Adam0304

Formerly War_Mongering
Reaction score
Handicap
In flux.
my stance has always been less than stellar while putting. I can never tell if my feet/body is aimed with the target line, and even though the top line of the putter helps a bit, I still leave a lot of putts to far left or right. I was just curious if there are any drills/tips that will help me with my aim while on the greens. Thanks in advance!

my stance has always been less than stellar while putting. I can never tell if my feet/body is aimed with the target line, and even though the top line of the putter helps a bit, I still leave a lot of putts to far left or right. I was just curious if there are any drills/tips that will help me with my aim while on the greens. Thanks in advance!

Practice on the putting green with a club lying on the green. Don't aim the shaft directly at the hole. It has to aim parralel. Work on making sure your feet, knees, and shoulders are all on line with the shaft. The Shaft should lie on the ground between the ball and your feet. Have it so that the heel of your putter is close/touching the shaft. Focus on takeing the putter straight back and through. (If you like to open and close your putter than you can still use the shaft to keep everything on line.)

While on the green, I do the same drill but since I can't put a club on the ground, I use a spot 6 inches in front of the ball.

There are a few things you can do. I like the idea of spot putting. This is picking a spot 6-12" in front of the ball and setting up to that just like you would on a full swing. Some people also like to use an alignment aid on the ball to make sure that they line up to the spot. Try that for a bit and see if that helps. For most players seeing the line from the putter to that spot makes it easier to set the feet parallel to that line.

I 2nd Andy's spot suggestion. I use a line on my ball, line it up to a spot 1ft or less in front of my ball, and setup parallel to that. I feel it definitley helps me a tremendous amount at starting the ball on the line I want.

Guys lets try to remember that this is the Ask the Pro Section from now on and let Andy come in as teh THP Teaching Pro and help out. Thanks.

There are a few things you can do. I like the idea of spot putting. This is picking a spot 6-12" in front of the ball and setting up to that just like you would on a full swing. Some people also like to use an alignment aid on the ball to make sure that they line up to the spot. Try that for a bit and see if that helps. For most players seeing the line from the putter to that spot makes it easier to set the feet parallel to that line.

I have always used the alignment aid, but last night I employed the putt to the spot strategy and it worked a lot better for me. I made a lot more putts, and the putts I missed were significantly closer to the cup when the finished rolling!

That is great to hear. Keep at it and I look forward to more updates from you.

That is great to hear. Keep at it and I look forward to more updates from you.

Well I managed a 13 putt on the back nine at the same course, and the greens on the back nine are far more difficult than the ones I struggled with on the front! Thanks again, for the simple yet effective technique

Back