Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can say that if you're going to get hurt then it can really happen anytime like chasing a bunt or something but if I'm the guy big bucks to pitch I sure as hell don't want him doing anything other than that and limiting the chances he can get hurt. It does go against the pureness of the game but times have changed and teams pony up a ton of money to keep these guys healthy.
I dont know about that. Any position player can come up lame running to first. I think it could hurt your team more to have an everyday player come up lame over a pitcher who pitches every 5.
The DH was brought in to give the AL a boost and it worked. I think its time to get rid of it and back to real baseball. I want my double switches and sacrafices.

I dont know about that. Any position player can come up lame running to first. I think it could hurt your team more to have an everyday player come up lame over a pitcher who pitches every 5.
The DH was brought in to give the AL a boost and it worked. I think its time to get rid of it and back to real baseball. I want my double switches and sacrafices.

That's true but some of these teams that rely on that one pitcher (not everyone has the depth that big market teams have) could put them in a bind especially since their season is shortened because they have to know where they stand by the trade deadline. If there's one thing that I do like about having the NL system is exactly that Gas. I like the strategery that goes on with the switches and subs. It puts more pressure on the coaches to make the right move.

dang didnt make it to the "Interesting Article On MLB Legends Salaries" thread in time to make a post. but after reading JB's posts there is really nothing else to say.

dang didnt make it to the "Interesting Article On MLB Legends Salaries" thread in time to make a post. but after reading JB's posts there is really nothing else to say.

It was a good article, I would of loved to of been able to see Willy Mays roam center field. I dont really get the other point. They spend all of that money but they dont win it all every year.

This should get interesting. I would love to see him in Dodger blue.

Oswalt wants out, asks Astros for trade

Updated May 21, 2010 8:07 PM ET
HOUSTON (AP)

Astros general manager Ed Wade says ace Roy Oswalt has asked to be traded.

Wade says Oswalt's agent, Bob Garber, contacted Houston owner Drayton McLane earlier this week to make the request.

Wade says he wants to win with Oswalt on the Astros. Houston went into Friday night's game against Tampa Bay with the worst record in the National League at 14-27.

Oswalt has made nine straight quality starts to open the season but is 2-6 despite a 2.66 ERA. He has gotten the lowest run support in the league.

The 32-year-old Oswalt has a no-trade clause in his contract. He recently said he would be willing to waive it.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Roy-Oswalt-asks-Houston-Astros-to-trade-him-052110

Reason #1 that pitchers shouldn't hit... did you guys see the highlight of the Rockies game yesterday? Ubaldo Jimenez is lighting them up this year with an ERA less than 1 and he goes to hit, runs down the first base path and looks like he tweaks something. Luckily he just pulled up a little lame and turns out to be nothing but could you imagine if he tore a hammy running out a ground ball? I'd be pissed if I was Rockies management.

You can say that if you're going to get hurt then it can really happen anytime like chasing a bunt or something but if I'm the guy big bucks to pitch I sure as hell don't want him doing anything other than that and limiting the chances he can get hurt. It does go against the pureness of the game but times have changed and teams pony up a ton of money to keep these guys healthy.

Chien-Ming Wang, the Yankees ace of a couple years ago, got hurt running the bases in a NL park and his whole career is just about done.

Brad Penny hit a grand slam tonight (he is a pitcher for those who might not know), then coming out for the next inning, he didn't make it through the warm up tosses -- strained lat muscle. Early thoughts are DL for sure, a month at least, probably a 6-8 week thing. All of this (injury time) is my speculation based on what I have heard so far. Know more tomorrow. Not sure if he hurt it on the swing, didn't look like it but who knows. Maybe on the all the high 5's in the dugout?

I wonder if the Astros would trade Oswalt in the division?

Brad Penny hit a grand slam tonight (he is a pitcher for those who might not know), then coming out for the next inning, he didn't make it through the warm up tosses -- strained lat muscle. Early thoughts are DL for sure, a month at least, probably a 6-8 week thing. All of this (injury time) is my speculation based on what I have heard so far. Know more tomorrow. Not sure if he hurt it on the swing, didn't look like it but who knows. Maybe on the all the high 5's in the dugout?

I kinda doubt it, maybe someplace like Detroit, or maybe Toronto ( to replace Halladay)

He slipped in the shower that morning, and tweaked it more on the swing. :D

Sorry dude, get in line. He will be a Dodger by the end of the month. How about this Garcia kid you got?

Sorry dude, get in line. He will be a Dodger by the end of the month. How about this Garcia kid you got?

I could see that Gas but I thought that there wasn't much spending going on with the Dodgers until the owner's divorce was finalized?

Also,there's a lot of talk of Oswalt coming to the Phillies via the old Ed Wade connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, it is wishful thinking to get him here. It would be nice to have 3 aces though. This is one guy I don't mind where he goes. The Cards have a pretty good recent history against him.

Garcia is not slowing down much at all. He got hurt by some errors in his last start and had to labor a bit early. Ir broke his streak of all quality starts this year. Not bad for a rookie. They are taking it pretty easy with him so far. I don't think he has seen the 7th inning but maybe once or twice. He is sharp when you watch him. Keeps everyone off balance. One local writer has a great way to describe him -- he has a lot of different ways to get guys out. Pretty rare for a rookie.

I could see that Gas but I thought that there wasn't much spending going on with the Dodgers until the owner's divorce was finalized?

Also,there's a lot of talk of Oswalt coming to the Phillies via the old Ed Wade connection.
Its tough to say. The pitching staff has turned it around and is looking pretty good now but he was getting shelled pretty bad by the media for not spending any money this offseason. I think the court date just got pushed back again which really sucks. I am hoping Ned Colletti can work some of his magic like he has in the past. He is pretty good at getting other teams to pick up a lot of the salary. It sounds like Peavy is getting ready to demand a trade as well and if it was between the two I would go with Jake. The one thing I do know is that there will be riots in the streets if the Phillies pull off another trade and the Dodgers do nothing again.
Yea, it is wishful thinking to get him here. It would be nice to have 3 aces though. This is one guy I don't mind where he goes. The Cards have a pretty good recent history against him.
Haha, isnt 2 Aces enough? You guys need to share a little. What happened to Penny last night?

It is just a light strain of a lat muscle. Much less severe than originally thought. It first came up after his last start, but he didn't say anything as it slowly went away, so it wasn't anything that happend last night. He is still going on the DL. Our long middle reliever has a small injury and they need him to rest a few days, if not, Penny probably wouldn't have been put on, they would have just skipped his next start. We had to add a pitcher who is available in the short term since the bullpen got overworked last night because he came out early.

Jose "Lima Time" apparently died to today of a heart attack in LA. He was only 37.

He was way too young. Even though he wasnt the best pitcher, he had to have one of the best personalities in the game. He used to sing the National Anthem before Dodger games and it never really sounded good but it was always great because he was so into it. He did a lot for the city and just opened a baseball academy in Pasadena. Such a sad thing, RIP Lima Time.

Good for Doc. Couldn't happen to a better guy. Even in his post game interview he didn't get to worked up about it. Like it happens every day.

Good for Doc. Couldn't happen to a better guy. Even in his post game interview he didn't get to worked up about it. Like it happens every day.

Aside from his skill, this is what has helped him transition so well in Philly. He is just a normal guy

I guess Griffey has decided to retire. He should be a no doubt first ballot Hall of Famer.

I guess Griffey has decided to retire. He should be a no doubt first ballot Hall of Famer.

He'll get more naps now...

Too bad he got hurt, thought he'd make a run at Aarons numbers

wow midseason. no doubt on the HOF gasman. the kid was good

did anyone just see the 1st base umpire cost the guy from detroit a perfect game? I'm not even a Tigers fan and I know the guy got hosed. I feel bad for him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back