Something other than Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens if Tiger never gets back to competitive golf and he retires? Is golf just over?

There are guys making names for themselves. There are competitive tournaments every weekend as the PGA Tour continues to showcase exceptional talent. That the tour is very much a 'strike gold and win' right now makes every weekend exciting, not a foregone conclusion. If golf wants to move past the Tiger years, they are going to have to start now.

If you put Hahn's story into the ears of a majority of Golf Channel viewership, does it not make this past Sunday's playoff 100x better and more exciting? I think it does. Beats the hell out of 'some dude I don't know winning while Tiger fixes his game' PGA Sunday.

Of course golf isn't just over. But I think a lot of you expect golf to be exactly the same as it once was without him. Unfortunately casual viewers make up a lot of the ratings numbers for these events. There needs to be a player to come a long and give that same sort of spark to the game to generate interest among the casual viewers. Until then, the golf media is going to go with what gives them those ratings numbers. Blame Tiger, blame the media, but you also need to blame all the casual viewers who don't tune in when Tiger isn't playing.

Watch any other league channel. NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, etc. Then watch the Golf Channel. And see the lack of creativity and input.
For all the talk of "The average fan wants it"...THe average fan is not watching the golf channel. The demographic is not even close to the average casual fan.

I am not sure golf wants to be creative and let personalities shine. Golf is a pretty conservative sport by its nature. The people that run golf want to keep to traditions and respect the history of the game. That doesn't give the players much room to be anything but robots with rare exceptions. The golfers that can figure out how to walk the line and let a legitimate magnetic personality shine while appeasing the stuffed shirts running the sport will become stars to the casual fan going forward. When I write that down, the only golfer that comes to mind is Rickie Fowler.

You see it in the announce booth as well. WHo is the most popular? Feherty and Miller. Why? They have actual personality and they get to express it.

Of course golf isn't just over. But I think a lot of you expect golf to be exactly the same as it once was without him. Unfortunately casual viewers make up a lot of the ratings numbers for these events. There needs to be a player to come a long and give that same sort of spark to the game to generate interest among the casual viewers. Until then, the golf media is going to go with what gives them those ratings numbers. Blame Tiger, blame the media, but you also need to blame all the casual viewers who don't tune in when Tiger isn't playing.

What is a "casual viewer" and where are the numbers to back up your 'facts'?

Do you think Tiger will ever dominate again the way he did 5+ years ago?

If he doesn't, how many bad finishes/WDs will it take before this TigerGolfChannel strategy and the 'casual fan who wants the coverage' will last before they need to completely redesign their platform of coverage?

Until this strategy stops getting viewers.

My thoughts on Tiger's game are irrelevant.

I am not sure golf wants to be creative and let personalities shine. Golf is a pretty conservative sport by its nature. The people that run golf want to keep to traditions and respect the history of the game. That doesn't give the players much room to be anything but robots with rare exceptions. The golfers that can figure out how to walk the line and let a legitimate magnetic personality shine while appeasing the stuffed shirts running the sport will become stars to the casual fan going forward. When I write that down, the only golfer that comes to mind is Rickie Fowler.

You see it in the announce booth as well. WHo is the most popular? Feherty and Miller. Why? They have actual personality and they get to express it.

The people that run golf do not run the media...OR SHOULD NOT!
I dont agree with much of the above, but its a moot point in the discussion of media.

They arent there. Not as it pertains to nightly shows such as the Golf Channel version of Sports Center.
Using stats from tournaments in which one is involved does not compute to 4 minute segments on a nightly show. It never has and never will and that is why this channel is doing so poorly outside of tournament TV and breaking news.

Again, I'll go back to Hahn. He was in a playoff and still let his character and personality shine through with a couple different gestures. As a viewer, not unlike the Waste Management "gangnam style" dance (which coverage referenced in a very non-conservative way) I ate it up. I don't find this rare (see: BillyHo's pants, etc) and I think it will continue to improve the coverage if they focus in on the characters of each golfer.

Television ratings for tournaments aren't enough evidence? I don't know where else I mentioned anything "factual" while discussing this.

It's also quite easy to go to any article (even ones on this very site) and look at the size and discussion about Tiger versus the size and discussion about other players. I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong that it happens, but it's pretty obvious Tiger moves the needle more than any other player in any sport out there.

I get it, you are tired of Tiger, I'm not trying to tell you not to be. I'm just saying that until another player comes a long and "dethrones" Tiger's popularity, things probably won't change.

Honestly...is there really anything that would ever grab the casual golf fan? Just curious. What story will grab someone who is "meh" when it comes to watching/listening/reading about golf? If golf wants to grow and breach over into sports fans in general, there needs to be more team events and more events like the Ryder cup that the players themselves get hyped up for. Golf is such a casual laid back sport to so many, that Tiger being so over the top and throwing huge fist pumps was one of the biggest reason people started to watch him. If more tournaments were the Ryder cup atmosphere and based more off a team of players rather than individuals, more people would watch and pay attention IMO. If someone is casual about golf, they won't care what player X, Y, or Z is doing. I'm a huge golf fan and watch everything golf all the time...but I'd have a pretty hard time convincing anyone else around me to watch with me if they didn't already care.

They arent there. Not as it pertains to nightly shows such as the Golf Channel version of Sports Center.
Using stats from tournaments in which one is involved does not compute to 4 minute segments on a nightly show. It never has and never will and that is why this channel is doing so poorly outside of tournament TV and breaking news.

It's funny. I can't see a viewer watching a golf tournament on a Thursday or Friday as 'casual' ..... And since Tiger can't even sniff a weekend, I guess golf is dead since the 'casual fans' don't care about anyone else.

I get it, you are tired of Tiger, I'm not trying to tell you not to be. I'm just saying that until another player comes a long and "dethrones" Tiger's popularity, things probably won't change.

I would argue that players have accomplished enough to "dethrone" TW, but the media is too lazy to chase the story or be creative enough to present it in a light that will get people talking.

The people that run golf do not run the media...OR SHOULD NOT!
I dont agree with much of the above, but its a moot point in the discussion of media.

It is not a moot point at all, the media can feed stories all they want. But if people don't care about them they cannot force the people to suddenly care. So what is it that people who are not diehard golfers want? There is tons of excellent golf being played by people not named Tiger, but that is not moving the meter. Why is that? If it's not the excellence of their game it has to be the golfer him or herself. That comes down to personality, and makes my original point totally legitimate.

Let me flip this on you, and answer this question please: My wife is a casual golf fan who is mainly a Tiger fan. She has been exposed many times to golf without Tiger and she just does not care unless Tiger is in the hunt. How do you get her interested in golf without Tiger? Is she what can be described as a "casual fan"? Or are you okay with losing those fans like her? There is no wrong answer to this in my mind.

Television ratings for tournaments aren't enough evidence? I don't know where else I mentioned anything "factual" while discussing this.

It's also quite easy to go to any article (even ones on this very site) and look at the size and discussion about Tiger versus the size and discussion about other players. I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong that it happens, but it's pretty obvious Tiger moves the needle more than any other player in any sport out there.

People are going to check in to watch Tiger because he's been the face of golf for a decade. That's the doing of media and I'm not contesting that when he's in the field it garners more interest as a whole.... However the fact is, Tiger is awful right now. And unless something changes dramatically, golf media is going to have to change their strategy to accommodate the rest of the tour before people get tired of Tiger WDing or blading wedges and missing cuts.

Tiger isn't a solution to growing the game right now, in my opinion. Not even remotely.

I would argue that players have accomplished enough to "dethrone" TW, but the media is too lazy to chase the story or be creative enough to present it in a light that will get people talking.

Then how do you explain the crowds at tournaments? Is that all driven by the media too?

Anyways, I'm going to bow out of this discussion as it's just going back and forth now and more debate-like about Tiger and the media than what the thread was originally asking.

I'm as big of a TW fanboy as you'll find, but it does get old. There are so many good, interesting players out there with great stories that should be told.

Again, I'll go back to Hahn. He was in a playoff and still let his character and personality shine through with a couple different gestures. As a viewer, not unlike the Waste Management "gangnam style" dance (which coverage referenced in a very non-conservative way) I ate it up. I don't find this rare (see: BillyHo's pants, etc) and I think it will continue to improve the coverage if they focus in on the characters of each golfer.

This I can agree with. But you and I are very different than what anyone would define as the "casual fan". So again it gets back to what do you define as a "casual" fan?

You can't get the "die hard" Tiger fan' if you don't TRY to do something different.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different result.

If they don't TRY, it doesn't matter. And they sure as hell aren't trying.

This I can agree with. But you and I are very different than what anyone would define as the "casual fan". So again it gets back to what do you define as a "casual" fan?

I personally don't define "casual fan" because I have no idea what that term means. I guess the people who know Tiger and don't care about golf are the casual fans? No idea.

Then how do you explain the crowds at tournaments? Is that all driven by the media too?

Anyways, I'm going to bow out of this discussion as it's just going back and forth now and more debate-like about Tiger and the media than what the thread was originally asking.

Its actually pretty much exactly what it was asking.

For the Casual Golf fan or people who don't pay attention to the sport I think the ticket is Rory.

As for more knowledgeable fans (THPers) a perfect example would be James Hahn vs Dustin Johnson playoff. That a phenomenal playoff with both of them playing great golf, also James Hahn's backstory is a great one as well.

So yes there are tons of stories, but I feel like it's up to the media to find the stories and do the work that is going to make people connect and want to pay attention to it. I feel like the Tiger story is what it is and to continue focusing on that is easier, but it's doing a disservice to the game and the fans.

Last edited:
It is not a moot point at all, the media can feed stories all they want. But if people don't care about them they cannot force the people to suddenly care. So what is it that people who are not diehard golfers want? There is tons of excellent golf being played by people not named Tiger, but that is not moving the meter. Why is that? If it's not the excellence of their game it has to be the golfer him or herself. That comes down to personality, and makes my original point totally legitimate.

Let me flip this on you, and answer this question please: My wife is a casual golf fan who is mainly a Tiger fan. She has been exposed many times to golf without Tiger and she just does not care unless Tiger is in the hunt. How do you get her interested in golf without Tiger? Is she what can be described as a "casual fan"? Or are you okay with losing those fans like her? There is no wrong answer to this in my mind.

You are missing the biggest point. The casual golf fan is not watching these shows or this channel outside of tournament coverage...WHICH HE IS NOT A PART OF. Nobody is arguing on whether Tiger stories should go away completely (They shouldnt). Or that his play should not be on TV (It should). But he is not playing, when he does its not well, and you have tremendous opportunity to be creative to discuss new stories, players and create stars than ever before because the die hards are watching anyway and the casual fan is not tuning in.

GC talks about growing the game, making it more interesting and a bunch of other stuff to get more people involved but they don't invite the audience into what the PGA and LPGA have going on right now.

I don't mind if they talk about Tiger but to have segment after segment or even a 2 hour show on the weekend about his struggles, how great is/was, etc is ridiculous.

The PGA has emerging stars that are capable of carrying the game and bringing in the next generation. Rickie Fowler with 1 win and a Top 5 in the each of the last 4 majors has a hoard of followers at each tournament and tons of kids who dress like him when they go. Talk more about him and his success and work. His background in dirt bikes and golfing

There are numerous other stars or stars in the making under 30. Rory McIlroy could win the career grand slam this year but that gets mentioned in a small segment and move on. Talk about the success he is having they sure spent enough time with his struggles 2 years ago after switching companies and the bid deal nike made out of it with the presentation in Dubai.

Patrick Reed, Harris English, Justin Thomas and many others. Help people to see them and what they offer.

Then take the LPGA with Lydia Ko and her 6 wins, world no1 all before she turns 18, Lexi Thompson, Stacey Lewis, Paula Creamer, Sandra Gal, numerous of the women from Asia who are all having success and helping to grow the LPGA from what looked like dire straits. Showcase their talent and help grow the game amongst the younger girls.

IMO there is so much they can talk about and cover but its just easy and lazy to pic the low hanging fruit aka Tiger to fill their segments. I want more tournament coverage and less talk show.

I'm sorry but Rory is not every bit as dominate as TW was. Rory is great, I love watching him play golf, but come on man.

This statement is Laughable in itself. Tiger was great, but in no way was he playing the caliber of players Rory is right now, not to mention how much harder most courses are these days. What we watched Rory do last year and what he could have done on top of that if he was playing a bigger schedule in the states. Everyone back in the day feared Tiger, these new guys are fearless, even if he was still at the top these guys would be running him down and competing if not winning a lot of tournaments. Golf is not the same game as it was 15 years ago, most of us can appreciate that, we are watching a few guys right now other than Tiger that have talents that are unbelieveable, but the competition is so tough that no one is going to win at the rate Tiger used to. When Tiger is playing I have no problem with them covering him because it is what most "avg" recreational golfer can relate to, but when hes not in contention or even playing for that matter there are way more exciting things to be covering

The thread was asking what the media should cover instead of TW, so it was the basis for discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back