Just how expensive is golf??

Driver: $150
3 Wood: $230
Hybrid: $180
Irons: $900
Wedges: $360
Putter: $100

So that would be $1920 if I were to pay retail. I got it all for around $1150

2700? what in the world do you have? a solid gold driver with solid gold shaft and a all diamond putter??? lol

Just so you know that includes fitting, shafts, grips, balls, bag, shoes, the whole thing.

Its a hobby so for me it doesn't matter because little can be "justified". Nice thing is that golf is a lot cheaper than my other passtime: shotgun clay target shooting. I won't track that either.

$9,000. Or less.

Kevin

Oh wow, my equipment's nothing fancy but I know my shoes alone were about 160.

Not to mention how many balls I lose...

>_> I think I'll sleep safer at night not knowing how much money I pour out on this game, XD

But just to be a good sport...

Driver was discount/used, for about 100 bucks
My 2 woods were both 100 dollars when I bought them (new at the time)
Iron set was 800 something
Lob wedge was discounted for like 8 bucks :D
I switch between my silly Ram putter (20 bucks) and my rossa something something something that was about 130...so 150 for putters
i buy the Tour iS 45 dollars a dozen balls, (typically I go through a dozen a month) o_o
shoes like i mentioned were 160
Gloves run about 15
my bag was 110 dollars originally but coach made me pay 20 more for the schools logo on it =/
towel about thirty
I quit taking lessons because i'm too stubborn (and they were 60 an hour -.-)

Im missing stuff, but thats a rough total of about: 1638 dollars for a highschool sophomore who has some cheap clubs and doesn't have a job yet o_o'

Now, just counting clubs and bag it's 1388 so not too shabby i guess.

Bag: $90
Driver: $210
3w: $90
Hyrids/irons: $210
Wedges: $40
Niblick: $110
Putter: $75
Balls: $40

So about $865 right now. I'm a standard length and lie statically fit, but sometime in the next few years I'll get a full up club fitting. Call it my "graduation present" into the single digit handicapper's club...

And I agree with others... golf is my hobby and passion. I dont really care what it costs, despite whatever my wife tells me... :D

Lob wedge was discounted for like 8 bucks :D

Im missing stuff, but thats a rough total of about: 1638 dollars for a highschool sophomore who has some cheap clubs and doesn't have a job yet o_o'

i think it might be time for a new wedge? lol
1600 bucks? u need to bargain shop a little better hahaha

i think it might be time for a new wedge? lol
1600 bucks? u need to bargain shop a little better hahaha

I didn't pay for most of it, I'm only 16 >_< The Iron set was a birthday gift.

But the wedge has served me so well, and I really only use it for the times I need to hit a really high flop recovery shot or something. The Burner 09's approach wedge covers just about every other average chip shot for me =)

I didn't pay for most of it, I'm only 16 >_< The Iron set was a birthday gift.

But the wedge has served me so well, and I really only use it for the times I need to hit a really high flop recovery shot or something. The Burner 09's approach wedge covers just about every other average chip shot for me =)

ahh ok, and in 2 years when you graduate you can get some new stuff for graduation. haha i used to have some old pings in highschool(im only 20) and bought a nike driver and a wood. then got some r7 irons for graduation and casually upgraded the rest to now where i just got my r9 irons about a month ago.. paid for all but the r7 irons as they were graduation present..

edit: since your in highschool (idk how well you swing or what you shoot) but think about getting a hybrid, alot easier to hit off anything than a 3 wood.. and you can be alot more accurate with it than a 3 wood.. just my 2 cents..

Actually that's some pretty good advice and I've been taking it into consideration. I average anywhere from mid eighties to low nineties, so I'm not really a great scratch player or anything. I need all the help I can get.

The only reason I keep the three wood is if driver is too much off the tee, but since I only have 13 clubs in my bag I'd assume a hybrid would be a welcome addition.

In fact, if I win the THP & Cobra US Open contest, I will be getting the hybrid to try ^_^

I think my hopes are too high lol

Actually that's some pretty good advice and I've been taking it into consideration. I average anywhere from mid eighties to low nineties, so I'm not really a great scratch player or anything. I need all the help I can get.

The only reason I keep the three wood is if driver is too much off the tee, but since I only have 13 clubs in my bag I'd assume a hybrid would be a welcome addition.

In fact, if I win the THP & Cobra US Open contest, I will be getting the hybrid to try ^_^

I think my hopes are too high lol

if i win it i will hit it a few times then give it to you just because i dont need it.. i was going to get the wood if i won but dont really need it, wud just be the 14th club but il get the hybrid try it a couple times then let you have it.. i noticed ur in the dfw area? where at exactly? im only 30-45 minutes from there! i usually say im from decatur because more people know it but i graduated from paradise about 5 minutes from there..decatur is just bigger so i tell people that..

if i win it i will hit it a few times then give it to you just because i dont need it.. i was going to get the wood if i won but dont really need it, wud just be the 14th club but il get the hybrid try it a couple times then let you have it.. i noticed ur in the dfw area? where at exactly? im only 30-45 minutes from there! i usually say im from decatur because more people know it but i graduated from paradise about 5 minutes from there..decatur is just bigger so i tell people that..

I live in the outskirts of Dallas, a city called Corinth (denton county). I say DFW just because people know where it is easier lol

And really, I would appreciate that so much! People here are tooo nice!

But I always feel bad about accepting gifts, and if you won I think it should be rightfully yours to keep.

if your in denton county then only 35 minutes away..

ya but i wudnt use it, i dont really like 3 woods that much and didnt really use the one i had anyways, only used it when driver was in timeout lol and i just use my hybrid off the tee now if driver is to much and its more accurate, il take a 30 yard loss of the tee to be in the fairway any day.. so id rather give it to someone who actually wud use it..

if your in denton county then only 35 minutes away..

ya but i wudnt use it, i dont really like 3 woods that much and didnt really use the one i had anyways, only used it when driver was in timeout lol and i just use my hybrid off the tee now if driver is to much and its more accurate, il take a 30 yard loss of the tee to be in the fairway any day.. so id rather give it to someone who actually wud use it..

Man I don't know what to say other than thank you XD

But first one of us has to win it :p

Driver: $150 + Shaft = $205
3 Wood: $142
5 Wood: $95
Irons: $600 + Fitting $700
Wedges X2: $300
Putter: $65
Membership: $450
Shoes: $110
Bag: $100

My Price: $2167 Actual Retail: $2806

Lets see, for the equipment in my sig...

Driver- $10
Fairway wood- $0
Irons- $0
Wedges- From my first set, so probably about $20
Putter- $10
Bag- $0
All of the 0 dollar stuff are clubs I saved from being thrown away. I think their grips are at least 15 years old...

Callaway X460 Driver -$55 (bought used in mint condition from Global Golf)
Callaway X 3 wood - $52 (bought used in mint condition from Callaway Outlet)
Adams IDEA iWoods #3 & #4- $40 ($20 each new from RBG's eBay store)
Nickent 4DX CB Irons- $129 (new from RBG's eBay store)
Odyssey White Hot XG #1 - $80 (new from Dick's)
Adidas Ascend stand bag- $40 (new from RBG)
Tour Edge GeoMax Cart Bag- $80 (new at Golf Mania)
FootJoy WeatherSof gloves -$25 (3/$25 at Pro Golf South)
Adidas golf shoes- $55 (new at Adidas Outlet store in Grove City)
Pittsburgh Penguins golf towel- $15 (Golf HQ)
THP Golf Towel- $10 (bought from THP)
2 more cheap golf towels - $10 (Kmart)
Srixon TriSpeed balls - $15/dozen (Golf HQ)
Umbrella - $10 (WalMart)
Ball Retriever - $10 (WalMart)
Sharpies - $2 (WalMart)
Tees - $5 (Dick's)
Club Brush - $3 (WalMart)
Disposable Ponchos - $1 (Dollar Tree)
Bungee Cords - $2 (Family Dollar)
USGA 'Rules of Golf' book - $6 (Dick's)
Portable radio with batteries - $7 (eBay)
Practice putting cup - $8 (Target)
Misc. instructional books, DVDs, etc. about $35 (various online outlets)

*GRAND TOTAL - $725*

so far, I think I'm the 3rd cheapest

I think golf can be expensive as you want it to be or not. It all depends on your lifestyle, what you need and what you use. For the BF and I, its not that expensive. We're set in our clubs, the only things we spend money on are lessons, range balls, and to play.

Until I total up the cost for just my stuff alone...yikes!! Won't even think about that :)

Last edited:
Hmmm lets see
Driver - $269.99
FW - $99
Irons - $200 (used)
3 Cleveland Wedges - $250
Putter - Gift (or $200)
Bag - Gift (or $140)
Push cart - $160

$979 + $340 in gifts = $1319 - wow that is more than I thought it was going to be.

I have a lot more $$ in shoes but I don't count that.

Back