Shaft Expert - Coming This Week on THP Radio

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This week on THP Radio we will be welcoming in Tim Gillis from Miyazaki Golf Shafts to answer questions and tell us about all things shaft related. For those that picked up or ordered our Spring Issue of the Magazine, you were able to read a great interview with this same person as he offered insight into the world of golf shafts and more specifically Miyazaki.

This is your chance to ask a true expert in the field your question or questions. We will be picking several questions from this thread to ask on the air and have them answered by one of the best in the business.

We would like to keep these to questions that he did not already answer in the magazine, but if some overlap, that is fine as well. Feel free to submit your question right in this thread and if it is chosen, you will be mentioned on the air (forum name) as well as hopefully getting an answer to your question or issues that you are having.

How would you recommend a higher handicap player with limited shaft-fitting resources go about getting fit? I don't really trust the guy at Dick's to pick out a shaft for me. Should I get my swing speed info and then contact the company?

How would you know that a shaft ISN'T right for you?

How would you recommend a higher handicap player with limited shaft-fitting resources go about getting fit? I don't really trust the guy at Dick's to pick out a shaft for me. Should I get my swing speed info and then contact the company?

Perfect question.. I am still lost!!!!

Excellent question! I was thinking of something along those lines too!

I agree withs hawks question.

But also,

I don't have a Miyazaki shaft dealer around me, and with the complex flex code, how do I know which Miyazaki shaft.is right for me.

If your swing speed is on the upper end of say a R flex, but a cooked swing will get you into the S category, would an S flex shaft be more beneficial during the round than an R flex because of the tendency to lose it right when the extra distance is needed?

Do steel shafts perform better than graphite shafts in irons, where distance control is crucially important?

Re: Shaft Expert - Coming This Week on THP Radio

hawk308 said:
I was in contact with a few shaft dealers online who actually offered to send me several shafts in the mail to try out before deciding. This was with the taylormade r9 however so they were already setup with a sleeve for an easy swap. It's worth a shot however depending on the club head your using

I was in contact with a few shaft dealers online who actually offered to send me several shafts in the mail to try out before deciding. This was with the taylormade r9 however so they were already setup with a sleeve for an easy swap. It's worth a shot however depending on the club head your using

I believe this question was directed at the shaft expert coming on the radio for proper fitting rather than just trying some shafts.. But your idea is a good one.

Wow.. you hit the nail on the head. I am accurate with my irons and wedges, but my driver (and occasionally putter) has always been the thing that kept me from being a scratch player. However, I live in a fairly rural area, and the only place within an hour that I can get onto a monitor is Dick's, and after getting them to regrip my Scotty Cameron (not even remotely close to straight I will add), I haven't been too interested in the golf advice they provide. I have a swing speed of about 115 and use an 07 taylormade burner. I am interested in getting a new shaft put into it but have no idea where to start. Would be great to hear feedback on that!

Keep the questions coming. We will be picking some of them tonight and the interview is tomorrow morning.

Does Miyazaki have any plans to get into hybrid shafts or steel shafts? And what can you tell us about the new Miyazaki light weight shaft offering? Sorry I cant remember the name of it but I read about it in a magazine.

it seems to me that shafts, and the composite materials, are evolving more and more every year. how, and what, do you do to stay ahead of the curve?

keeping in line with oem kevin's question, i would also like to know if miyazaki is considering getting into the realm of steel shafts for irons, especially after seeing the immediate success of a company such as kbs?

There are a few questions that I likee

1) How do you tell if a shaft is night right for you?
2) If you are borderline R or S what should you go with. I notice this more on my FW than with a driver.
3) Shaft technology - basically tcalloway's question above

it seems to me that shafts, and the composite materials, are evolving more and more every year. how, and what, do you do to stay ahead of the curve?

keeping in line with oem kevin's question, i would also like to know if miyazaki is considering getting into the realm of steel shafts for irons, especially after seeing the immediate success of a company such as kbs?

+1,000,000

I would kill for Miyazaki steel shafts for my irons (if they are as good as their driver shafts). Do they make wood shafts (shafts for woods that is).

Our question and answer period with Tim Gillis is coming up in about an hour, so any other questions that you have, please submit them.

here are a few I wonder about:
- What are the optimal launch numbers for a driver? And why are they optimal? I know this is different for each player, but in general.
- For a player that struggles with a high launch on everything(esp the driver), would the black be a good shaft fit? - Subjective I know.
- Wouldn't low torque shafts make it easier for everyone to hit it straighter?

Back