My Detroit Intro Show Trip

Osahar

Working on the swing
Reaction score
Just got home tonight from an overnight trip to Detroit for our 2010 Ford Dealer Intro Show. I had an absolute blast. Was able to meet 15 of my dealers that attended, and got to see a lot of what's coming for the company. Lots of big changes in the works, both from a product standpoint as well as technology and customer experience plans.

The highlight of the trip, though, was the first day. All morning and afternoon we were out on Belle Isle for a driving event.

First, I hit the Mustang Comparison Drive. First, I drove a 2011 Mustang V6 (305hp, 31mpg) through an autocross layout. After that, switch to a 2010 Camaro to compare (I had a V6, but there were a couple V8's as well). Then finish it off with a spin around the course in the 2011 Mustang GT (412hp, 27mpg). Also got to watch Ken Block toss a European Focus RS (300hp) through the course. My impressions: The Mustang V6 was the best on the course - lots of power and a great cornering balance. The GT was great as well, but I was a little tooo aggressive with the acceleration so had to do some hard braking...but can you blame me? By comparison, the Camaro felt heavier and didn't like to corner like the Mustangs did. On a more wide-open road track, the GT would be a LOT of fun.
DSCN0500.jpg

DSCN0506.jpg

DSCN0502.jpg

DSCN0501.jpg

Next, I did the Fiesta Timed Autocross. One of our execs set the "time to beat" and they let us loose to see if we could beat it, 2 attempts. That little car will go pretty good on the tight course they had set up with the cones. I beat the time, and left plenty of rubber in the corners. Lots of grinning after running it through the twists!
DSCN0504.jpg

Third up, I hit the Fiesta Comparison Drive. I ran a 2011 Fiesta sedan through another cone course that had a slalom section, an "emergency lane change" spot, and a nice bumpy section. Then I took a Honda Fit through the same course: My impressions: The Fiesta really has no competition in that class. The Fit is currently supposed to be the best of the "B" class subcompacts, and it had a lot of body roll and I thought I was going to take out cones on the emergency lane change, it didn't want to straighten back out after I tossed it over. The Fiesta felt solid all the way through the course. About time we brought over some of our European designs that are so loved across the Atlantic!
DSCN0505.jpg

Fourth I went over to the Truck drive area. Got to drive a Super Duty with both the 6.7L diesel and the 6.2L gas engines. Then drove the new engine lineup for the 2011 F-150, but since they haven't been announced yet mum's the word here. I'll just say that they were a very nice surprise, since I hadn't even heard all the details yet. The new 6.7L diesel is a beast of a motor, and super quiet. No louder than te 6.2L gas was, even at idle. No cones or anything, just drove around a portion of the roads out on the island.
DSCN0508.jpg

Finally, I headed over to the 2011 Edge drive. Same drive layout as for the trucks. We had the Limited with the new 3.5L V6 (285hp 27mpg), but not the Sport or EcoBoost models. They also had the new MyFord Touch system, which was just amazing. If you've used SYNC, this is the next generation. 2 multifunction screens beside the speedo operated by a pair of 5-way controllers on the steering wheel and an 8" touch screen in the center stack. And everything can be voice operated as well. Great vehicle, great ride.
DSCN0512.jpg

DSCN0513.jpg

After not having a show last year, it was good to see all the dealers together and excited about all the good things that have been happening for the company over the past year. :clapp:
DSCN0507.jpg

DSCN0514.jpg

You weren't kidding about that Edge. That thing is puhrty.

I had no idea that the Edge seats 7 :)

Good stuff Osahar. I love the looks of the 2011 Mustang, and love even more that they've made a nice V6 like that with great gas mileage. I'm sure my wife would let me have one...once they release the mini-van version :act-up:

There is NO replacement for displacement! I'll take the 411 horse GT. It goes fast in a straight line and I'll figure out how to get it around the corners.:banana:

I love the Knightrider mustang even though it was a V6 and we all know friends dont let friends drive V6 mustangs. That Focus RS is MEAN looking! Would love to take that car out and blow some of these kids off the road in those fart cars.

Did you take those pics Oasahar? Freakin nice pictures

I had no idea that the Edge seats 7 :)

Only 5 in an Edge, GC. If you need the 3rd row, you'd want to look at a Flex or the 2011 Explorer. I did see the new Explorer, but no pictures allowed since it hasn't been officially revealed to the public yet. But it's nice!

Also we'll have the Grand C-Max from Europe over here, probably a 2012 model. That also seats 7 I believe. Just had pictures of that one though.

I love the Knightrider mustang even though it was a V6 and we all know friends dont let friends drive V6 mustangs. That Focus RS is MEAN looking! Would love to take that car out and blow some of these kids off the road in those fart cars.

Did you take those pics Oasahar? Freakin nice pictures

Yeah, those were all with my Nikon Coolpix L6 6MP. It does a pretty good job for being a point-n-shoot. The new 5.0 GT is insanely quick (0-60 in 4.3) and the V6 was in 5.1. First gas V6 ever to get over 300hp and over 30mpg. In a tight little course like they set for us, the V6 was a better ride, but with a little more space to enjoy it the GT would be my first choice anyday. The line to wait for the Mustangs was about an hour plus by mid-morning - but SOOO worth the wait.

And actually, the Knight Rider 'Stang was a slightly modified 2008 Mustang Shelby GT500KR - 540hp beastie.

Yeah, those were all with my Nikon Coolpix L6 6MP. It does a pretty good job for being a point-n-shoot. The new 5.0 GT is insanely quick (0-60 in 4.3) and the V6 was in 5.1. First gas V6 ever to get over 300hp and over 30mpg. In a tight little course like they set for us, the V6 was a better ride, but with a little more space to enjoy it the GT would be my first choice anyday. The line to wait for the Mustangs was about an hour plus by mid-morning - but SOOO worth the wait.

And actually, the Knight Rider 'Stang was a slightly modified 2008 Mustang Shelby GT500KR - 540hp beastie.

Mmmmmm I like. They tricked me with that sign behind it. Mustangs simply own Cameros and always will. As cool as the new Cameros look and all.

Mmmmmm I like. They tricked me with that sign behind it. Mustangs simply own Cameros and always will. As cool as the new Cameros look and all.

Oh, you mean this one?
DSCN0502.jpg

That's a Roush 5.0 Dub Edition. They also have a V6 version. No idea on horsepower - it might just be an appearance package, or it might have the Roush SuperCharger.

Good stuff Osahar! thanks for all the cool pics!

Sweet tides Osahar! Thanks for sharing them.

Back