Gray Golf's Progress after Golf Lesson #1 in 2010 1 of 6 Lessons to complete

Clam I went out today and played some good solid golf. I was not thinking so hard about all the things I had been recently taught. I just relaxed, took a deep breath and thought about swinging smooth. From woods to irons everything was solid and pure. I find that when I play loose and not put pressure on my self and let the swing work, it's a totally different game. You can not press your self in this game and expect good results. It's got to be relaxed, loose shoulders, loose muscles and sweet swinging..... I am getting there and I can not wait to play our last lesson this weekend with our pro to put my relaxed technique on show!!!!!!! No pressure just fun :eek:)......

ok gray here is lesson #7 just to be safe; never make a golf bet that includes your golf clubs! :D

I both enjoy reading about your progress and am encouraged to get out there and work on my swing. When I took this game up 2 years ago I planned to take a few lessons and play the occasional round with my wife. The passions that I find here on the forum keeps me going to the range and back to my coach. Thanks for sharing...:act-up:

ok gray here is lesson #7 just to be safe; never make a golf bet that includes your golf clubs! :D

Hack you keep me laughing buddy!!!! lmao However I promise to abide by what you are telling me to do :eek:).......

Clam I went out today and played some good solid golf. I was not thinking so hard about all the things I had been recently taught. I just relaxed, took a deep breath and thought about swinging smooth. From woods to irons everything was solid and pure. I find that when I play loose and not put pressure on my self and let the swing work, it's a totally different game. You can not press your self in this game and expect good results. It's got to be relaxed, loose shoulders, loose muscles and sweet swinging..... I am getting there and I can not wait to play our last lesson this weekend with our pro to put my relaxed technique on show!!!!!!! No pressure just fun :eek:)......

i think this may be the best stuff i've heard you say....don't put that pressure on yourself. a relaxed gray makes for a relaxed golf swing, and some good results. i know the lessons are coming to an end and it's obvious that it was a great decision, but make sure you keep at it, and you keep up the hard work. you'll be embarrassing me at the next georgia outing!!!!!!

I both enjoy reading about your progress and am encouraged to get out there and work on my swing. When I took this game up 2 years ago I planned to take a few lessons and play the occasional round with my wife. The passions that I find here on the forum keeps me going to the range and back to my coach. Thanks for sharing...:act-up:

Chesnutt -- It's a hard game and I have a hard head so sometimes my hard head gets in the way of all the good stuff that makes a golf swing work. Good smooth timing, relaxation techniques, trusting yourself to be able to visualize a shot and then by george, do it! The lessons myself and KellyBo have taken will actually take months to be fully trusted and become a permanent change. We have to trust our coach and fight through the uglies that are bound to happen,,, when you make that 90 degree turn with your golf swing.

Keep at it partner and you will get er done!!!!!! Thanks for your encouragement :eek:)

Old Gray

i think this may be the best stuff i've heard you say....don't put that pressure on yourself. a relaxed gray makes for a relaxed golf swing, and some good results. i know the lessons are coming to an end and it's obvious that it was a great decision, but make sure you keep at it, and you keep up the hard work. you'll be embarrassing me at the next georgia outing!!!!!!

Thanks good buddy! I tell you that when we played in Blairsville you are one of the most fun golfers I have ever shared the turf with! You have that something special about you, that makes people feel good about themselves. I don't want you to get too big headed, however that magnetic personality trait you happen to have,,,, helps golfers like myself and SeeMoreGuy relax and have a great time. I look forward to playing with my buddy again and it won't be soon enough!!!

you know I love ya big guy and I am soooo happy that you got your snakes back! now kick some butt in those lessons and come down here to FL and show those boys what ole gray can do! just dont talk about it show em!

Hack you keep me laughing buddy!!!! lmao However I promise to abide by what you are telling me to do :eek:).......

Thanks good buddy! I tell you that when we played in Blairsville you are one of the most fun golfers I have ever shared the turf with! You have that something special about you, that makes people feel good about themselves. I don't want you to get too big headed, however that magnetic personality trait you happen to have,,,, helps golfers like myself and SeeMoreGuy relax and have a great time. I look forward to playing with my buddy again and it won't be soon enough!!!

thanks gray, that was very kind of you. i guess i just have the attitude that i want everyone to have a great golf day when i tee it up with them. i've played with so many guys who get competitive and try to beat your brains out, but to me, that's just not golf. i never try to beat who i'm playing with, i'm trying to beat old man par.

i notice that the seemore's in your signature. how's the putter treating you?

thanks gray, that was very kind of you. i guess i just have the attitude that i want everyone to have a great golf day when i tee it up with them. i've played with so many guys who get competitive and try to beat your brains out, but to me, that's just not golf. i never try to beat who i'm playing with, i'm trying to beat old man par.

i notice that the seemore's in your signature. how's the putter treating you?

I have putted with it for three days now and I am really getting the speed down. It has a huge grip which works well to quite my big old hands. I think old VooDoo Daddy will have to hide in the closet for a long time now. Kelly loves her new SeeMore too! She got more of the blade model and really rolls the thing consistantly straight... Like all putters though we have to get through that HoneyMoon stage so we shall see how it works for the next few weeks. Have a great week and talk at ya on the phone soon. Nite nite :eek:)

Hey Gray, I just went through and caught up on your progress. Sounds like you are heading in the right directions. Glad you got you some new irons and that you are hitting them well. We all need to get together again.

Hey Gray, I just went through and caught up on your progress. Sounds like you are heading in the right directions. Glad you got you some new irons and that you are hitting them well. We all need to get together again.

Thanks T!!! Maybe we can do the state park thing up close to Setho pretty soon!. I had a great time at our last outing and can't wait to get back out there with you guys. New swing same old Gray :eek:)........... KellyBo has done super well with her lessons and is shooting low 80's pretty often now. I am slow to catch on to my swing change but a very good player I played with today said he could tell my new swing is looking impressive and the good stuff is right around the corner.. We shall see..... Later good buddy

Gray

Ok all, I need some of Gray's buddies to step in and give Ol' Gray some advice here. I am posting this with his permission! His game has been a bit off this week because he is flat out raising out of his shot. The coach told him to find a hill and practice hitting balls from a downhill stance until he can work it out. Well, he gets to the course this morning and meets up with all his friends knowing he has this glitch going on and decides to join in instead of practicing until he has it "fixed" and then becomes so frustrated with himself because he's still doing it.

Every weekend since he has made this MAJOR swing change, Gray goes out and does his usual buddies matches. Some of his "buddies" keep telling him to go back to his old swing because he hit the ball so good before he went to changing it. Of course, in order not to embarrass himself, he does just that at times just to get through a round.

Today I told Gray I thought he needed to make a decision between his old swing and new swing. He must be committed to the change and quit going back to the old swing or else he would never get this worked out. It's really causing his game problems. I know the social part of the game is very important to him but IMHO, he needs to be 100% committed to the change or he will continue to have problems. During the week, he does really well with his changes but something about that weekend game.....the pressures of impressing the guys just really gets in his head. I can honestly relate to this after playing so horrible with a friend the other day but I BELIEVE the changes are good and in time will be much better.

Last edited:
Gray, commit to that new swing. I have read about your progress and I'd hate for you to have wasted all that work. You wouldn't have taken lessons if you didn't think you needed 'em.

Ohhhh. Tough one... I vote Gray sticks with his new swing. It's almost like changing your eating habits. You know what you have to do. Yet, that plate of nachos always seems to call your name. It would be tough to just change cold turkey and stop the old swing, but eventually it will have to be done. You want to transition smoothly but staying in old habits multiplies the time it takes to get better. THat one weekend of cheating puts you back a week. And in 2 months you will be 2 months off where you should have been. Its tough Gray but you have a big time supporter there with you. You can do it man! Drop that old swing! It was good to you for awhile and now its time to move on :)

gray, you can't let the boys get to you like that. imo, they're wanting you to revert back b/c deep down they probably know that they have some work to do themselves, but would never do it. you have to stay committed or it'll never, ever get better. perhaps the weekend rounds with the usuals needs to be put on the back burner for a bit. you do have a wonderful teammate in kellybo, she'll have your back no matter what.

Stick with it Gray! In the long run its going to be better and probably a more reliable swing. Fight through it buddy!

gray, you can't let the boys get to you like that. imo, they're wanting you to revert back b/c deep down they probably know that they have some work to do themselves, but would never do it. you have to stay committed or it'll never, ever get better. perhaps the weekend rounds with the usuals needs to be put on the back burner for a bit. you do have a wonderful teammate in kellybo, she'll have your back no matter what.

I couldnt have said it better myself...
The reason they keep giving you a hard time is that they are jealous that you are TRYING to improve instead of being complacent with your game. If you go through the changes and are better because of it they look foolish.

Stick with it and be a better golfer. Take the time away from that weekly game and then once you are 100% show back up and prove them wrong... they'll take the hint (and hopefully) take the lessons themselves

Gray, commit to that new swing. I have read about your progress and I'd hate for you to have wasted all that work. You wouldn't have taken lessons if you didn't think you needed 'em.

Thanks buddy! I will do it no matter what. I appreciate the cofidence and all of our THP'ers helping each other out like this. It's like a good brotherhood/sisterhood sticking together!

Ohhhh. Tough one... I vote Gray sticks with his new swing. It's almost like changing your eating habits. You know what you have to do. Yet, that plate of nachos always seems to call your name. It would be tough to just change cold turkey and stop the old swing, but eventually it will have to be done. You want to transition smoothly but staying in old habits multiplies the time it takes to get better. THat one weekend of cheating puts you back a week. And in 2 months you will be 2 months off where you should have been. Its tough Gray but you have a big time supporter there with you. You can do it man! Drop that old swing! It was good to you for awhile and now its time to move on :)

Yoco --- You got it buddy! I like what you said and it makes pure good old fasion sense!! Thanks buddy for the faith and encouragement!

I think maybe just hitting the practice area and working on that one weakness away from the Saturday clan might be the perfect answer. More concentration, Less stress, and get er done!!!! Thanks good buddy,,,, I am hanging with the new stuff for the long haul :eek:)........

I couldnt have said it better myself...
The reason they keep giving you a hard time is that they are jealous that you are TRYING to improve instead of being complacent with your game. If you go through the changes and are better because of it they look foolish.

Stick with it and be a better golfer. Take the time away from that weekly game and then once you are 100% show back up and prove them wrong... they'll take the hint (and hopefully) take the lessons themselves

Yea I have been looking pretty foolish lately RXGus but you know what? I am going to hang in there and my motto of a "quitter never wins and a winner never quits" will have to be sincere and help me through this change. Thanks buddy,,, I do appreciate my good friends that support me through this trial!!!!!

Well after I walk my three miles this a.m. I am heading to the course and find me a mountain to hit balls down. At least a steep slope! As most of you know since I have changed my swing to keep my right hand on top of the club the swing plane is a couple or three inches higher than past. It has caused all kinds of weird shots to come off the clubface. Anyway my coach told me to practice on a down hill slope and it will train me to stay down and through the ball longer to get the ball moving with solid contact. Ok, Old Gray's heading to the mountains to hit balls and maybe wrestle a bear or two as if I get frustrated enough the freaking bear might be in trouble!

Lol... Bring some bear mace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glad to see you getting out there and putting the work in gray! i know you're committed, i just think it's important that they "boys" don't bring you down when it comes to your commitment. keep it up.

glad to see you getting out there and putting the work in gray! i know you're committed, i just think it's important that they "boys" don't bring you down when it comes to your commitment. keep it up.

Thanks brother! I may not be playing weekend golf with the betting group for a month and just practice and play with KellyBo. Of course not with her new toy ,,,,,, you know what I'm talking about :eek:)

Lol... Bring some bear mace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I am playing with a couple of ladies that whup my butt like a big old Grizzly bear about 11:30 a.m. today so I will make sure to maze before they putt.

Boys ,,,,,, Them girls are whupping my butt now however I will be ready today! I am just now leaving to hit me some balls down this slope to train me to stay throught my shots. I feel a good arse whupping coming on them gals. hmmmmmmm I will let you know later this evening when the dust settles.

Bring it on Gray!!!!!

Back