The Official Tiger Woods Thread

The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I'm not a Tiger fan but I'd love to see him get back to the top and win this thing.

Kind of the same feeling here Frank. I don't hate him but he's not my favorite player. But there is no denying when he's in contention or winning there is just a different level of excitement in the air.

Last edited:
Struggling today.

Who's this TW guy? 2 holes, 2 birds to start. Where was this yesterday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday wasn't moving day! And he wasn't +3 at the start either. Looking to see how he bounces back today.

He started on #10 today. Hope he plays better on #1 & #2 today.

I must say him pulling driver on #10 surprised me after after yesterday but he crushed it.

Almost went in from the fairway on 18.... On a side note I'm liking that shirt, think I need to add that to the closet

Almost went in from the fairway on 18.... On a side note I'm liking that shirt, think I need to add that to the closet

I want the shirt and the gray shoes too.

Watching the replay now and had the same thought.

I'm beginning to think that TW will never win another major.

I'm beginning to think that TW will never win another major.

Whys that? Because he's not leading the tournament? A tournament which is a major and in packed with the best players in the world? A tournament which is only his second since coming back from back surgery? I think with how dominant tiger was pre 2009, he made it look easy. Now every time he doesn't win a major we ask what was wrong with tiger when we wouldn't ask those questions about any other player in the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whys that? Because he's not leading the tournament? A tournament which is a major and in packed with the best players in the world? A tournament which is only his second since coming back from back surgery? I think with how dominant tiger was pre 2009, he made it look easy. Now every time he doesn't win a major we ask what was wrong with tiger when we wouldn't ask those questions about any other player in the world.

Aren't you saying the same thing he said? It's not as of its been been a couple of years.

Aren't you saying the same thing he said? It's not as of its been been a couple of years.

Not really. In a way, I took his post as a "he's done he won't ever do it again" type of post and if it wasn't meant to be like that then my bad. But my view on it is it's going to be just as tough for tiger to win again as it is for every over golfer in any field. I'm not saying tiger won't ever win again

Not really. In a way, I took his post as a "he's done he won't ever do it again" type of post and if it wasn't meant to be like that then my bad. But my view on it is it's going to be just as tough for tiger to win again as it is for every over golfer in any field. I'm not saying tiger won't ever win again

I guess I saw it as a fan saying "man this stinks, it's beginning to look like it's never going to happen"....

Reminds me of browns fans

Someone tweeted at one point he had hit three drives, and only once did he end up on the hole he was actually playing.

For where Tiger has been at times, smokin' balls down the fairway, it's just nuts. I know he's had a lot of trouble at times with the driver and some of his biggest wins basically came with 13 clubs. But this is almost amazing to watch for the wrong reason.

I guess I saw it as a fan saying "man this stinks, it's beginning to look like it's never going to happen"....

Well done

Haha!

#ShotsFired

That's exactly how I meant it. I hope Tiger gets -- and stays -- healthy, but I worry that he won't stay healthy into his 40s, when lingering injuries tend to linger all the more. And he still doesn't trust the Foley swing. If not now, or soon, then when? As Rory and the other young players continue to improve, Tiger's margin for error will continue to shrink.

It's not that Tiger can't win another major. Of course he can. But the odds diminish with each passing year. As Joe Posnanski pointed out in a recent article, "Less than 10 percent – just 20 of 216 – of all majors were won by players 40 and over," and "Only two players in the last 54 years – Nicklaus in ’86 and Julius Boros in ’68 – were 46 or older when they won a Grand Slam title." People tend to forget that Tiger was 32 when he won at Torrey Pines. 2008 was a long time ago.

The course lineup for the majors doesn't favor Tiger, either. Next year he gets another shot at the Old Course, but the U.S. Open is at Chambers Bay and the PGA is at Whistling Straights. In 2016 it's Oakmont (where he finished second in 2007), Troon (T9 in 2004) and Baltusrol (T4 in 2005). Those courses are pretty good for him, but they're not Pebble, which won't host the Open until 2019, or Bethpage, which won't host the PGA until 2019, or TP, which won't host the Open until 2021.

Tiger is the most talented golfer I've ever seen, and probably will ever see. Tiger's game at age 25 was far more complete, and consistent, than Rory's is today. But Tiger's game was predicated on confidence and physicality. He's clearly lost some confidence in the majors. And he has himself admitted that his physical abilities aren't what they once were.

I hope Tiger wins another major. I hope he wins 19 majors. And I took a lot from Tiger's win at the Players last year. But he's on the back nine of his career, and he's starting to press.

That's exactly how I meant it. I hope Tiger gets -- and stays -- healthy, but I worry that he won't stay healthy into his 40s, when lingering injuries tend to linger all the more. And he still doesn't trust the Foley swing. If not now, or soon, then when? As Rory and the other young players continue to improve, Tiger's margin for error will continue to shrink.

It's not that Tiger can't win another major. Of course he can. But the odds diminish with each passing year. As Joe Posnanski pointed out in a recent article, "Less than 10 percent – just 20 of 216 – of all majors were won by players 40 and over," and "Only two players in the last 54 years – Nicklaus in ’86 and Julius Boros in ’68 – were 46 or older when they won a Grand Slam title." People tend to forget that Tiger was 32 when he won at Torrey Pines. 2008 was a long time ago.

The course lineup for the majors doesn't favor Tiger, either. Next year he gets another shot at the Old Course, but the U.S. Open is at Chambers Bay and the PGA is at Whistling Straights. In 2016 it's Oakmont (where he finished second in 2007), Troon (T9 in 2004) and Baltusrol (T4 in 2005). Those courses are pretty good for him, but they're not Pebble, which won't host the Open until 2019, or Bethpage, which won't host the PGA until 2019, or TP, which won't host the Open until 2021.

Tiger is the most talented golfer I've ever seen, and probably will ever see. Tiger's game at age 25 was far more complete, and consistent, than Rory's is today. But Tiger's game was predicated on confidence and physicality. He's clearly lost some confidence in the majors. And he has himself admitted that his physical abilities aren't what they once were.

I hope Tiger wins another major. I hope he wins 19 majors. And I took a lot from Tiger's win at the Players last year. But he's on the back nine of his career, and he's starting to press.

I look at the number of players on the wrong side of 40 who have won majors and think, "Why not Tiger?" He'll win a couple more before it's all said and done. And if he doesn't, he'll still be the best golfer I've ever seen and my favorite.

Note....I'm 35 and didn't see Jack play in his prime.

I look at the number of players on the wrong side of 40 who have won majors and think, "Why not Tiger?" He'll win a couple more before it's all said and done. And if he doesn't, he'll still be the best golfer I've ever seen and my favorite.

Note....I'm 35 and didn't see Jack play in his prime.

I really hope you're right!

I really hope you're right!

I think Tiger said it best during an interview before his first event when asked about catching Jack. Can't remember it word for word but he said something along the lines of even if he never wins another major he's one of a few that has double digits.

I'm just glad I got to witness Tiger I'm his prime.

I think Tiger said it best during an interview before his first event when asked about catching Jack. Can't remember it word for word but he said something along the lines of even if he never wins another major he's one of a few that has double digits.

I'm just glad I got to witness Tiger I'm his prime.
I don't recall that, but if that's what he said, that's really sad for a guy whose sole purpose in golf was to beat Jack's record. Didn't he also say that a season was not successful if he didn't win a major, but he considered last season successful even though he didn't win a major.

I don't like him, but I think he'll win another major (or even multiples) sometime, but I think Jack's record is pretty safe.

I don't recall that, but if that's what he said, that's really sad for a guy whose sole purpose in golf was to beat Jack's record. Didn't he also say that a season was not successful if he didn't win a major, but he considered last season successful even though he didn't win a major.

I don't like him, but I think he'll win another major (or even multiples) sometime, but I think Jack's record is pretty safe.

I went back and watched the interview again and he didn't say that if he never wins another it won't matter. But he did say the reason 18 is important is championships are how careers are measured in golf and tennis. He also said that winning majors is tough and that's why there are only 3 players to have won more than 10.

I think I mixed perception and fact in my last post. My mistake.

http://youtu.be/-wTIH-SC3JU

Back