2014 Super Bowl to be Played Outdoors.................. In New York

Playing in the elements adds another dimension to the game, it becomes about who can best adapt to the conditions. And it's not like it's any more unfair than it normally is, no matter how bad the weather is, it's still the same for both teams.

Well said, I'll be watching from the comfort of my living room so who cares where it is played!

Can you imagine if they delayed the final round of the British Open until it warmed up and the wind died down?

Id even go one further and get rid of this awarding Super Bowls to cities with the most money or best presentation. How about it goes to the team in the Super Bowl with the best record?????? Hey imagine that! Even more incentive to keep playing those starters late in the season.

It takes months to prepare for the game. You have to have it played in a city that has enough hotels to handle the event......not to mention arranging proper security takes a lot of planning.

Then I guess the million dollar question is why NY? Stadium? Then why did it not go to Pittsburg or Seattle? History? Then why again not Pittsburg or New England or Cleveland or Chicago? This wreaks of bias. I really dont care where it is, but I hate seeing precedent put into place because of bias.

If your going to experiment with the Super Bowl in a cold weather outdoor venue then NY is the best choice. It is globally known as the one of the best cities in the world and can provide an experience like no other city in the U.S..No other city has more to offer than NY,it's as simple as that. If your going to try something new then pick the best place to try it in. If it doesn't work well in NY then it won't work in any other cold weather venue. If it turns out to be a good thing then all the other potential cities can make the case for their shot to host.
Personally I'd rather see the game played in as near perfect conditions as possible so there is a level playing field and that means outdoors with no dome. Too many teams that play in a dome at home build their teams to use that to their advantage,which is fine,but they shouldn't get that same edge in the Super Bowl. It's a lot easier to throw and kick indoors when there's no wind/weather to deal with. Football is meant to be played outdoors in all types of weather, that's part of why it's such a great game.

I think the new stadium might have had a little to do with their decision, but I agree, if this is the route they are going to take they need to be able to give other cities with just as much tradition a chance. How about Lambeau???

Too many teams that play in a dome at home build their teams to use that to their advantage,which is fine,but they shouldn't get that same edge in the Super Bowl. It's a lot easier to throw and kick indoors when there's no wind/weather to deal with. Football is meant to be played outdoors in all types of weather, that's part of why it's such a great game.

Could that not be said for cold weather teams as well? Speed in ideal conditions and size in cold weather?

Could that not be said for cold weather teams as well? Speed in ideal conditions and size in cold weather?

Not so much really. It always comes down to speed for any team. Size generally relates to the off/def system the team runs....albeit a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense,totally different personnel needed for each. There's a reason that dome teams generally don't travel/play well in poor weather games, they don't deal with the elements on a weekly basis. If you look at the record of a dome team when playing indoors vs. outdoors I think you'll see a marked difference.

Not so much really. It always comes down to speed for any team. Size generally relates to the off/def system the team runs....albeit a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense,totally different personnel needed for each. There's a reason that dome teams generally don't travel/play well in poor weather games, they don't deal with the elements on a weekly basis. If you look at the record of a dome team when playing indoors vs. outdoors I think you'll see a marked difference.

Not sure I agree. Take a look at the Bucs for instance. For years, an undersized team built for speed. They also went close to a decade without winning in temperatures below 40 degrees.

You're absolutely right. Some teams will have an advantage. The Bears, while I dont see them in the Superbowl soon, play for the cold weather. So either way, some team will most always be at a disadvantage. You're right with your thought on the bias shown towards NY. But after thinking about it some more, if it opens the gates for other cities (Pittsburgh, Chicago, etc) and their economy can support it.. then it might be a good move after all.
Not sure I agree. Take a look at the Bucs for instance. For years, an undersized team built for speed. They also went close to a decade without winning in temperatures below 40 degrees.

If this venture makes money, we will see it spread to other cold areas as well. Some of the more valuable teams reside in that type of climate (Forbes has a list).

The Patriots.Stellers.Eagles.Broncos. and Redskins come to mind. Also im rooting for Snowmaggedon 2 to rain down its wrath

agreed but I think the new field is heated....

The Patriots.Stellers.Eagles.Broncos. and Redskins come to mind. Also im rooting for Snowmaggedon 2 to rain down its wrath

I think it's a terrible idea. As has been said before, 2 teams work their butts off to get to the Superbowl and the weather can be the determining factor instead of skill levels.

Also, the field conditions may play a major part in determining the final outcome. A great example of that would be the LSU/Penn St. bowl game last year that was played on a field that had chunks of turf coming up that were bigger than my current handicap....

as in golf... bad bounces happen on perfect days...
great players/teams overcome conditions... it adds to the drama...
i could care less if they played in a corn field as long as i can watch it on tv

I also didn't like the setting at first, but now I'm starting to like it.

It'll bring back the old philosophy of having to run the ball and stop the run. I'd love to see Peyton Manning try to throw for a bazillion yards in snow. Oh wait, he sucks in snow.

Run the ball and stop the run, baby.

2014 Super Bowl to be Played Outdoors.................. In New York

Aaaarrrgh.....shivver me timbers, me got owned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TC
The weather. The New York part isn't what bothers me.............. much. (money, money, money)

The championship game in football should be in at least decent conditions. I hate it that two teams who worked their tails off to get to the SB, might possibly have to win one fighting the elements just as much as their opponent.

It shouldn't be that way, IMO. Too many times I believe we don't find the true better team in those scenerios.

Keep the game in domes and Florida.

OK, I hear you and you make a valid point, but there is another angle to this too. If the SuperBowl is played anywhere instead of in climate controlled domes, it might actually take on the image of it being a football game rather than a giant party at which a football game is played. From a true fan's perspective, I think that would be a good thing.

-JP

For years the Packers with Favre under center dodn't lose a game in temps 32* and below. Then Favre suddenly decided that he didn't like the cold.

If wather doesn't matter, they should play one in Lambeau. Great stadium to watch a game, and there are seven or eight hotels, a slew of motels, and lots of little taverns scattered all over town for the rich and famous to play.

Kevin

For years the Packers with Favre under center dodn't lose a game in temps 32* and below. Then Favre suddenly decided that he didn't like the cold.

If wather doesn't matter, they should play one in Lambeau. Great stadium to watch a game, and there are seven or eight hotels, a slew of motels, and lots of little taverns scattered all over town for the rich and famous to play.

Kevin

I personally would love to watch a game a Lambeau. As a fan of the game it would be epic. just like seeing a baseball game at Wrigley

I personally would love to watch a game a Lambeau. As a fan of the game it would be epic. just like seeing a baseball game at Wrigley

It's even better if you're IN Wrigley. (unless that's what you're referring to)

The stadium is even better in person.

yes that was what I was referring to. Watch football at Lambeau, watch baseball at wrigley.

OK, I hear you and you make a valid point, but there is another angle to this too. If the SuperBowl is played anywhere instead of in climate controlled domes, it might actually take on the image of it being a football game rather than a giant party at which a football game is played. From a true fan's perspective, I think that would be a good thing.

-JP

Point taken but I never said keep the SB exclusively in domes. Florida, California, etc., are great places with some nice weather in February. Can you imagine a game in the middle of February at Lambo Field? I know I'm in Minnesota, but we share basically the same kind of weather as Wisconsin. I recall just last February when the high for a full week didn't get above 12*. Some would be okay playing (or attending) a SB in that kind of weather? You're freakin nuts.

Also, to those who are saying games in "bad" weather are fun & interesting. I won't even disagree with that. BUT, that's for the regular season & playoffs, NOT the SB. IMO

I wouldn't mind insane cold weather... but if it's snowing like the Colts vs Bills game at the end of last year... that'd be NUTS.

I wouldn't mind insane cold weather... but if it's snowing like the Colts vs Bills game at the end of last year... that'd be NUTS.

haha. You're in Florida but you say you wouldn't mind extreme cold weather. Try living through a winter up here. Take that 10* and add a thirty mph wind to that to make the wind chill -40*.

I think then you'll mind the cold.

Throw snow on top of all that and my point is even furthered.

Point taken but I never said keep the SB exclusively in domes. Florida, California, etc., are great places with some nice weather in February. Can you imagine a game in the middle of February at Lambo Field? I know I'm in Minnesota, but we share basically the same kind of weather as Wisconsin. I recall just last February when the high for a full week didn't get above 12*. Some would be okay playing (or attending) a SB in that kind of weather? You're freakin nuts.

Also, to those who are saying games in "bad" weather are fun & interesting. I won't even disagree with that. BUT, that's for the regular season & playoffs, NOT the SB. IMO

Well I for one like the idea of playing the SuperBowl in winter conditions.

I recall that some of the best Conference Championship games were played in some of the most dismal weather conditions one could imagine and that made them even more "real". After all football is the only major sport in this country that's played in any type of weather so why should all of that change just because it's the SuperBowl?

Personally, I've always wished that the SuperBowl could be hosted by the team with the best overall record, but that would present a logistical nightmare and I can understand why that could never be done. But as far as anything else is concerned, what's so special about the SuperBowl that it must be contested in ideal conditions with an ideal field especially when all of the other playoff games are played in whatever conditions Nature decides to create?

Lastly, the SuperBowl has become overshadowed by hype, partying and creature comforts to the point that it has has become more a tourist destination than a championship game and I think that takes away from the whole reason why it exists in the first place - to determine a League Champion. Northeastern New Jersey in February may not be a "destination" (unless you're delivering crude oil or chemicals), but who cares? I want to see a football game not an MTV party.

Oh and by the way, siting a SuperBowl in crummy weather has actually happened already, albeit not intentionally, back in 1975 with SuperBowl IX. That game (between Pittsburgh and Minnesota) was supposed to be played at the brand new New Orleans Superdome. But the 'dome wasn't ready in time so the game was moved to Tulane stadium, which was an outdoor facility. The temperature that day was in the 40's and the field was soaked from overnight rain and it may not have looked good on TV and the fans may have had to bundle up, but the game was played and the SuperBowl survived.

-JP

Lastly, the SuperBowl has become overshadowed by hype, partying and creature comforts to the point that it has has become more a tourist destination than a championship game and I think that takes away from the whole reason why it exists in the first place - to determine a League Champion. Northeastern New Jersey in February may not be a "destination" (unless you're delivering crude oil or chemicals), but who cares? I want to see a football game not an MTV party.
-JP

Im shocked that you prefer something the way it used to be. The shield of the NFL is about making money. The game itself has not changed. If it has, please explain. They still play a game full of four 15 minute quarters. It is the two weeks that go with it that also are better off with the warm weather or controlled climate. I hope its 20 below with a blizzard, then we can get back to our regularly scheduled program.

My point with the problem outside of the weather is that this is clearly a case of bias from a commissioner.

yep sure seemed like some kinda shady back door deal that was a lock for NY no matter what the other cities did...

My point with the problem outside of the weather is that this is clearly a case of bias from a commissioner.

Back