Official US Open Thread [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pleased Watson made the cut. He has very little chance of winning, but in my mind, this justifies his exemption. Vijay made the cut on an exemption too. There's some intriguing names in the top ten but I'm pulling for Phil to keep the Slam alive. Only five people have ever won the first two legs (Craig Wood (1941), Ben Hogan (1951, 1953), Arnold Palmer (1960), Jack Nicklaus (1972) and Tiger Woods (2002). So it's not real common. But a decent day tomorrow gives him a shot.

Today should be a great day of major golf. I expect to see some things.

1. Tigger will have a good day today and shoot somewhere around 68
2. Phil will cool off a little bit and shoot 70 or 71
3. Graham McDowell will come back to the pack and finish over par for the day
4. Poulter puts up a big number
5. Jerry Kelly continues to smile and be the ultimate anti-Tiger with the fans.
6. Ryo will look ridiculous and put up a big number.
7. Ty Tryon shoots 75
8. Dustin Johnson drops out of the top 10.
9. 6 and a half hours with Johnny Miller today could flat out kill me.
10. Tigger fans will be dancing in the streets saying"he's back" at the end of today.

These are my 10 predictions for todays round.

Today should be a great day of major golf. I expect to see some things.

1. Tigger will have a good day today and shoot somewhere around 68
2. Phil will cool off a little bit and shoot 70 or 71
3. Graham McDowell will come back to the pack and finish over par for the day
4. Poulter puts up a big number
5. Jerry Kelly continues to smile and be the ultimate anti-Tiger with the fans.
6. Ryo will look ridiculous and put up a big number.
7. Ty Tryon shoots 75
8. Dustin Johnson drops out of the top 10.
9. 6 and a half hours with Johnny Miller today could flat out kill me.
10. Tigger fans will be dancing in the streets saying"he's back" at the end of today.

These are my 10 predictions for todays round.

Hey you forgot the #11 and the best of all! Old Gray would be getting closer to bringing his snakes to WPB :banana:

Last edited:
sitting at +1, +4,+4,+5...all four made then cut, which was nice. Need the tail end to play a little better today.

I don't have him, but I thought Villegas played great golf yesterday(for what I saw). Glad to see him bounce back from a tough day 1. He could have easily packed it in after that round.

Can't wait for todays rounds, little disappointed with some performances but overall its been a great Open so far.

oh man! i only got to catch the first 5 holes of phil's round yesterday, and man, was it awesome to watch. exactly the start that the guy needed. i like JB's 10 predictions today, i couldn't agree more. no doubt that phil doesn't shoot another low round today, he'll position himself nicely for tomorrow. i also think that villegas played one heck of a round and it showed me that the guy's got some serious heart. i'm glad i picked him for the contest, whether or not he betters poulter in the end.

anyway, just checking in!

I agree its going to be an interesting moving day. Although course set up is always an integral part of the U.S. Open, I certainly hope that at the end of the day the golf does not take a back seat to the set up. It was painful to watch some of these guys play up to 14 yesterday. An approach that lands in the center of a green (also known as a safe shot) should not be penalized. Pin seekers should take their lumps for wayward approaches, not guys that are looking for two puts and the next tee. All that was missing from that green yesterday was the windmill. Just my humble opinion.

Off to play 18 and then watch round 3.

Looks like I missed a hell of a comeback round by Phil yesterday...

If the sun gets out and alittle breeze this afternoon, the guys going out early should have alittle bit better scoring conditions. So maybe we could see another guy or two from back in the pack have a great day and get his name up near the top. Hoping that Villegas and/or Sink! lol

Great day of golf yesterday. Tiger had his moments and certainly looks to be striking the ball better(also striking some tree's better too) and if he can sink some birdie putts I think he can get into contention fast. Phil was incredible today. One of the better rounds of golf I've ever watched. That could have easily been a 62-63. He just made it look effortless. The Big Easy just quietly is playing some very good golf. Would not surprise me to see him win it. Today should be a great day for golf. First off no more Berman!! Second I think I can just concentrate on the golf as my picks are miserable. Third the wife is gone for the weekend so I can just lazily sit around and watch the coverage all weekend!

My predictions.

1. All British and Euro players to choke and shoot over 80

2. All USA guys to shine

Oh wait....beaten to it.

Getting used to the tone of these threads now. I was very impressed with Poults yesterday after his 8. Showed good tenacity and I hope he can hang in there for Sunday. So many still have a chance and it should continue to be great viewing, I just hope the coverage broadens a little to include all those within striking distance.

I love these type of events, watching players fighting for par and not running away with 64s and 63s is so much more interesting. It's all about hanging in there as nobody is going to run away with it, avoid disasters and if you have one, bounce back from it; now that's a proper test worthy of any major. Really looking forward to the next 2 rounds, so much is going to happen amid the most incredible backdrop.

My predictions.

2. All USA guys to shine

Oh wait....beaten to it.

Getting used to the tone of these threads now. I was very impressed with Poults yesterday after his 8. Showed good tenacity and I hope he can hang in there for Sunday. So many still have a chance and it should continue to be great viewing, I just hope the coverage broadens a little to include all those within striking distance.

I love these type of events, watching players fighting for par and not running away with 64s and 63s is so much more interesting. It's all about hanging in there as nobody is going to run away with it, avoid disasters and if you have one, bounce back from it; now that's a proper test worthy of any major. Really looking forward to the next 2 rounds, so much is going to happen amid the most incredible backdrop.

Hey I'm rooting for Poulter and Westwood. Poulter has become one of my favorites. If you follow his twitter feed he's actually a pretty cool guy. I think people don't like him because he comes off a little arrogant on the course. I think he's awesome.

My predictions.

2. All USA guys to shine

Oh wait....beaten to it.

There are TONS of fans of non-US players.

Not sure I understand the knock at all. When has Lee Westwood NOT choked in a major. Its a knock by me on a player not a country. I picked TW to be my disappointment this week, as a player not because of where he is from.

Patriotism is a good thing by the way, and the US Fans are allowed to have it too. Or is that not the case? You seem to always root for guys from your country, correct? It sounds to me that you want the coverage to expand to include your favorites. Because I thought the coverage yesterday (since Woods was already finished) was very good at showing TONS of players.

Im sorry if this seems harsh in response, but I take offense to what was posted quite a bit.

Last edited:
Well you are quite relentless JB...every thread of this type you knock the Brits and my opening comment was very tongue in cheek. I don't post here to cause offence. Although it's probably time you gave Lee a break. 2 people on the planet are better than him at the moment.

I root for golf on a global level and if I mention Euro players it's to open some eyes towards them as you guys won't see that much of them over there. I doubt Rhys Davies is well known in the States but I felt he might do ok this week for example. My fav players come from all nations not just my own backyard and I don't slate those who face a kind of pressure that I have never experienced on a golf course.

I want the coverage to include all players who have a chance - not just my personal faves - that was a false assumption.

Peace?

Well you are quite relentless JB...every thread of this type you knock the Brits and my opening comment was very tongue in cheek. I don't post here to cause offence. Although it's probably time you gave Lee a break. 2 people on the planet are better than him at the moment.

I root for golf on a global level and if I mention Euro players it's to open some eyes towards them as you guys won't see that much of them over there. I doubt Rhys Davies is well known in the States but I felt he might do ok this week for example. My fav players come from all nations not just my own backyard and I don't slate those who face a kind of pressure that I have never experienced on a golf course.

I want the coverage to include all players who have a chance - not just my personal faves - that was a false assumption.

Peace?

Wait, why should I give Lee a break in Majors again? Because he is from another country? I dont give Tiger a break right now. Nor do I give Dustin Johnson a break (for entirely different reasons). I have always said I thought Lee was rather pleasant in our dealings with him at Doral and in FL. I root for who I want to root for and call them as I see them. I see Lee Westwood as a person that shows up for 54 holes of Major events and then crumbles. Will he prove me wrong? Of course he will, he is just that talented. It has nothing to do with where he came from or where he calls home.

Perhaps you may want to do a little research on who I root for on this board. My favorite golfer for the last decade has been Ian Poulter (up until Doral). Up until this year anyway. I certainly dont see where someone resides as relevant to who I pick and root for in a major. In fact the only brit I see that I have knocked is Westwood and perhaps some play recently of a few others. No different than any other player or country.

You can "call them as you see them" any time you like. Just as I can as well.

Hmmm. One more thing, according to your logic, I can totally talk about players playing well and that I perceive are great. We are not allowed to mention a guy that chokes. I should not have spoken about Robert Garrigus because he was "under lots of pressure", or Monty for never getting it done over here like he should have. Or perhaps we should never mention when a guy plays poorly.

Maybe that is your idea of how people should enjoy golf, but I prefer to look at the game and the athletes from all sides of it. When they play well and win they should be applauded. When they dont, they can be called out. It is their job to perform. Maybe we should just never make picks or perhaps we should never have a category for disappointment either.

pretty good pairings today. the mcdowell/DJ pairing should be interesting, and the els/ishikawa pairing should be fun as well.

Wow - why the attiitude? That's mega-defensive over a very minor issue isn't it?

I think you must be construing that I mean that you only root for US players...well I am not. I just said I don't just root for one nation or region as you insinuated that I did. It wasn't aimed at you JB.

I don't know how to respond to your second post as I have no idea at all how you came to those conclusions based on what I've said. :confused2:

The Tiger-Vj pairing should be interesting as well. Don't think there will be much talking there and maybe thats what Tiger needs. I hope we see some good movement today and not alot of choking but I'm sure some will back up quite a bit.

Come on fellas, this ain't the Ryder cup!

Wow - why the attiitude? That's mega-defensive over a very minor issue isn't it?

I think you must be construing that I mean that you only root for US players...well I am not. I just said I don't just root for one nation or region as you insinuated that I did. It wasn't aimed at you JB.

I don't know how to respond to your second post as I have no idea at all how you came to those conclusions based on what I've said. :confused2:

These are your quotes!
"All British and Euro players to choke and shoot over 80

2. All USA guys to shine

Oh wait....beaten to it.

Getting used to the tone of these threads now"

ANd here is another

"every thread of this type you knock the Brits "

Im sorry, but when people insinuate something that is flat out not true by any stretch of the imagination, I have a problem with that being a mod at this forum.

The Tiger-Vj pairing should be interesting as well. Don't think there will be much talking there and maybe thats what Tiger needs. I hope we see some good movement today and not alot of choking but I'm sure some will back up quite a bit.

i think tiger might make a small move today.. im going to say he goes 2 or 3 under today.. i hope furyk gets it together to and makes a little move on up...

Bridges you have my bag! I'm about to switch back over to all TM myself, miss my old bag.

Many dont like him, but I really enjoy Frank Nobilo.

I like Nobilo, Hawk is the one I can't stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back