Lost Desire To Golf

Still haven't gotten out to play. Been working 2 jobs lately and had my first weekend off last weekend. Had so much to do plus less than desirable weather kept me from playing. I plan on taking 2 days off from both jobs in a couple weeks and spending some time on the course! At that point it will be 6 and a half months since I played last, just hoping to break 100!

Like most of the other posters in this thread I took a break during the winter this season. I played about 3 or 4 times from late november until March. People around me noticed I was kind of down and didn't have much drive to leave the house. When I finally got back out there I was eager to play and I realized one of the reasons of being so down was how much I missed playing. I think being a part of a country club helps with that as I have several friends there that I enjoy playing with. Until I joined there I used to mostly just play casual rounds of golf but the past year and a half I have been playing for money and in every tournament that comes my way. It has made the game have more meaning for me and I truly think the competition makes me want to get better.

The longest break I took was about 4 years with playing a handful of rounds during that time due to a job that just didn't allow much free time. Since getting back into golf, the game has helped me have a better attitude, more energy, lose weight and most importantly gave me something to strive for. 2007 was a rough year after losing my mom, grandfather and uncle who I played golf with regularly. I wish I would have been playing back then to help with all of those negative thoughts because golf is the type of game when you are playing it your mind can't be anywhere else. For me that is more than enough reason to play for the rest of my life because when we need a break from everyday struggles nothing will get your mind off of problems more than a hooked drive and a 3 putt. I hope you get the desire back to play Craig because I know few things in life excite me anymore but when I think of golf I light up like a christmas tree.

Still haven't gotten out to play. Been working 2 jobs lately and had my first weekend off last weekend. Had so much to do plus less than desirable weather kept me from playing. I plan on taking 2 days off from both jobs in a couple weeks and spending some time on the course! At that point it will be 6 and a half months since I played last, just hoping to break 100!

How about when you do get out there just have fun and don't even take a score card. Just enjoy being outdoors and with friends. Relax and oh yea...Have Fun!

How about when you do get out there just have fun and don't even take a score card. Just enjoy being outdoors and with friends. Relax and oh yea...Have Fun!

this is exactly what i was gonna say... i wouldnt even worry about a score... just have fun smacking the ball around

i cant say i have ever layed off of golf. golf is my passion and it is one of the things i live for. i cant replicate the feeling of putting it close from the sand or chipping and holeing out. as long as the weather is not dangerous you can probally find me at the golf course. nothing feels better than being tied on the 18th hole and a testy 6 footer for the win. golf is what i dream about. my nightmares are golf dreams. but then i wake up and say i could have made that shot and nothing feels better on a cold winter day than hitting a par 5 in two and one putting.

At that point it will be 6 and a half months since I played last, just hoping to break 100!

if your lost interest is enduring or temporary ...
either way theres's no right or wrong ...
no reason to feel bad or good about it ...

if you shoot in the 70s or 120s who cares unless the competitive mentality is built into your dna that you can't not enjoy it without concern for score ...

even with ardent desire to be the best there has to be room also for pure innocent enjoyment ...

honestly i'd suggest you find a course that has a lot of open time ...
when few people are on the course ...
almost like late fall evenings ...

if you're able ... walk the course ...
it's liberating on multiple fronts ...

and just hit shots ...

don't bring the scorecard ...
just your carry bag ...

enjoy the stroll ...

dread shots you yank and blade all over the place ...
smile at the approach shots that land softly near the hole and the iron shots that travel better than expected ...

take all of them in stride ...

and i'd be willing to bet that you'll quite naturally lose track of things which may be troubling you both on and off the golf course ...

and that days experience of hitting balls without pressure ... absorbing natures grandest of strolls ... mindlessly distracted by the sights and sounds of assorted bird species, perhaps mischievous chipmunks, and any other wildlife in your area ... cognizant if not even enlivened by the splendor of the course in its beauty and design ...

all without hindrance while aimlessly contemplating the state of your game ...your terrible shots ... your good shots ... maybe even about life in general ...

all this just might lead you to a place where you'll be smiling contently ...

and one way or another ... with your interest in golf once more vigorously renewed ... or quite content and at peace with its more trivial nature in the scheme of your life ... you may just leave heartened by, and in harmony with whatever you're feeling at that moment ... knowing it's what right and best for you at this point in your life ...

aside ... working two jobs ... presumably to make ends meet ... keep away the vultures ... put food on the table ... roof over your head ...

worst case scenario you may never get back the desire to play ... but in my estimation you'll also never be without one of life's most admirable qualities ...

honor ...

keep swinging C Mac ...

Last edited:
It is ingrained in me to keep score as I play, so I will keep my score and doing so never affected my play or general attitude on the course. I am really just looking to get a group of buddies together to play and have a good time, a few nice cigars and a couple cold ones, I can work on the game after that. To me golf has always been a work in progress for as long as I can remember. I long ago gave up on the hope I would be a good player, I know what I am capable of and still expect a lot, but more so expect to score in a certain range depending on how I am playing at the time.

It is ingrained in me to keep score as I play, so I will keep my score and doing so never affected my play or general attitude on the course. I am really just looking to get a group of buddies together to play and have a good time, a few nice cigars and a couple cold ones, I can work on the game after that. To me golf has always been a work in progress for as long as I can remember. I long ago gave up on the hope I would be a good player, I know what I am capable of and still expect a lot, but more so expect to score in a certain range depending on how I am playing at the time.

all the more reason for you to join us in florida CM at the outing. i promise that it will be two of the best golfing days of your life man.

i nearly enjoy playing as much if i shoot low high in between or keep no score at all and just hitting shots ... so the scoring aspect i can't completely relate to personally ... but do understand ...

i have a friend who gave it up for about a year ... and it was because he wasn't playing well ... wasn't scoring ...

i still remember what he said that last time we played before he quit, "what's the point in continuing to play this game when i'm never going to get better, and you're supposed to get better at everything the more you do it" ...

lol i shouldn't have laughed at him, but i did, because trifling misery can be (and should be) funny ... of course he then also said, "i seriously sometimes want to kill you." ... some part of me believed him ... but no such demise obviously befell me ...

in any event back on que ... he's back playing golf ... though not playing that much better ironically ... but playing nevertheless ...

and he's done something similar to what you alluded to ... which is why i think he's enjoyingi t more despite not scoring better ...

he's joined a very laid back league ... modest course with no significant challenge so to speak (there aren't 100 lakes on this course for example) ... but it's a fun course nonetheless ... and being with a bunch of friends and drinking and smoking is seemingly part of the appeal that's brought him back to the game ...

anyway simple as it sounds ... we score what we score ... i can just shrug my shoulders at the scoring aspect ... you seem to understand that .... but at the same time are troubled of sorts by scores that don't meet your expectations ...

i think however the trouble is more illusory than fantastic fo you ... and i think you already know the answers you seem to be looking for ...

As to where I am, I was, admittedly, lost for a moment, between Charing Cross and Holborn, but I was saved by the bread shop on Southford Hill. The only baker to use a certain French glaze on their loaves - a Brittany sage. After that, the carriage forked left and right, and then a tell-tale bump at the Fleet conduit. And as to who you are, that took every ounce of my not-inconsiderable experience. The letters on your desk were addressed to a Sir Thomas Rothman, Lord Chief Justice, that would be the official title. Who you *really* are is, of course, another matter entirely. Judging by the sacred ox on your ring, you're the secret head of the Temple of the Four Orders in whose headquarters we now sit, located on the northwest corner of St. James Square, I think. As to the mystery, the only mystery is why you bothered... to blindfold me at all.

-- Sherlock Holmes

I decided 2 weeks ago that I needed a break from working 60+ hours a week. So I am taking the next three days off from both jobs and getting in at least 2 rounds of golf. I have only played once this entire year! Of course, it is raining out now and a chance of rain tomorrow but that will not stop me. Playing one of my favorite courses in the area tomorrow called Nansemond River. I know the course pretty well and not really having many expectations other than to just get out and play, have some fun, smoke a few cigars and hope to break 100. Hopefully the weather will be decent enough that can take a camera along and snap a couple pictures of this incredible course.

Dude, that's awesome, time off from work to golf is possibly the best thing in the history of the world! Have a great time and be sure to get some pics posted up!

have fun bro... that is a great course

4 years.
I just lost the desire to play one day. I think I was striking badly or something, and I just quit.

Good to hear the bug has bitten you again.

So I ended up shooting an 87 yesterday(42-45), on the back nine I had back to back triples from the center of the fairway from 115 yards and 165 yards, other than that I was pretty happy with the way I played considering I had not played in 6 months. Had 9 fairway hit and 8 GIR's, it was mostly the short game that hurt me. Lipped out 5 or 6 putts as well. Was just fun to get out.

Here's a few pics: Hole 1
Hole1.jpg

Hole #3
Hole3.jpg

Hole #10 with hole #11 in background(missed the birdie putt there)
Hole10.jpg

Hole #13(a long dogleg right par 5 that you can choose either an aggressive line and possibly get there in two,
there are actually two greens on this hole and they switch them up every now and then, one plays much shorter but that wasn't our green today)
hole13.jpg

Hole 16(a short par three around 100 yards, small green and trouble all around)
Hole16.jpg

Hole 17(an island green that sees a lot of golf balls splashing around it)
Hole17.jpg

Front Nine Cigar
NoellaReserva.jpg

Back Nine Cigar
T110-4.jpg

Great pics Craig... Glad you were able to get out and enjoy this beautiful golf course. Shooting a highly respectable score after such a long lay off is admirable to say the least!

Great round after such a long lay off, especially with two triples! Nice looking course too! I wish our trees still had leaves like that. :)

Great pic's Craig, thanks for sharing. Sounds like a nice, relaxing time.

Awesome pics I love wide open courses (Atleast thats what it looks like.) Either way its beautiful and I'm glad to hear you had fun!

wow that was a great round and awesome pics

Great thread. Let's see where to begin...I started playing when I was 7 years old and started competing in local and state junior events at 8. I went on to play on a golf scholarship at Virginia Tech and pretty much played 7 days a week 365 days a year. I got married right after graduation to a woman who did not care for golf nor appreciated the cost. So I started playing once a week and then once a month and after about a year of this I got so frustrated with the game because I would play well one day and horrible the next that I gave it up for 5 years. My wife and I divorced around the end of this time and a buddy asked if I wanted to tee it up and of course I agreed. We went out a played and after 5 years away I shot 2 over and was hooked again.

My biggest issue with golf is I have to practice (I love to work on my game) to enjoy playing. Playing bad or infrequent is just not in my makeup. I then gave the game up around 4 years later and did not pick up another club until 2005 when I built a house on a golf course. I played steady until November 2008 and then took a promotion to Greensboro, NC and basically worked 70 hours a week and therefore gave it up again. Around March of this year I decided life was way to short to work so hard and went right out and bought a new set of clubs and have been pretty steady since. I am enjoying the game more than ever now and do not take it near as serious but still love to practice. Before I quit a few years ago I was playing to a +3 and now I am a 2 and I have no issues at all even though I am still trying to get better. That is what is so great about it. To me it is just getting out in the outdoors and spending some alone time and for me there is no better way then golf. I think I will continue to play now more than ever. My dad retired and I have always enjoyed teeing it up with him every chance I get.

Not sure what it's been about the past few weeks, but I've kinda just lost the drive to play lately. Played on Thursday with my Dad who was visiting, played like total horse sh*! because I haven't been practicing but maybe once a week lately, and I'm kinda at a point right now where I think I might just need a brief break. It could be any number of things causing it:

-practiced a TON, took lessons, and played a lot the first half of this year, especially with training for #TheKing (a lot of good that did me! :laughing: ), so maybe I'm just burned out
-I've been feeling lately like I just never get any better, no matter how much I practice/get lessons/play
-Getting close to ski season, and just bought a new to me/used pair of skis, so my interests are shifting
-Spent a fair bit of money over the past couple weeks with my parents being in town and doing a bunch of fun stuff, so I'm becoming a bit of a tightwad about golf

Or a combination. But for whatever reason, I've just got no drive. Now that being said, if anybody wants to tee it up, I am all for it and I always love playing with THPers! But I just don't have the improvement push anymore.

Not sure why I felt the need to post that - explaining why I haven't been around here much lately, to get it off my chest, whatever - but I just had to air it out. Anybody else been in this boat?

I'm with you. Could have typed that out myself, except I don't ski. First two and last point hit close to home.

Not sure what it's been about the past few weeks, but I've kinda just lost the drive to play lately. Played on Thursday with my Dad who was visiting, played like total horse sh*! because I haven't been practicing but maybe once a week lately, and I'm kinda at a point right now where I think I might just need a brief break. It could be any number of things causing it:

-practiced a TON, took lessons, and played a lot the first half of this year, especially with training for #TheKing (a lot of good that did me! :laughing: ), so maybe I'm just burned out
-I've been feeling lately like I just never get any better, no matter how much I practice/get lessons/play
-Getting close to ski season, and just bought a new to me/used pair of skis, so my interests are shifting
-Spent a fair bit of money over the past couple weeks with my parents being in town and doing a bunch of fun stuff, so I'm becoming a bit of a tightwad about golf

Or a combination. But for whatever reason, I've just got no drive. Now that being said, if anybody wants to tee it up, I am all for it and I always love playing with THPers! But I just don't have the improvement push anymore.

Not sure why I felt the need to post that - explaining why I haven't been around here much lately, to get it off my chest, whatever - but I just had to air it out. Anybody else been in this boat?
I totally feel some of your frustrations about never getting better no matter how much I play or practice.
I also think playing with THPers/friends kind of sours me towards paying solo or with others too. We had so much fun last time the 4 of us teed it up that anything else seems like it's not worth the money.

I'm with you. Could have typed that out myself, except I don't ski. First two and last point hit close to home.

The money thing is really eating at me lately for some reason. Not even sure why - it's not like I'm hurting for cash or anything, but sometimes I just get to these points where I become a monumentally cheap b*stard and want to do cheap/free stuff for a while hahaha

I totally feel some of your frustrations about never getting better no matter how much I play or practice.
I also think playing with THPers/friends kind of sours me towards paying solo or with others too. We had so much fun last time the 4 of us teed it up that anything else seems like it's not worth the money.

This is so true man. That and playing with my pops on Thursday - I played like crap and didn't care because I was playing with him, and I rarely get that chance anymore cause he lives back East. Playing with you guys is kinda the same way, just always a total blast regardless of the play quality. With my last few rounds having been with good friends or loved ones, the idea of playing solo or practicing is kinda meh.

Back