Travelling With Clubs?

Travelling With Clubs?

• I put a plastic bag around my normal golf bag and off I go

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have a travel hybrid bag / hard case.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I have a soft travel cover --> works just fine!

Votes: 76 67.9%
  • I don't, I just rent

Votes: 7 6.3%

• Total voters
Just an update, I went with the suggestions of a few and bought the ClubGlove Burst Proof 2 and also got the Stiff Arm. Found it for $170 and then another 10% off, so pretty good deal. I will let everyone know how it goes, 4 place rides in the next week and a half!

I think you will be happy. And that is a good price.

Not that it matters now, but this blurb is in the September 2009 Golf Digest (p.90):

IMG-1.jpg

I found the "hockey stick" reference particularly humorous considering THIS. I guess the folks at GD are reading Dent's posts as well.

5 tips for flying with golf clubs - International - Golf Travel Insider | Golf Channel

5 tips for flying with golf clubs
By ERIK PETERSON
Travel Editor, GolfChannel.com
Posted: August 17, 2009

Golf is unique to other sports in a lot of ways, including its ability to get us to fly to play it.

From the hassle of hauling them around, to the cash we dole out just to bring them along, flying with golf clubs can be about as frustrating as five-putting. But when it comes to flying somewhere to play golf, most of us would rather go without clean underwear than our precious golf clubs. So, if you’re like a lot of people and you can’t leave home without them, here are five tips for flying with golf clubs.

1. Carry it on – Although you don’t have a choice but to check your golf clubs, make an effort to carry-on your other luggage. If you have to, take a few items you'd normally check separately and stuff them into your golf bag. At all costs, avoid that second checked bag fee, which is almost always more than the first.

2. Invest in quality luggage – If you think traveling without quality golf club luggage isn’t important, you’ve obviously never been the victim of a broken driver shaft. Getting your clubs from A to B – and back again – is the goal, so why skimp on the luggage? Club Glove is the king of soft carriers and Secure Golf Travel has a solid collection of hard cases. Either one will work but remember, the harder the case, the harder they’ll throw it.

3. Do the math – In some cases, it simply makes more sense to leave the clubs at home. Are you only playing once? Does the golf course have brand new rental sets? What about FedEx? Run the numbers and don’t forget: You have to pay to check your clubs to and from your destination. Most airlines charge at least $20 each way; at most courses you can rent a set for less than that. And in the current economy, many resort courses are even throwing in free rentals to encourage golfers to play more golf.

4. Stay calm – If you’re a seasoned golf traveler, you know that airline travel is unpredictable. Don’t be surprised if you arrive at your destination and your clubs aren’t there. Stay calm, and notify the airline of the issue. In most cases, they’ll rush your clubs straight to your hotel or golf course. If not, hotels and golf courses are usually so appreciative of your business that they’ll work to accommodate you no matter what it takes. Just like a round of golf when you’re hitting it crooked, the calmer you remain, the better chance you have of turning it into a worthwhile experience.

5. Fly Southwest – With policies like open seating, Southwest Airlines is no doubt a maverick in the world of airline travel. It comes as no surprise, then, that it would be the last man standing in the industry’s quest to resist charging baggage fees (passengers' first two are free). Smaller airlines jumped on board early last year, and now everyone’s doing it – except Southwest. So, if you’re looking to cut corners wherever you can – and who isn’t these days? – consider flying Southwest. It doesn’t fly to every city in America, but it’ll get you to Orlando, Phoenix, Detroit, and many other gateways to great golf.

Thanks Harry, I wish I wasn't checking two bags, but there is no way around it. My other bag has to get me through two vacations.
I am glad I bought the Club Glove, that way I am not worried about my clubs and it should last me forever!
Jet Blue is another airline that allows you to check a bag for free. Most airlines now charge for the first checked bag! It is costing me $120 just in checked bags over the next week and a half.

Thanks Harry, I wish I wasn't checking two bags, but there is no way around it. My other bag has to get me through two vacations.
I am glad I bought the Club Glove, that way I am not worried about my clubs and it should last me forever!
Jet Blue is another airline that allows you to check a bag for free. Most airlines now charge for the first checked bag! It is costing me $120 just in checked bags over the next week and a half.

Is it weird that anytime I can't sleep, my first thought is to get up and bust open the laptop and head to THP?

Anyway . . .

I have never worried about clubs in my ClubGlove. The baggage handlers would have to do something really severe to be able to damage them. (now watch, yours will get damaged and I will feel like complete :poop: for recommending the BP2 to you.)

I forgot to ask, what color did you get?

The baggage fee just pees me off. The airlines implemented it when gas prices were through the roof, now it's here to stay even though gas prices are back down. And they certainly haven't lowered ticket prices. I've been checking up on tickets to go see my family and they are exactly the same as they have always been.

Can you imagine if any of company/business/store ran their business the way the airlines do: prices that change every hour (or more) and every person on a flight paying a different price, random taxes and fees, seats getting smaller and closer together, making you stay on the plane during lengthy delays, etc.

Soxy-

Did you see the $599 unlimited flights (for 30 days) Jet Blue is offering? Probably too late for you to save any money. Bummer.

Red:devil:

Good call. It will stand out at the airport.

I think I mentioned this before, but I went with black to match my other luggage. Problem is, my bags now match everyone else's bags. Next time around, I'm going with something that stands out.

Well, my brown with pink trim clubglove is loaded up and ready to head to the airport tomorrow morning.

Here's what burns me: four of us, four bags (the kids can share one). Except Hubby drops us off at checkin and heads to long term parking, then shuttles back and checks in on his own. It's not fair to make him lug a suitcase as well.

So--when I checked in today, I had three of us checking four bags, and Hubby checking none. $15 for the first bag per person, but $25 for the second, even though the total number of bags equals the total number of people.

Grrr. You can't argue with a web site.

travel bag suggestions?

travel bag suggestions?

I am preparing for a trip, and my zipper has broken on my travel bag. Does anyone out there have any suggestions or reviews on travel bags? I will be traveling by plane, so it will need to be pretty sturdy/padded. Any info would be great!! :D

I looked around the forums and did not come accross any types of reviews for these.

I am preparing for a trip, and my zipper has broken on my travel bag. Does anyone out there have any suggestions or reviews on travel bags? I will be traveling by plane, so it will need to be pretty sturdy/padded. Any info would be great!! :D

I looked around the forums and did not come accross any types of reviews for these.

CB,
I merged your thread with this one as it is the same topic.

Great, thanks JB.

not sure why I couldnt find this tread :X

Another tip I learned years ago....If your bag allows it, put the woods in the bag with the head in the bottom......I know some bags won't allow a big-head driver in head first. Mine does...I also second the tip of taping all the irons together and then some towels around any exposed clubs......

Well, I really appreciate this thread...Really good info in my hunt for a travel bag for the Fall outing... Main things I have gleaned:
  1. Soft Cover over Hard Cover due to a lot of variables
  2. Use a hockey Stick or something in the bag
  3. Pack clothes in your golf bag to avoid a 2nd bag fee for shorter trips
  4. Probably end up using your cart bag instead of stand bag due to weight/size issues
  5. Clubglove Burstproof2 seems to be getting a lot of attention

Stiff Arm is a must too. Worth the $25

So--when I checked in today, I had three of us checking four bags, and Hubby checking none. $15 for the first bag per person, but $25 for the second, even though the total number of bags equals the total number of people.

Grrr. You can't argue with a web site.

This post is almost 9 months old, and you may never even see this reply, but why on earth didn't you just check the second bag under hubby so they all cost $15?

I've been using one of these for years. It is compact, very sturdy and easy to carry. It also serves as your golf bag.

http://www.travalite.com/

Still loving my Club Glider. It has performed well on several recent trips and I have not had one incident at all related to the clubs packed inside.

This post is almost 9 months old, and you may never even see this reply, but why on earth didn't you just check the second bag under hubby so they all cost $15?

On that trip, Hubby dropped us and the bags to check in, then drove to long-term parking to drop the car. He didn't want to schlepp a bag back, and I couldn't check in a bag for him without him.

We've since started going to long term parking together and schlepping all the bags. Travelling with kids is so much easier once they start growing up a little.

On that trip, Hubby dropped us and the bags to check in, then drove to long-term parking to drop the car. He didn't want to schlepp a bag back, and I couldn't check in a bag for him without him.

We've since started going to long term parking together and schlepping all the bags. Travelling with kids is so much easier once they start growing up a little.

Ahhh, now that makes sense.

if your going on a golf trip and know your going to take your clubs join airtrans a plus rewards then book your tickets. when you get to the gate do the fifty dollar upgrade a plus rewards members get a discount so its 25 dollars and you get two bags because your in first class and a golf bag gets on as one of those bags. my in laws have a place at myrtle beach and they live in Charlotte we fly to see them and this is how i have done it for years

another reason to stuff clothes in there is padding

if your going on a golf trip and know your going to take your clubs join airtrans a plus rewards then book your tickets. when you get to the gate do the fifty dollar upgrade a plus rewards members get a discount so its 25 dollars and you get two bags because your in first class and a golf bag gets on as one of those bags. my in laws have a place at myrtle beach and they live in Charlotte we fly to see them and this is how i have done it for years

AirTrans is starting service in Huntsville today I believe.. Unfortunately, they dont fly into WPB from here..Only Orlando...BUT...I do have another trip in early August and will proably fly
Thanks for the advice.....

bama

another reason to stuff clothes in there is padding

yeah...Whichever bag I get, I plan on packing some of my clothes (up to 49 lbs total) inside so I can get away wityh only the golf bag and 1 carry on for the trip...

How do you travel with your clubs?

How do you travel with your clubs?

I'm planning a trip with a couple buddies to Vegas for the Canadian Thanksgiving (October) and am planning to play a couple rounds. Having never travelled with my clubs before, I'm wondering what's the best way. What do you guys do? Any horror stories with airlines?

I traveled with my clubs to SoCal a couple of weeks ago. I used a Datrek hard case and had no problems other than TSA opening up the case and unzipping all the pockets of my golf bag. The tees, balls, etc. were all rattling around until I was able to open the case and put everything back in its place.

Back