Top Golf balls used for the week

BigLeftyinAZ

Reaction score
AS I get these,I will post in this thread.

April 21, 2010

This week’s Tour Winner is the Srixon Z-Star X golf ball played by Jim Furyk, who won the Verizon Heritage at Harbour Town Golf Links in Hilton Head, South Carolina. Furyk beat Brian Davis (Srixon Z-Star) on the first playoff hole to win his second tournament in 2010 and 15th career PGA title.

Top 10 Finishers: Verizon Heritage

1 Srixon Z-Star X (Jim Furyk)
2 Srixon Z-Star (Brian Davis)
T3 Titleist Pro V1 (Bo Van Pelt)
T3 Titleist Pro V1x (Luke Donald)
T5 Titleist Pro V1x (Kris Blanks)
T5 Titleist Pro V1 (Camilio Villegas)
T5 Callaway Tour i (Ricky Barnes)
T8 Callaway Tour i(z) (Stuart Appleby)
T8 Titleist Pro V1x (Rickie Fowler)
T8 Titleist Pro V1 (Nick O’Hern)
T8 Titleist Pro V1x (Heath Slocum)

Leaderboard: (through 16 events)

2010 Tour Winners:
1 Titleist (8 wins)
2 Callaway (5 wins)
3 Srixon (2 wins)
T4 Nike (1 win)
T4 TaylorMade (1 win)

2010 Season Standings – Top Finishers by Model: **
1 Titleist Pro V1x (2925)
2 Titleist Pro V1 (1650)
3 TaylorMade Penta TP (1185)
4 Nike One Tour (605)
T5 Callaway Tour i(s) (550)
T5 Srixon Z-Star X (550)
7 Bridgestone Tour B330-S (465)
8 Nike One Tour D (310)
9 Callaway Tour i(z) (280)
10 Callaway Tour ix (230)
11 Srixon Z-Star (275)
12 Callaway Tour i (130)
13 Bridgestone Tour B330 (40)

2010 Season Standings – Top Finishers by Manufacturer:
1 Titleist (4575)
2 Callaway (1210)
3 TaylorMade (1185)
4 Nike (915)
5 Srixon (825)
6 Bridgestone (505)

So, do they get a lot of money to play the Pro V1 or is it by choice that they play the Pro V1?

So, do they get a lot of money to play the Pro V1 or is it by choice that they play the Pro V1?

Every player that plays the Pro V1 gets paid. It is a contract just like a club contract would be.

Every player that plays the Pro V1 gets paid. It is a contract just like a club contract would be.

Is there anyone out there that just plays a ball because they like it and not get paid? Or any equipment for that matter?

Is there anyone out there that just plays a ball because they like it and not get paid? Or any equipment for that matter?

Sure, but not many. Tons of guys play equipment that they like and do not get paid. Look at the guys using a SeeMore putter, they dont get paid.

John Daly is playing the Bridgestone Tour B330-S and not getting paid a dime. He is playing it purely because he loves the performance.

Re: Top Golf balls used for the week

Companies would pay him not to play their ball lol

Sure, but not many. Tons of guys play equipment that they like and do not get paid. Look at the guys using a SeeMore putter, they dont get paid.

Does Scotty Cameron pay guys to use their putters?

YES!!!! Quite a bit actually.

YES!!!! Quite a bit actually.

So Furyk switched to one because they paid him to do that? (I doubt that)

I guess I find it hard to believe that Scotty pays "quite a bit" of guys to use their putters. Putting is such a personal thing that I was always under the assumption that MOST guys use what they want, no matter what brand.

You see a lot of guys use putters that are totally different from their main club sponsor. Hence, that's why I think MOST guys use what they want, rather than what they get paid to use.

Is there information available to show contracts and/or who's getting paid to play what? Or is this mostly speculation?

From Wikipedia...

"A number of other professional golfers use Scotty Camerons including those that are on staff of many other major golf companies (Nike, Taylormade, Callaway, etc.) and one reason is that Acushnet, on behalf of Titleist and their Scotty Cameron brand, pay more money to players for using a Scotty Cameron Titleist putter than any other manufacture."

It's not numbers but seems to be saying the same thing JB is.

From Wikipedia...

"A number of other professional golfers use Scotty Camerons including those that are on staff of many other major golf companies (Nike, Taylormade, Callaway, etc.) and one reason is that Acushnet, on behalf of Titleist and their Scotty Cameron brand, pay more money to players for using a Scotty Cameron Titleist putter than any other manufacture."

It's not numbers but seems to be saying the same thing JB is.

haha. I had to laugh when I read what was written about Scotty Cameron when you look that name up in Wikipedia. It seems that someone had some fun putting some of that stuff in there.

You do realize that some people can write whatever they want on some subjects in wikipedia, right? Wikipedia itself warns and tells viewers on some subjects that the information written isn't necessarily credible.

Just because it's in Wikipedia, doesn't necessarily make it accurate on all subjects.

So Furyk switched to one because they paid him to do that? (I doubt that)

I guess I find it hard to believe that Scotty pays "quite a bit" of guys to use their putters. Putting is such a personal thing that I was always under the assumption that MOST guys use what they want, no matter what brand.

You see a lot of guys use putters that are totally different from their main club sponsor. Hence, that's why I think MOST guys use what they want, rather than what they get paid to use.

Is there information available to show contracts and/or who's getting paid to play what? Or is this mostly speculation?

I already said what I am going to say. YOU ARE FLAT OUT WRONG. Jim Furyk switched to the Cameron and got approximately $1000 dollars per week as well as a chance to be a part of their winners pool (can be a large amount of money). The same money that everybody else that uses a Cameron gets. None of what I am writing about contracts is speculation, and frankly I dont care if you dont believe me, which is evident.

We have said to you on MULTIPLE occasions that not every guy has a 14 club deal. Heck few of them do. Just about every guy on tour has a separate putter and ball contract...And yes, your boy Tiger Woods is in the same winners pool as the others with a Cameron.

Acushnet pays a TON of people to be the #1 ball in golf, the #1 putter in golf, the #1 wedge in golf, and many times #1 irons in golf. Just like Taylormade pays a ton to be the #1 driver in golf.

interesting...I didn't know that but it makes sense now with the Scotty news in this thread.
I already said what I am going to say. YOU ARE FLAT OUT WRONG. Jim Furyk switched to the Cameron and got approximately $1000 dollars per week as well as a chance to be a part of their winners pool (can be a large amount of money). The same money that everybody else that uses a Cameron gets. None of what I am writing about contracts is speculation, and frankly I dont care if you dont believe me, which is evident.

We have said to you on MULTIPLE occasions that not every guy has a 14 club deal. Heck few of them do. Just about every guy on tour has a separate putter and ball contract...And yes, your boy Tiger Woods is in the same winners pool as the others with a Cameron.

Acushnet pays a TON of people to be the #1 ball in golf, the #1 putter in golf, the #1 wedge in golf, and many times #1 irons in golf. Just like Taylormade pays a ton to be the #1 driver in golf.

I don't know if you have me confused w/ someone else, but I've always known that club deals are rarely for all 14 clubs. I know I don't know as much as you do on the subject but color me confused as to what you're main and basic point is here.............

That money in sponsorship deals w/ clubs is THE MAIN REASON that guys play certain clubs/balls. Is that an accurate statement?

So, rather than a PGA pro putt w/ whatever he wants, he would would rather simply get paid more to use whatever someone wants him to use?

So Furyk went to a Scotty Cameron because of the money?

If that's all true, I guess that's a little depressing to know that the guys care about money more than they care about what's in their hands.

I would think that this is true for pros just starting out more so than anything?
I don't know if you have me confused w/ someone else, but I've always known that club deals are rarely for all 14 clubs. I know I don't know as much as you do on the subject but color me confused as to what you're main and basic point is here.............

That money in sponsorship deals w/ clubs is THE MAIN REASON that guys play certain clubs/balls. Is that an accurate statement?

So, rather than a PGA pro putt w/ whatever he wants, he would would rather simply get paid more to use whatever someone wants him to use?

If that's all true, I guess that's a little depressing to know that the guys care about money more than they care about what's in their hands.

Where in the world did I ever say that. You said that you did not believe that players got paid to play different clubs outside their sponsor (you said the same thing about balls in another thread). That is just not true. Furyk got paid to play a Cameron. Just like thousands of others do. Does that mean that is why they chose it? Probably not. But the same can be said for irons, drivers, or anything else. These guys can get paid by whoever they want to in most cases. Bo Van Pelt did not like his Nike clubs, so his contract ended and left and went to Titleist. Some companies only take players who will play a larger percentage of their bag. Some will take one club. But Scotty Cameron, Odyssey, and others PAY their players that use their equipment. Companies like SeeMore do not (as well as a few others). That can be the difference for quite a few players. Money vs no money.

Jim Furyk was part of the Odyssey pool and paycheck before switching to the Scotty. Now he is part of that pool and is getting paid to play that putter. Is that the reason he chose it? Nobody knows of course, maybe, maybe not.

Where in the world did I ever say that. You said that you did not believe that players got paid to play different clubs outside their sponsor (you said the same thing about balls in another thread). That is just not true. Furyk got paid to play a Cameron. Just like thousands of others do. Does that mean that is why they chose it? Probably not. But the same can be said for irons, drivers, or anything else. These guys can get paid by whoever they want to in most cases. Bo Van Pelt did not like his Nike clubs, so his contract ended and left and went to Titleist. Some companies only take players who will play a larger percentage of their bag. Some will take one club. But Scotty Cameron, Odyssey, and others PAY their players that use their equipment. Companies like SeeMore do not (as well as a few others). That can be the difference for quite a few players. Money vs no money.

Jim Furyk was part of the Odyssey pool and paycheck before switching to the Scotty. Now he is part of that pool and is getting paid to play that putter. Is that the reason he chose it? Nobody knows of course, maybe, maybe not.

Ok.

However, I just find it really hard to believe a "cash pool" that these guys get part of because they play their putters is a major selling point. You're almost making it sound like money is THE REASON for guys playing the clubs that they play. Driver, wedges, putter, etc.

I know, and you know that they're a part of a "cash pool", but how much money can it be and how much does it affect their choice in a club such as a putter?

I guess no one knows.

Ok.

However, I just find it really hard to believe a "cash pool" that these guys get part of because they play their putters is a major selling point. You're almost making it sound like money is THE REASON for guys playing the clubs that they play. Driver, wedges, putter, etc.

I know, and you know that they're a part of a "cash pool", but how much money can it be and how much does it affect their choice in a club such as a putter?

I guess no one knows.

Cash pools for some companies are VERY large. and we know first hand that it does have an impact on a player. If you dont believe that money plays a role in a player choosing their equipment, that is your choice. But I assure you, that if you learn some of hte business behind the game, you will see that it is a HUGE factor in players choosing everything. Companies like Titleist pay an absurd amount of money to be called the #1 ball in golf.

haha. I had to laugh when I read what was written about Scotty Cameron when you look that name up in Wikipedia. It seems that someone had some fun putting some of that stuff in there.

You do realize that some people can write whatever they want on some subjects in wikipedia, right? Wikipedia itself warns and tells viewers on some subjects that the information written isn't necessarily credible.

Just because it's in Wikipedia, doesn't necessarily make it accurate on all subjects.

Yes, I know what Wikipedia is.

But it's more like because someone is saying something you don't agree with, it must not be accurate.

Titleist pays a lot of money for golfers to play their stuff, true story...deal with it.

Bye.

Cash pools for some companies are VERY large. and we know first hand that it does have an impact on a player. If you dont believe that money plays a role in a player choosing their equipment, that is your choice. But I assure you, that if you learn some of hte business behind the game, you will see that it is a HUGE factor in players choosing everything. Companies like Titleist pay an absurd amount of money to be called the #1 ball in golf.

I agree w/ the last statement. I'm not denying that, nor have I ever. I also can't disagree w/ what you say about players playing equipment for the money.

However, a guy like Furyk, a multiple time winner on tour, isn't hurting for money. Mickelson isn't hurting for money. Tiger isn't hurting for money.

I think those guys putt w/ whatever putter they feel works best for them, period.

I think a large part of it is for the guys who aren't well recognized, and/or who aren't big winners on tour who might be playing stuff that pays them the most money because they simply want the extra income.

No?

I agree w/ the last statement. I'm not denying that, nor have I ever. I also can't disagree w/ what you say about players playing equipment for the money.

However, a guy like Furyk, a multiple time winner on tour, isn't hurting for money. Mickelson isn't hurting for money. Tiger isn't hurting for money.

I think those guys putt w/ whatever putter they feel works best for them, period.

I think a large part of it is for the guys who aren't well recognized, and/or who aren't big winners on tour who might be playing stuff that pays them the most money because they simply want the extra income.

No?

Im done with it, I said my peace and you can believe whatever you would like to on the subject.

$1000 a week is valet money for Furyk. I would think he switched to Scotty for either the larger pool of potential win money if it is indeed larger or he likes the Scotty better.

$1000 a week is valet money for Furyk. I would think he switched to Scotty for either the larger pool of potential win money if it is indeed larger or he likes the Scotty better.

Winners pools can be HUGE money! And an extra 50k a year or so to play a putter is not valet money for just about anybody. Nobody is saying that he did not choose the putter. But for many, the extra money can help them stick to certain brands that have it.

Putters are no different than balls or clubs. People assume that they play clubs just for the money. Perhaps they chose the brand and the money was a bonus. Nobody knows, but to think that contracts dont play a role in every decision is naive.

Wow,This thread makes for some interesting reading. Just about every player on the Tour accepts money to play certain products.It's a money game to them.

All products are pretty much equal in performance .830 cor is 830 and that's it.It comes down to sound,feel and looks.

Back