Birthday Iron Fitting

calebt17

Reaction score
Handicap
Today is my 30th birthday. I've been studying and reading up on all the iron fittings everyone has gone through the past few months. My wonderful wife has supported my game improvement. Last year, she got me lessons. This year new irons. I'm very happy she has encouraged my habit.

I headed over to Golf Galaxy. I carry a 10 handicap. My short list of irons were Mizuno MX 200, MX 300, Callaway X-24, Machspeed, R9, and Titleist AP1. After getting warmed up, I started with the MX 300 and hit some shots. I really liked the feel. They were very smooth and easy to hit. Then, I tried the MX 200. The 300's were way better.

I tried the X-24's, I was not impressed. The club head was heavier. My swings were not on point with them. They went to the no column.

Then I've heard nothing but good things about the Machspeeds and decided to give them a whirl. The grips were not comfortable. Well, I can change the grips if I like them. Yet again, another clunky club, Nike to the no pile. This was getting easier and easier to figure out.

Now full disclosure, I had my heart set on some new R9's. Everyone has raved and being a big TM fan, I thought these were mine. My shots were wow, boom, boom, like butter, smooth as silk. I was smiling big. The player's assistant was like you really want these don't you. I was like yeah they are great. Is there any other ones you wanted to try. Well, yes the AP1's. My rankings were R9's, MX 300's at this point.

I tested the Titleist, boom, striped, and striped. The sales guy says, I think we found your irons. I was like well what does the launch monitor say, R9 straight, fade, fade, Titleist straight, straight, straight. I hit more shots and sure enough it was clear. There was tighter dispersion with the Titleist.

Next Mizuno shaft fit test. I was right on the line for stiff and regular. I tried both and he said the standard would be a better fit ball flight wise. What a cool piece of equipment it recommended three shafts. I tried the project x and the nippons that come stock. I felt like the nippons were a better fit. I had nothing against the project x.

The lie board was next. I hit some balls flush center of the club face every shot. I'm a standard length and lie all the way. They let me keep the tape and the results of the shaft test.

All in all it was a lot of fun. I was there for two hours. I asked a ton of questions tried some wonderful equipment and got my new AP1's. I have yet to get them out on the course due to the rain this afternoon evening.

The moral of the story as JB says, get fit for your clubs. We are all different. I read all the reviews and even had my heart set before I got to the store. My fitting was free. You must demo the clubs before you purchase. The proof is in the results. I am very pleased with the experience and choice.

Now we just need you to take those new irons down to the FL Golf outing in a few months and try out even more stuff. Its only a few hours away from you. Congrats on the new irons, enjoy them.

Happy birthday, Caleb!

100_2190.JPG

Happy Birthday Caleb. Sounds like you had a fun one!

happy happy caleb and congrats!

That is great to hear. I'm definitely going to take a trip to get fit for my next irons. Stories like this just confirm how important it is to get clubs that fit your game.

It is definitely worth your time to get fit. Try everything you want to try. They are there to help.

For sure, thanks guys. I can't wait to get them out on the course.

Happy Birthday and congratulations on the new sticks!

Happy Birthday and enjoy the new clubs! Enjoy :)

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Happy b-day.
Hope your new sticks serve ya well. The ap1s are bad***.

Happy Birthday! sounds like you had a great experience anbd hope you enjoy your new sticks! Hope you gave the wife an extra kiss for supporting your habit...

Definitely, she played it well because the other day she was saying how expensive they were. I was thinking it wasn't going to happen. She had me fooled.

I love how they look, I need to post a witb photo.

Congrats Caleb! Hope you had a great birthday.

That sounds like an awesome birthday! Happy birthday and congrats on the new clubs!

I had a range session with the irons the other night. I was trying to measure distances with them. Distance wise they are very similar to my previous clubs. I may have gained about 5 yds on each club. They were deadly accurate as I was picking targets. It was a lot of fun.

Today, I played the new irons on the course for the first time. It was a lot of fun. I went to a familiar course that is pretty wide open. It made it easier to try things out. I was able to hit the 4, 5, 6, 7, and PW. I hit both greens on the short par 3's. It was so cool to see the ball rise up high, land soft. It's like throwing darts. I had a foot of backspin with my 6 iron which I never had before. My 7 iron went straight. I love the ball flight. It goes where you aim. My swing thought today was all about tempo, nice and easy swing. My previous set had a 3-5 hybrid. I liked the 5 iron and had similar results. The 4 iron may be a work in progress. I have a 3 hybrid that I'm comfortable hitting. PW felt very smooth with great results from 110 and in.

Overall, it was a great experience breaking in the new irons. I'm looking forward to see the handicap drop even more with these.

Congrats on the new irons caleb! I got to try a set of the AP1's out the other afternoon and well, it looks like a set will be taking a trip to my bag soon enough! I loved the feel of them!
Hope you had a great birthday!

Thanks. It was a great birthday indeed. The AP1 accuracy and feel is what sold me.

Happy birthday and congrats on the new clubs!

Back