Some advice on picking a set of irons please!

China Cat>Rider

Dazed & Cornfused
Reaction score
I'm finally ready to get a real set of irons. I have been golfing for about 3 years and am starting to get half decent. The irons I have been using are no-name components.

I'm unfortunately on a tight budget and am going to buy something from callway preowned. I have it narrowed down to 3 sets.

1-Callaway Fusions (Not FT fusions)
2-Callaway X-20
3-Mizuno MX-900

I have them ranked in my personal preference but unfortunately that is also the rank in cost too. I have tried all of them out on the range and the course. Can anyone share their experience on any of these? The price difference, even though they are used, are somewhat substantial at least to my bleak budget.

I think I could live with any of them for a few years but was curious to hear any of the "experts" outlook.

come on...nobody has any feedback for me? I'm extremely indecisive...help me out! :D

Mizuno. Get fitted too.

Ive never been a fan of callaways stuff until this years line/

sorry china cat, i've not hit any of those. i game the 22's and love them and there are those out there that swear the 20's are better, whatever that's worth. good luck man, i wish i could help but i'm gonna watch this one from the sidelines.

Mizuno. Get fitted too.

Ive never been a fan of callaways stuff until this years line/

i've never been a fan of mizuno, so i say stick with the cally's.

+1.....

sorry china cat, i've not hit any of those. i game the 22's and love them and there are those out there that swear the 20's are better, whatever that's worth. good luck man, i wish i could help but i'm gonna watch this one from the sidelines.

Just to throw out a few other options.

What about a used set from ebay? Not a private seller, but somewhere like 3balls or global golf?

How about one of the Wilson Staff sets from a couple years ago like the Ci7 or Di7? You can pick up either one for 3-400.00.

Or, you could wait another couple months and save enough to get your budget a little less tight? I know firsthand that budget strains can make it tough, but it's a shame to settle on such a big investment.

i would go for the x-20s you will have something to grow into and i heard they are very forgiving

Just to toss this out there, if the budget is tight look for Nickent 4DX Pro's. I bought them just for kicks when the company was going out and a set of 09 Burners just before that. I can't get the 4DX out of my bag. To me they are super forgiving for a forged shallow cavity type iron and simply better than all the other iron's I tried out. Being that they are forged, it's easy to have them bent for you and you can find them really cheap right now. I didn't expect to really like them, but who knew, lol.

I have not hit those irons.. I just thought I would relay the experience I just had. I decided to purchase a new(used) set of clubs about a year ago. I went through 3 sets before getting fitted and buying the clubs I have now. It was an expensive lesson! I had a very tight budget too. I ended up waiting till I had the money for a new set. Take your time and test all of them. You also end up making friends with the fitters because you spend so much time there. I think they appreciate that to an extent, as long you end up buying lol.

The deals will always be there. See if you can test them at a store first. Then go back and test again. While irons can differ in their composition, looks and forgiveness.. which is better will always be a personal preference. That's why it so important to demo as much as you can without going over board. I overthink my decisions on clubs ALOT. In fact although I love my BP's I always wonder if I shoulda gone stiff shaft. But when all is said and done, Im so happy I demo'd as much as I did. I found MY irons. Perfect for me and the best I've hit for my game. You'd be surprised at the stock some of the smallers stores have with used clubs. Check those out too. Didnt mean to rant cause I know you were looking for opinions on those irons, just wanted to share a similiar experience I had. Let us know how it turns out!

I game the fusions and probably won't change anytime soon. I went for a fitting when they first came out. I hit every brand offered at the time, and the fitter reccommended them for me to give a try. First seeing them online and reading about them made me think they were too big at address, like a semi-truck behind the golf ball. Once I got them in my hand it was love at first strike. They are forgiving irons with a hint of playability, good feedback, and the fitter said at the time that they were the best sellling iron set in golf. So in my biased opinion, I would go with the fusions.

I played the MX-900s for a season (recently upgraded to MP-52). They were solid clubs but I really didn't care for the hollow feel on the 7i and above. The short irons were rocking and they have less offset than your Cally alternatives. I played M-18s in my first season and they actually had a better feel and were easier to work with than the MX-900s. I've heard that there is very little difference between the X20s and the X18s but I can't vouch for that firsthand.

I'd 2nd the Ci7 recommendation if you can get by with a shade less forgiveness and you can find them around $200 on ebay. If you can find a set of Bridgestone GC Mids (usually under $200) they are also incredibly playable and the stock Nippon shaft is very nice.

now thats more like it...lol. I know only I can decide whats best for me. I feel I'm still in the area of my game that spending alot more for something newer will not benefit me much. I've been gaming mix-matched and knock-off component clubs since I started playing and really just want a nice matched set of irons in the bag. something I will be using for 2-3 years.

The Fusions are definitely my first choice. I have hit them many times and they feel "right" to me. I guess I'm slightly hesitant on dropping $400+ on a set of sticks that are over 5 years old. I really like the FT fusions as well but didn't feel a justification on the higher price. I can get a set of the Mizunos 3-pw for under $200 though.

Back