The Mental Side of the Game

ironman70

Long Hitter The Lama...
Reaction score
Handicap
The mental side of my game is something I have been trying to improve. Not only course management, but staying positive through the inevitable tough times that a golf round presents. I know many people that are self-fulfilling prophecies on the golf course. Just today I was playing with a guy who was faced with a shot out of the rough. Just before he addressed the ball he said, “I’ll never get out of this stuff!” Three guesses as to what happened.

I had my moments of brain lock to. After going out in 40, the start of my back nine looked like this...par, birdie, par, par...then plunk, into the water for a double. Guess what happened next? I was so ticked off I made a double on the next hole too. I came in with a 41 when it should have been a 37 at worst. The six inches between my ears got in the way.

What strategies do you use to keep yourself mentally focused during the round? Recently, I read a book called “Zen Golf” which provides several good suggestions. To me, this is the key to the next level, so any good advise is welcomed.

I like the positive approach. I always smile at the ball before I hit it. I lookthe Fuzz in the eyes and mentally say "see you at the hole". Of course, little Fuzz knows this is a lie. Little Fuzz let's me believe the delusion. I hope this answers your question.

I like the positive approach. I always smile at the ball before I hit it. I lookthe Fuzz in the eyes and mentally say "see you at the hole". Of course, little Fuzz knows this is a lie. Little Fuzz let's me believe the delusion. I hope this answers your question.

Kind of like the little league team I coach. I am the first base coach, and as I leave the dugout on my way to first base at the beginning of the inning I say, "See you guys on 1st base". Only a few of them make it there though!

Zen Golf is a very good book on this subject. I find the subject fascinating too. I know my swing is good enough to score, so when I fail, it's usually down to frustration.

I use a few things from the book. I'm working on improving my pre-shot routine, with good mental images of the shot, and relaxing fully before I address the ball. I'm working on not getting annoyed at a bad shot or result, and not thinking too much between shots. Also trying to keep my score out of my head, that's a tough one!
It helps if I try to notice how tense I am at any point in a round. It's surprising how much tension is in your body as you're just standing there, thinking about the next shot!

for me, it's all about simplification. it's just a ball, a stationary ball, it's not moving, it's not coming at us with a considerable amount of pace, it just sits there. for me, it's about building a repeatable, trusting swing, then simply putting the ball at the bottom of it. all that is up to me. there's no reason for me to get upset about the conditions, a tree limb, a bad bounce, a horrible placement of a bunker, that's just me not having one of many things right. i've learned that you cannot will a golf ball, it has no emotions, it just sits there. i've learned to just enjoy my time on the course, no matter what the result may be. of course i want to score and i want to play well, but that all comes with hard work and practice. i'll just leave with this, too much 'mental' can be bad in this sport.

I've read (most of) Bob Rotella's "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect". Great book with some good tips on the mental side of the game. When I follow them, I actually play better. Much better. It can be difficult to stay focused on the positives some days.

One thing that I've noticed when looking back on my round is that, often, my best shots are the ones that are challenging. I think the reason for this is that I'm thinking of where the ball is going to go, visualizing it, and then hitting it. I'm not preoccupying my mind with swing thoughts, negative thoughts, etc.

Yesterday, I nailed a really tough 4h out of the rough with a tree partially blocking my view and ended up right next to the green. I wasn't sitting over the ball hoping I hit it clean. I just looked where I wanted it to go and swung the club.

I have read both of the books mentioned above "Zen Golf" and "Golf is not a game of perfect". I like Rotella's books a little more just because they are more of a unified approach. My favorite is "Putting Out of Your Mind". It is very similar to his other books but since putting is so challenging from a mental perspective I found it to be the most apt.

Also, like hawk308, I find that the shots I hit best are those that required the greatest concentration. Lots of people talk about this being the reason Bubba Watson always hits shots with lots of movement and challenge. Because it keeps him sharp and he struggles with that. I tried to mimic that approach and it became painfully obvious that I ain't got the capacity for all that yet, and stock shots are plenty hard enough for this guy!

I have read both of the books mentioned above "Zen Golf" and "Golf is not a game of perfect". I like Rotella's books a little more just because they are more of a unified approach. My favorite is "Putting Out of Your Mind". It is very similar to his other books but since putting is so challenging from a mental perspective I found it to be the most apt.

Also, like hawk308, I find that the shots I hit best are those that required the greatest concentration. Lots of people talk about this being the reason Bubba Watson always hits shots with lots of movement and challenge. Because it keeps him sharp and he struggles with that. I tried to mimic that approach and it became painfully obvious that I ain't got the capacity for all that yet, and stock shots are plenty hard enough for this guy!

A big part of the mental game for me doesn't even have to do with my shot but actually who I am playing with. If I am with someone who doesn't get frustrated on the course they help keep my emotions level as well. If they are calm on the course and are out there to just have a good time as I am then I find that I actually play better because I am more relaxed. This could just be something that effects me because I am a bit of a people pleaser so I am happy when those around me are happy.

I cant say why but I seem to "break down" when the course is crowded and the fairways are backed up. It might be all the stopping and starting or the "pressure" to finish quickly I am not sure.

I cant say why but I seem to "break down" when the course is crowded and the fairways are backed up. It might be all the stopping and starting or the "pressure" to finish quickly I am not sure.

Oh yes I am familiar with that too. I hate the pressure of feeling like you need to speed up because others are waiting for you. It's silly because you are also waiting on others but for some reason the pressure gets to me, I totally know where you are coming from on this one.

About a month ago Mrs. Biggsy and I were playing together and JB and Biggsy (and I think OEM Kevin) were in the group ahead of us and the men behind us kept hitting into us and figured it was two girls slowing everyone up. But we were just going with pace we couldn't go any faster because we were waiting on the guys in front of us who were waiting on the group in front of them.

In my mind I am saying "look pal i spent just as much to be here as you did so wait till I am done" but it's that other part that seems to take over and I chunk a shot making me feel worse then it just goes from there.

If you're feeling under pressure from the group behind, a solid pre-shot routine can help. It can get your mind on track and if you go through it for every shot, you won't be thinking about the speed you're playing at during the routine. I tend to stand behind the ball, get an image of how the shot is going to go, take a breath, then approach the ball and get loose as I take my stance.

About a month ago Mrs. Biggsy and I were playing together and JB and Biggsy (and I think OEM Kevin) were in the group ahead of us and the men behind us kept hitting into us and figured it was two girls slowing everyone up. But we were just going with pace we couldn't go any faster because we were waiting on the guys in front of us who were waiting on the group in front of them.

You should have just joined up and formed a fivesome! That would have really riled up the group behind you! LOL

I'm with you on slow playing conditions. This is probably the single worst thing that affects my game...it just does. When I start thinking about how the guys in front of me are searching 10 minutes for every lost ball, know nothing about ready golf, and are waiting for every green to clear before they play even though they are 300 yards out on a par 5, it furstrates the heck out of me...and there goes my flow. Even if its their fault, I try to take the Zen attitude and smile...easier said than done!!

If you have read ZEN golf and are still having "mental"problems... read it again. I think the book is great. I also read Rotella's "Golf is not a game of perfect" but like ZEN golf better. Just my opinion.

I find that when I play with "strangers", I can keep my emotions in check very easily. But if I play with i.e., my girl friend and I get rattled, I end up expressing my emotions more simply because I have her ear. If I can air out my frustrations because she will listen, then I do. With strangers, I know they don't give a damn about my golfing problems so consequently I am able to keep them to myself. I'm not saying that I keep it bottled up inside. I am able to completly keep my emotions "down". And I play better because of it.

I learned years ago, that if you really let that bad shot get to you, it will just foul up your next shot(s) and then it becomes a rolling snowball. Golf can be an extremly un-fair game at times, but if you can apply the principles of Zen Golf or Golf is not a game of Prefect, then you will definately enjoy the game more.

If you have read ZEN golf and are still having "mental"problems... read it again. I think the book is great. I also read Rotella's "Golf is not a game of perfect" but like ZEN golf better. Just my opinion.

I find that when I play with "strangers", I can keep my emotions in check very easily. But if I play with i.e., my girl friend and I get rattled, I end up expressing my emotions more simply because I have her ear. If I can air out my frustrations because she will listen, then I do. With strangers, I know they don't give a damn about my golfing problems so consequently I am able to keep them to myself. I'm not saying that I keep it bottled up inside. I am able to completly keep my emotions "down". And I play better because of it.

I learned years ago, that if you really let that bad shot get to you, it will just foul up your next shot(s) and then it becomes a rolling snowball. Golf can be an extremly un-fair game at times, but if you can apply the principles of Zen Golf or Golf is not a game of Prefect, then you will definately enjoy the game more.

I didn’t say that I was having “mental problems”, although my wife might disagree. What I asked for is what others do to channel their energy positively on the golf course. Zen Golf provides many good suggestions, and I did buy in to many of the concepts it presents, but not being a Mahayana Buddhist, all of the concepts of Zen are not with me on a daily basis. Seriously, I’m just looking to see what others do when those inevitable frustrating moments of golf affect your game...and don’t say call the beer cart over.

call the beer cart over.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea!! :D

I think we can read as much as we like, but certain things will stick with some folks, while others just won't get it. It's all about what works for you, but I believe the aims are all the same. We want to relax, be in the moment, and trust our swing. I've taken a couple of drills from Zen Golf, and they work for me, but it's foolish to assume everyone would vibe with the same concepts right away.
I reckon it can get a bit like swing mechanics, you can read too much, have too many ideas, and overload your head easily.

The mental side of my game is something I have been trying to improve. Not only course management, but staying positive through the inevitable tough times that a golf round presents. I know many people that are self-fulfilling prophecies on the golf course. Just today I was playing with a guy who was faced with a shot out of the rough. Just before he addressed the ball he said, “I’ll never get out of this stuff!” Three guesses as to what happened.

I had my moments of brain lock to. After going out in 40, the start of my back nine looked like this...par, birdie, par, par...then plunk, into the water for a double. Guess what happened next? I was so ticked off I made a double on the next hole too. I came in with a 41 when it should have been a 37 at worst. The six inches between my ears got in the way.

What strategies do you use to keep yourself mentally focused during the round? Recently, I read a book called “Zen Golf” which provides several good suggestions. To me, this is the key to the next level, so any good advise is welcomed.

I didn’t say that I was having “mental problems”, although my wife might disagree. What I asked for is what others do to channel their energy positively on the golf course. Zen Golf provides many good suggestions, and I did buy in to many of the concepts it presents, but not being a Mahayana Buddhist, all of the concepts of Zen are not with me on a daily basis. Seriously, I’m just looking to see what others do when those inevitable frustrating moments of golf affect your game...and don’t say call the beer cart over.

I'm sorry maybe I mis-understood? Didin't you say in your post that 'the mental side of your game is what you are trying to improve'? Everything that you described is a mental "problem" within the game and ALL mental golf books address what you are trying to improve upon.

mental side of the game.

mental side of the game.

i was playing today the hardest course around here. i could of birdied 3 of the first 5 holes i was driving well and hitting my irons really well. just about to tee of on the 6th and i had 2 text messages both bad news and then for the next 6 holes i was everywhere. pulled it together for the last 3-4 holes.my question is justhow important is having a clear mind to play?
edit. this was ment to go in the golf section

You kind of answered it yourself. It helps a ton to have a clear mind to stay focused and shoot low scores.

I completely agree that it is very important. If you have other things on your mind, chances are you won't play well. Even if you are thinking about the score you are shooting instead of the shot you are about to play. A couple of years ago, I was playing a really good round of golf. I was even through 14 holes. At that time, I had never shot an even round of golf before. One of the guys I was playing with mentioned to me after the 14th hole that the only reason he stayed to play the back nine with us was to see me shoot an even round of golf. From that point on, all I could think about was shooting even, and I ended up shooting about 5 over. If you can just focus on the shot you are about to hit and nothing else, you will probably play better.

A great book on clearing the mind and the importance of it is "Every Shot Must Have a Purpose", which others have mentioned before. I started it last year and intend to finish it soon. The concepts in it make total sense and are easy to apply.

I know it was baseball but Yogi said it best "90% mental and the other half is physical"

Back