a nice layup on par 5's. When I'm not, I'm scrambling to get out of trouble with hybrids and longer irons which sucks the life out of my scores. Putting needs to get back to the 33 putts/round range as well so that can help bring my scores down as well.

until I'm hitting in the 90's again...I'll be here in this thread. lol

Need to get my driver swing back in the groove as it dictates how my game goes. If I'm driving well, I can shorten the course and hit wedges and short irons into the greens on most par 4's or leave myself a nice layup on par 5's. When I'm not, I'm scrambling to get out of trouble with hybrids and longer irons which sucks the life out of my scores. Putting needs to get back to the 33 putts/round range as well so that can help bring my scores down as well.

Welcome to the club, slick. We could always use the extra company... even if it's temporary.

Glad to have you thanks! Hopefully you don't stay long.

I actually short-changed myself in the "What Did You Shoot?" thread. I said I shot a 115, but it was actually a 110. I hit the ball good, but I had major issues around the green. I feel defeated anytime I'm near it.

I found out that the e5 is not a good ball for the wind. That sucker goes HIGH when you hit into a 25mph gust. I was hitting hybrids higher than my normal PW lol.

I actually short-changed myself in the "What Did You Shoot?" thread. I said I shot a 115, but it was actually a 110. I hit the ball good, but I had major issues around the green. I feel defeated anytime I'm near it.

I found out that the e5 is not a good ball for the wind. That sucker goes HIGH when you hit into a 25mph gust. I was hitting hybrids higher than my normal PW lol.

I was feeling that way for a long time Hawk. I wont say I am totally past it but I feel alot better. You will get there too it just takes time, focus and patience. You can do it!!! If I can I know anyone can!!!

thanks guys! My driver started coming on at the end which gave me hope. Almost drove the green on the last hole but ended up with a 278yd drive that got stuck in the last fairway bunker before the chipping area of the green. Even though I shot 50/52, I know that I left about 5 putts out there which will be an easy fix for my scores.

Welcome to the club, slick. We could always use the extra company... even if it's temporary.

Finally made it to the range after a 3 week layoff (work and rain).

I was killing it :bounce: best range session I've had to date, irons, driver, you name it was working. I focused on a solid shoulder turn and a smooth controlled downswing.

Unfortunately I won't be able to play until at least next weekend :(

Sub 100 is in view, I don't want to be the only one left in the club.

Finally made it to the range after a 3 week layoff (work and rain).

I was killing it :bounce: best range session I've had to date, irons, driver, you name it was working. I focused on a solid shoulder turn and a smooth controlled downswing.

Unfortunately I won't be able to play until at least next weekend :(

Sub 100 is in view, I don't want to be the only one left in the club.

Great progress you are making :) No worries, I'll be in this group for a while hee hee

I don't want to be the only one left in the club.

The last one left in here has to clean up and turn out the lights...

Haven't played a full course in about a month; only Par 3s to try to get my iron issues straightened out. Going to attempt a round later this morning before work. Will only have time for 9 holes, so hopefully I can finally break 50 today.

[UPDATE] MASSIVE FAILURE! Shot a 53 and had 21 putts...nothing went right and at the end I felt like burning the scorecard and pretending I was never there...

Last edited:
Gonna try to get out for a quick 9 today after work if it's not raining/completely steamy out. We'll see how this one goes.

Ick. I shot a 90 on 14 holes. Only hit two fairways, no GIR, 2 sand shots (both of which I played awfully) 27 putts. Only 3 3-putts, so...not terrible, but my long-club game was atrociously bad yesterday. I played with two other guys and we were joined by a fourth at the end of the front 9, and they all bailed after 9, so I played the last 5 by myself, which was nice. Played at my own pace. Last hole was dark enough I used one of those light-up balls, which hit like a rock, but at least I could find it easy. I think next time I may just get a pack of yellow balls to use instead. Played better on the back 9 than the front with my irons and driver because I realized I was letting my arms get away from each other (not keeping them tightly pressed against my chest) for the start of my swing, and not keeping them together through the swing. Once I fixed that, I was hitting pretty solidly again.

I definitely think I need some range time before my next outing, though.

Friday 94
Today 93

Looks like the hook fix has worked, haven't really had any issues there and have been striing my irons really well. But this is golf.....now my putting has gone west. 3 putted 3 times in each round - twice from nowhere. Frustrating but as I shot 120 a little while ago, unable to hit anything, I'm a happy bunny.

I'm off to irritate the breaking 90 guys instead now, thanks for your company here and I hope you are all moving through the threads swiftly over the season.

Played by myself this afternoon at a par 66 course by my house. It is about 5000 yards from the whites. One par 5, 10 par 4's, and 7 par 3's. The threes are tough. Only one is less than 165 and 3 are 200 or more. I played two balls: a yellow z-star and an e6.

I shot 93 with both balls! The difference was putting and very few flubbed shots. Only a few 3 putts today. I had a couple big numbers on the back, but didn't get frustrated. I'm sooooo happy. Even though it was a shorter course, it wasn't a cake walk. Closest I've come before there was 102. Yay me!

awesome hawk! congrats big guy! :clapp:

nice hawk! sounds like you had a blast!

which ball did you honestly feel like was better for you or you had more confidence in? just curious..

e6 all the way. The z-star was good too, but I played better with the e6. Even though I scored the same. If that makes sense.

Atta boy Hawk!!!!
Played by myself this afternoon at a par 66 course by my house. It is about 5000 yards from the whites. One par 5, 10 par 4's, and 7 par 3's. The threes are tough. Only one is less than 165 and 3 are 200 or more. I played two balls: a yellow z-star and an e6.

I shot 93 with both balls! The difference was putting and very few flubbed shots. Only a few 3 putts today. I had a couple big numbers on the back, but didn't get frustrated. I'm sooooo happy. Even though it was a shorter course, it wasn't a cake walk. Closest I've come before there was 102. Yay me!

Thanks guys! Yeah the 2010 version. I was able to keep it in play more. Shot a 41 with it on the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back