What does this say about Nike?

Its not bad yet. But will all small golf shops and golf galaxies going out of business were mere years from now available golf shops? Then what? Where do u get fit? On the internet? Or only at demo days?

There are a lot of places to get fit outside of retailers.

To get back to Crossfield, if Mark believes that the only difference between the Covert, Covert 2.0, and Vapor Flex line is marketing, then he isn't doing his due diligence to learn. If he isn't going to put in the time to learn, I am not going to put in the time to watch him talk about it.

This THPer sounds smart. I should follow him on twitter.......or something....

Not only is it not entirely true, its a personal business choice. Nobody forces any store to buy and stock goods. There are a select few reporting that that is the demise of the small golf shop. Yet, nobody wants to look at the real demise. Where is the outcry that a label makes 29 types of jeans, so the B&M retail shops are closing? Oh wait, because its bullsh!t. That's why. Stores are closing due to bad decisions, the invention called the internet and large big box retailers that are not specialty stores.

Inventory management played a role and certainly has been an issue for one company in particular (TaylorMade), but that has little to do with releases, despite what some want to keep addressing, bringing up and throwing it as fact. Its not fact.

Still waiting for someone to explain why Ping is not flooding the market with 3 drivers in about 90 days and other companies that release 5 in about 6 months are?

And that still goes back to the same thing...How is choice bad for consumers? Lets even say that the releases are bad for the golf store (which they are not, when done correctly). How does that negatively impact the consumer? It gives more options and reduces prices. Oh how awful
I address it right now. Ping released 3 versions of the G30. But they keep their clubs for 2years be4 the next release. TM and Callaway release 3... the another a month or 2 later and so on and so forth. A very good friend of mine owns the last surviving real golf shop in south jersey. He has to carry TM and Callaway because they are the marketers and what equipment novice golfers come in and ask for. They have to have enough initial stock of lets say the SlDR... but then the Jetspeed comes out, followed by another driver. Now they have a 3month old SLDR which is a perfectly capable club but in the consumers mind is 3 clubs ago tech. They end up breaking even or losing the money on the club. To say that has not contributed to the downfall of golf shops flabbergasts me. I have heard from a Dicks exects mouth that TM was the sole reason for the collapse of their golf department. They cant afford to carry the amount of product that TM delegates to them then have the product be out of date in 2months.

I understand it benefits us for now that I can buy last years hottest driver for pennies on the dollar but in the long run were screwed when we have to place to go to touch or swing these clubs.

I address it right now. Ping released 3 versions of the G30. But they keep their clubs for 2years be4 the next release. TM and Callaway release 3... the another a month or 2 later and so on and so forth. A very good friend of mine owns the last surviving real golf shop in south jersey. He has to carry TM and Callaway because they are the marketers and what equipment novice golfers come in and ask for. They have to have enough initial stock of lets say the SlDR... but then the Jetspeed comes out, followed by another driver. Now they have a 3month old SLDR which is a perfectly capable club but in the consumers mind is 3 clubs ago tech. They end up breaking even or losing the money on the club. To say that has not contributed to the downfall of golf shops flabbergasts me. I have heard from a Dicks exects mouth that TM was the sole reason for the collapse of their golf department. They cant afford to carry the amount of product that TM delegates to them then have the product be out of date in 2months.

I understand it benefits us for now that I can buy last years hottest driver for pennies on the dollar but in the long run were screwed when we have to place to go to touch or swing these clubs.

FWIW, this is just not entirely accurate. Inventory control is up to the store and the company. They dont have to buy anything they dont want to.
And that still goes back to how is this bad for the consumer? The idea that there wont be a place to test clubs is frankly kind of laughable.

As I said, Ping comes out with 3 versions of the G30 for 3 different players and its great. Callaway came out with 3 different versions of the Big Bertha for 3 different players and its too many.

Sure the G series stays in line for 2 years. But in between, they have released Anser, I series, K series, etc. Lets not pretend that they are not releasing more than a single driver every couple of years and then move on.

SLDR was released mid Summer 2013. R15 released late 2014/early 2015.

Do you really believe that there is little difference between the original Big Bertha and the current line? Do you not think that there are big differences between the 2014 Big Bertha and the 2015 Bertha 815? Do you not believe that there is a substantial difference between the Bertha V and the Bertha 815 DBD?

Why do people focus of resale so much? I never buy a club considering what I can sell it for.
Well that last line is bad considering everyone on ur side of the argument is making car references. U wanna talk cars. We most certainly buy cars with resale value in mind. I guess we only use comparisons when it benefits our argument and neglect the other side.

If I gained every yard stated in the marking machine since the original BB thru the last release, I would be driving the ball 788 yards.........
Thank u. My point. From when this all started. Every TM iron and Callaway iron for the past 3 years is 10yrds longer.... so im at a 200yrd 9 iron

Well that last line is bad considering everyone on your side of the argument is making car references. You wanna talk cars. We most certainly buy cars with resale value in mind. I guess we only use comparisons when it benefits our argument and neglect the other side.

Did I make a car reference? I don't think I did. I wasn't talking about cars. I was talking golf clubs, drivers specifically. I can see how me asking about drivers made you think about cars, since the people who use cars have been called drivers.

But I can assure you, I was talking about golf clubs.

Well that last line is bad considering everyone on ur side of the argument is making car references. U wanna talk cars. We most certainly buy cars with resale value in mind. I guess we only use comparisons when it benefits our argument and neglect the other side.

If you buy a golf club for resale value I feel sorry for you.

I don't think it's fair to take last year's TaylorMade structure, which has been a major downfall to them, as a 'standard' for companies and their release cycle.

.....and if the retailer can't define the difference between SLDR and Jetspeed, or more recently R15 and Aeroburner, maybe they need to work harder on defining their target audience for each release. Salesmanship, if you will.

#loftup has me hitting bubbalong! I am a true internet golfer with an average of 330 carry off the tee. If it was only that easy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G30, G30 SF TEC, G30 LS TEC, I25 and the G25 is still on their site. Is there an ANSER out too?
G25 I25 and Answer came out 2 years ago. Putting them only 18 drivers behind TM and Callaway for the past 2 years... how is this an argument

I have heard from a Dicks exects mouth that TM was the sole reason for the collapse of their golf department. They cant afford to carry the amount of product that TM delegates to them then have the product be out of date in 2months.

What's funny, I heard right from Taylormade's product line manager of irons, wedges, and putters than Dick's demands certain buy quantity discounts. Dick's bought those ridiculously high quantities in order to obtain the discount they wanted. So again, whose fault is it that Dick's stocked too many Jetspeed drivers?

G25 I25 and Answer came out 2 years ago. Putting them only 18 drivers behind TM and Callaway for the past 2 years... how is this an argument

So BB Alpha 815
BB Alpha 815 DBD
XR
XR Pro

All targeted at different golfers, I guess I just don't see anything wrong with it

I think the stores have a responsibility to try and educate the consumer as well but they just tend to hire the cheapest help they can find and try to sell anything they can get out the door.

FWIW, this is just not entirely accurate. Inventory control is up to the store and the company. They dont have to buy anything they dont want to.
And that still goes back to how is this bad for the consumer? The idea that there wont be a place to test clubs is frankly kind of laughable.

As I said, Ping comes out with 3 versions of the G30 for 3 different players and its great. Callaway came out with 3 different versions of the Big Bertha for 3 different players and its too many.

Sure the G series stays in line for 2 years. But in between, they have released Anser, I series, K series, etc. Lets not pretend that they are not releasing more than a single driver every couple of years and then move on.
If callaway only came out with the Big Bertha 3 it wpuld be fine... now we have the X line and all the off shoots of that. Where does it end

I think the stores have a responsibility to try and educate the consumer as well but they just tend to hire the cheapest help they can find and try to sell anything they can get out the door.

Bingo.

You're right, inventory control is up to the store.

So SLDR is announced. Hot new driver from a top company. Store buy's X amount of them. Then, shortly after that, TaylorMade says, oh, how about a 430 instead of 460. Store owner hems and haws, but doesn't get any because he still has 460s in inventory. A couple people ask him for the 430, but he has to turn them away. Then TaylorMade says, but WAIT, we have a white SLDR!!! Again, store still has some regular SLDR's kicking around, passes on the white version. Again, he turns someone away because he doesn't carry the latest and newest.

How is this good for anyone not running a big box golf store?

SLDR was released mid Summer 2013. R15 released late 2014/early 2015.
What about aeroburners or whatever its calles, RBZ, all the ines in the middle? JETSPEED?

If callaway only came out with the Big Bertha 3 it wpuld be fine... now we have the X line and all the off shoots of that. Where does it end

You better hope Ping does not come out with any more clubs in the next 12 months huh? Otherwise your argument is completely invalid.

Still waiting for how this is bad for the consumer. And why 3 choices in 3 months are okay, but 5 choices in 6 months is considered bad.

Did I make a car reference? I don't think I did. I wasn't talking about cars. I was talking golf clubs, drivers specifically. I can see how me asking about drivers made you think about cars, since the people who use cars have been called drivers.

But I can assure you, I was talking about golf clubs.
I was using ur line about resale to address the numerous ppl who wont stop talking about cars

The amount of misinformation in threads like this is always so interesting to me. Based on who reports this kind of stuff, its to be expected, based on past history, but its just so inaccurate.

Back