Niblick Unboxing & Thread

I could do that Rhino, but they aren't anything special, just standard CB wedges. I guess I could get the 56* Niblick and buy a fairly cheap SW if I run into too many situations that either the PW or Niblick can't handle.

no they are not anything special. But they are fairly forgiving at with a handicap of 36 that is what you should want the most. As your game improves then worry about all the fancy features of the club,

Ahh, gotcha. This is a good point. I looked around and couldn't find any. Any other ideas of something that could function for just the sand and is cheap + forgiving?

Just sent the payment for a 56* Niblick for $70 shipped from fellow THP'er kungfugeek. Now, to decide what wedge to throw in the bag just in case I get in a bad situation the Niblick or PW can't handle.

Just sent the payment for a 56* Niblick for $70 shipped from fellow THP'er kungfugeek. Now, to decide what wedge to throw in the bag just in case I get in a bad situation the Niblick or PW can't handle.

52 degree wedge with 8 bounce. you can use that thing for just about any shot! i love mine!

I feel pretty confident about the Niblick and PW for everything but certain sand shots. 52*, 56*, or higher for those?

56* is also known as sand wedge for most people. but they have different bounces for different peoples games and sand types.. i use a 56* with 12 bounce some use a 16 bounce.

are you talking about bunker shots around the green? if so most people use the 56* but also some use a 52 or 60 depending on what they're comfortable with hitting, distance needed, and all that stuff but most people use the 56 as it is called the "sand wedge"

I'm not one to care what it's called, but I'm just looking for something that can get the ball out of the sand near the green that the Niblick wouldn't be able to. This is kind of the supplement to the Niblick since I see myself using that club like a crutch knowing what I do with Hybrid type clubs lol.

ya i hve no clue what the niblick can do. hell you might be able to hit out of the sand lol

but try out a couple sand wedges and see if you like them. im sure someone you golf with has one or you might be able to try one from your club house out in the bunker. some people hate them and wont use a sand wedge they wud just rather use a pitching wedge. just kind of all depend on the person. but hitting out of a bunker is no easy task anyways, takes alot of practice, and a sand wedge just doesnt fix the problem of getting it close everytime. takes alot of practice with it. i dread hitting into bunkers. i can get out of them fairly easy i just cant ever stick the ball close. damn bunkers lol

I hear you. Out of the bunker is less bounce generally better or worse?

ok here is a link. read this. it explains it better than what i was going to say...

http://ezinearticles.com/?Golf-Club...f-Club-Bounce-Can-Help-Or-Hurt-You&id=1860207

i like the 12 bounce because it still allows me to use it on a couple other shots around the green that have tight lies. less bounce also means lees likely to skull one across the green. the club is using the bounce the sand into the ball up onto the green. when you open the club face up it creates more bounce. if you have tight lies its not ideal to use the sand wedge because more bounce will cause you to skull the ball. most people think when hitting a bunker shot that they need to help get the ball out of the sand instead of letting the bounce do all the work. there is a 4-8 inch window behinde the ball in which ur suppose to hit to let the bounce push the dirt into "NOT DIG" the ball and pop it up in the air onto the green. everyone always wants to try to lean back and lift it out or try to only hit the ball and you cant do that, you have to let the bounce do the work pushing that sand into the ball..

if your practicing draw you a line even with the ball (line on both sides of the ball)with the ball in the middle. ---0--- then about 6-8 inches back draw you one straight line and aim to hit in between that back line and the ball . this helped me alot on where i was suppose to hit the ball at.

kind what im talking about "drawing a line in the sand"

-----0------
------------

then hit between the back line and ball..

if said that completely wrong, someone please correct me, just how i was always taught about bounce and bunker shots..

The 56 degree Niblick works fine out of greenside bunkers for me. I still carry my 56 deg wedge but very rarely use it since I got the Niblick.

I find the combination below can handle virtually anything you are likely to run across on a golf course: The conventional 60* LW works well for very difficult lies in the sand, (buried lies, steep downhill lies, etc.), while the Niblick 56* is wonderful for most lies in the sand. (It allows you to make a far less risky type swing). The heavy weight of the Niblick combined with the 14* of bounce make any normal lie sand shot a piece of cake. The 42* and 49* Niblicks are extremley versatile around the green and really encourage your creativity. The Niblicks are great clubs for saving strokes and definitely make the game more fun!

Here is how the Niblicks and the 60* work in my bag:

- Cleveland Niblick 42* - (Replaced PW) - Used for full PW distance shots , bump and runs, longer running chips/pitches.

- Cleveland Niblick 49* - (Replaced GW) - Perfect GAP Wedge replacement, it is great for most pitch shots around the green.

- Cleveland Niblick 56* - (Replaced SW) - An "automatic out" from most lies in the sand and nice for very short pitches as well.

- Cleveland Black Pearl CG14 60*/8* bounce Conventional LW - (Replaced worn out Mizuno LW) - Great for flop shots and for very difficult lies in the sand. (The Black Pearl CG14 Wedge is also the perfect cosmetic match to the Niblicks)

I strongly recommend this particular Niblcik/Wedge set up! :good:

Last edited:
I thought, for difficult sand lies and a 60* wedge, you would need more bounce than 8* (maybe 12-16*)?
Did you try the CG14 Wedge with different bounce (esp. out of the sand)?

I can get a pair of used CG14 56* and 60* for $60 total. Thinking about pulling the trigger as I'm trying to stay cheap and I could probably flip the one I don't like as much for $30 anyway.

I thought, for difficult sand lies and a 60* wedge, you would need more bounce than 8* (maybe 12-16*)?
Did you try the CG14 Wedge with different bounce (esp. out of the sand)?

I actually have tried 60* Wedges with 12* bounce and immediately noticed that was just too much bounce for many of the shots I use that club for. The 60*/8* is far more versatile both in and out of the sand. Unlike the Niblick, you can easily add bounce to conventional wedges like the CG14 Wedge by simply opening the clubface. Also, if you use the 60* for a semi-buried or downhill lie in the sand, any bounce above 8* can make the shot far more diffiucult, if not downright impossible. (You need to dig those shots out).

Furthermore, I find 12* of bounce is a bit much for hitting the Lob or "flop" shot from a tight fariway lie which is the shot most people buy a 60* Wedge for. That shot is also the reason that 60* Lob Wedges generally have less bounce than a typical 56* or 58* Sand Wedge.

In my opinion, you should stay within a bounce range of 8-10* if you want MAX VERSATILITY from the 60* LW. For me, the 8* bounce on the 60* LW provides the widest variety of shots to be played.

Keep in mind also that the Niblick SW has a bounce of 14*, so I am covered for very fluffy lies in that sand with my Niblick 56*

:smile-big:

I actually have tried 60* Wedges with 12* bounce and immediately noticed that was just too much bounce for many of the shots I use that club for. The 60*/8* is far more versatile both in and out of the sand. Unlike the Niblick, you can easily add bounce to the CG14 Wedge by simply opening the clubface. If you use the 60* for a semi-buried or downhill lie in the sand, any bounce above 8* will make that shot far more diffiucult if not downright impossible.

Furthermore, I find 12* of bounce is a bit much for hitting a Lob or "flop" shot from a tight fariway lie. Since most people buy a 60* for that type of shot, most 60* Lob Wedges come with less bounce than a typical 56* or 58* Sand Wedge.

In my opinion, a bounce range between 8 and 10* works best if you want MAX VERSATILITY from a 60* LW. For me, the 8* bounce on the 60* LW provides the widest variety of shots to be played.

+1. Love the 8* bounce on my 60. Can't imagine any more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well said bobcat. i actually use a 6 bounce on my 60 but i also dont use it i the sand. i just use it for flop shots or shots around the green. i use a 56/12 for sand ann it works perfectly for me..

try your niblick out of the sand, who knows it might work for you.. everyone is different and has there own way of doing things.. but if you get those cg14s you will be happy, they're real solid!

well said bobcat. i actually use a 6 bounce on my 60 but i also dont use it i the sand. i just use it for flop shots or shots around the green. i use a 56/12 for sand ann it works perfectly for me..

try your niblick out of the sand, who knows it might work for you.. everyone is different and has there own way of doing things.. but if you get those cg14s you will be happy, they're real solid!

Did you see my post #638 above?. The 56* Niblick actually is my go-to Sand Wedge for either a normal or extra "fluffy" lie in the sand. However the 60* conventional wedge is needed and very helpful for a buried, semi-buried, or very steep downhill lie in the sand . Naturally, my 60* LW also comes in handy for those "Mickelson" flop shots from very deep rough, and for the occasional conventional LOB WEDGE SHOT from a very tight and firm Fairway lie where the 14* of bounce on the Niblick could be problematic. The point to my earlier post was that the combination of (3) Niblicks plus (1) conventional 60* wedge enables me to handle most any type of lie I am likely to encounter with great versatility so I rcommend it as the "new" (4) wedge set-up. (Niblicks replace PW, GW, and SW, but not LW for me).

:banana:

Did you see my post #638 above?. The 56* Niblick actually is my go-to Sand Wedge for either a normal or extra "fluffy" lie in the sand. However the 60* conventional wedge is needed and very helpful for a buried, semi-buried, or very steep downhill lie in the sand . Naturally, the 6)* also comes in handy for those "Mickelson" flop shots from very deep rough, and for the occasional conventional LOB WEDGE SHOT from a very tight Fairway lie. The point in the earlier post was that my combination of (3) Niblicks plus (1) conventional 60* wedge enables me to handle most any type of lie and that I rcommend it as a new type of (4) wedge set-up.

:banana:

i saw it earlier then forgot about it.sorry about that.. just was telling pokeefe to use the niblicks before going to buy the cg14s..

edit:i think you thought i was talking to you about the niblicks, when i was talking to pokeefe.. sorry, i shud have said so..

Ahh, gotcha. I will do that, thanks for the advice.

I actually have tried 60* Wedges with 12* bounce and immediately noticed that was just too much bounce for many of the shots I use that club for. The 60*/8* is far more versatile both in and out of the sand. Unlike the Niblick, you can easily add bounce to conventional wedges like the CG14 Wedge by simply opening the clubface. Also, if you use the 60* for a semi-buried or downhill lie in the sand, any bounce above 8* can make the shot far more diffiucult, if not downright impossible. (You need to dig those shots out).

Furthermore, I find 12* of bounce is a bit much for hitting the Lob or "flop" shot from a tight fariway lie which is the shot most people buy a 60* Wedge for. That shot is also the reason that 60* Lob Wedges generally have less bounce than a typical 56* or 58* Sand Wedge.

In my opinion, you should stay within a bounce range of 8-10* if you want MAX VERSATILITY from the 60* LW. For me, the 8* bounce on the 60* LW provides the widest variety of shots to be played.

Keep in mind also that the Niblick SW has a bounce of 14*, so I am covered for very fluffy lies in that sand with my Niblick 56*

Great! Love the CG14. I will try the 60* with 8* bounce.
Thanks!

Niblick 56º Users

Niblick 56º Users

I read the THP review and the thread. I was wondering for you folks who have used if for a while how you still like it?

How does it work off of tight lies? How exactly do you use it out of the bunker? Do you just play it with a square club face in all circumstances?

Thank you!

there is a huge thread on this, have a look in this section of the thread, im sure its not far down the list

I read the THP review and the thread. I was wondering for you folks who have used if for a while how you still like it?

How does it work off of tight lies? How exactly do you use it out of the bunker? Do you just play it with a square club face in all circumstances?

Thank you!

Merged with the Niblick thread. I think you will find a ton of info on this topic in this thread on both questions.

Back