What piece of equipment is most important to your game?

What piece of equipment is most important to your game?

• Total voters

Prinz

Reaction score
Handicap
Aside from your essential clubs and balls, what is the single most important item to your game?

For me, the more I play the more I find that good comfortable golf shoes are most important to my game. It promotes good balance on my swing. Besides, I walk so that's one more reason.

GPS all day. I'm lost without it.

I would have to go with shoes as well. Having comfortable shoes can make a big difference in how I play on a given day, and an uncomfortable pair can turn a round into an ordeal.

A GPS/Rangefinder is a nice convenience, but I've played my entire life without them. Apparel is great, but I've played well (in years past) in jeans/tshirt or basketball shorts/tank tops, etc. Sunglasses are great, but I can play without just fine. A bag is a bag, as long as it holds the clubs and some essentials. Gloves came in second to shoes for me - I can't imagine playing with normal gloves anymore after discovering Bionic gloves.

Gps by far. I don't wear uncomfortable shoes.

I took the poll in a more literal sense, I have to have a bag or my clubs would be falling all over the place, lol. Actually, a quality pair of shoes is possibly the most important on this list for me. The issues I face with my feet depend on my ability to move around comfortably.

VERY tough decision. I went with rangefinder. I like having the nice dri-fit apparel and good shoes, but my game could get by without them, it just wouldn't be as comfortable. As much as I sweat I really need the glove, but I could figure out something if it wasn't there. In order me to score my best, I really need the rangefinder. I am not lost without it, but it sure makes the game, and scoring, much easier. I would bet that with me playing near my best, without the rangefinder I would be 5-6 strokes higher just from having to guess and not able to hit approach shots as close.

If you carry a lot a bag is ESSENTIAL....

If you mostly ride I can see the emphasis on other things

Tough to choose between the shoes and the bag..... but I picked shoes.

Beer Cooler

I went with apparel. If you aren't wearing the right clothing for the weather your going to be miserable. If you aren't wearing anything, your just nekkid, and no one wants to see your lily white *ss.

Edit: This applies to male golfers only. I needed to add this in case Natalie Gulbis was reading.

I picked my sunglasses since I wear prescription, I have to be able to see! at least till I add up the score...haha

These days I need my electronic toys for several shots each round. Both laser and GPS.

I can play in just about any shoes... I've played in smooth soled Rockport walkers, sneakers, lightweight hikers, and sandals so aside from being comfortable, they aren't that critical.

Bag.... well of course you need one, but most any bag will do in a pinch. As long as it will carry a few clubs, balls, tees... I'm good to go.

Apparel... certainly I don't want to play naked, but in summer most any shorts - polo combo will work. I played for many years without "performance" fabrics. In cold weather I can play in just about anything that's warm enough.

But knowing exact distances to to stuff on the course (not just to the hole) has actually helped my scoring. So both of my rangefinders are essential for my comfort on several shots each round. I could live without them, but I prefer not to. :golf2:

I think GPS breeds confidence, which is why I feel lost without it. I like to know exactly how far I am from my target because I then have complete confidence that I've picked the right club. I might hit it sideways, but in my mind, it's going where I want it to.

I picked shoes. Bag would have been my second!

I have not ever come across a golfer who has regretted the purchase of a good pair of shoes, or a good bag. Those items are money well spent!

Off list. My brain, though it doesn't perform consistently. They don't carry them at the golf stores, though, so I make do.

And I've fast become addicted to GPS after starting to use one this Spring.

Kevin

It's gotta be the shoes.

But I gave serious consideration for the bag.

Since I walk a lot, a lightweight bag just a couple pounds less can do wonders to your golf game. I recently switched to the Sun Mountain 3.5 and it probably weighs 1-2 pounds less than my old bag. I used to be a little fatigued come hole 16-18, but that never happens anymore. A lightweight bag can really do wonders if you like to walk and carry.

Even though I walk, and the bag and shoes are very important to me, I've also just recently become addicted to my GPS. I find I'm hitting more balls closer to the pin because I have a better idea of the yardage. Looking for sprinkler heads and then guessing from there sometimes left me a club long or short. Not anymore.

Interesting that nobody has voted for gloves yet...

Let's see, I can use any kind of bag. I haven't worn a glove in 2 years. So for me it's my GPS. Like others have said, I'm addicted to it. I like know how far I just hit the ball and how far I have to go. The biggest thing with the GPS was going from hitting my 5i about 200 to hitting it 150. Funny how that is, lol.

Interesting that nobody has voted for gloves yet...

Indeed. Gloves come a close third on my list. I'm quite picky when choosing gloves. It's a tie for second with both bag and GPS. Tough one.

It's gotta be the shoes.

But I gave serious consideration for the bag.

Since I walk a lot, a lightweight bag just a couple pounds less can do wonders to your golf game. I recently switched to the Sun Mountain 3.5 and it probably weighs 1-2 pounds less than my old bag. I used to be a little fatigued come hole 16-18, but that never happens anymore. A lightweight bag can really do wonders if you like to walk and carry.

I disagree with this. Overall, I don't think the difference between 30 lb bag and a 25 lb bag over 5.5 miles makes any difference at all- esp when you use modern double shoulder straps.

My Bushnell TE 1600 rangefinder is an essential part of my game. Knowing the distance to target is critical for me b/c just guessing the distances does not work. Tired it before and was all over the place but mostly short.

I voted for the glove. I mostly ride, so bag isn't as important, and I play just as good in tennis shoes as golf shoes.

I disagree with this. Overall, I don't think the difference between 30 lb bag and a 25 lb bag over 5.5 miles makes any difference at all- esp when you use modern double shoulder straps.

Unfortunately you are 100% wrong. Like you said, you're walking 5.5 miles. Carrying that extra weight does take a toll on you. As I said, I have noticed a big difference in how I feel by the time I reach the 18th hole. Carrying my lightweight bag provides no stress and therefore allows me to play with as much energy on hole 18 as I did on hole 1.

I know you've probably got a lot of stuff in your bag, but I suggest you ditch your heavy bag and try a much lighter one and I guarantee you'll feel a difference.

you could easily play without all the items on this list except one

THE BAG

end of story, all the other items (yes even shoes) aren't really needed to play (although you might get kicked out for not wearing apparels)

Back