My Quest to Break 80

I've read the book "Impact Zone" and when I go astray I read back through it. It has had a great impact (ha, ha) on my game since I got it. I have played reasonably well for a few years but the concepts of this book have help me overcome my main miss, the big hook.

Good luck and focus on the fundamentals!

I've read the book "Impact Zone" and when I go astray I read back through it. It has had a great impact (ha, ha) on my game since I got it. I have played reasonably well for a few years but the concepts of this book have help me overcome my main miss, the big hook.

Good luck and focus on the fundamentals!
The same book has helped me a lot as well. Having to learn something completely new hasn't been easy, but the results have been good. I need to be patient, and trust my swing. I "practice" my grip, alignment, stance, and posture. :)

I just went back and reread some of the posts I've missed in your process. Sounds like your very close. Your game and goals are very similar to where I am. I was lucky enough to break 80 twice last year, but this short season keeps me hanging right at the 82 to 85 mark. Good luck on the headway and don't sweat the bad day's. Everyone gets those too.

just seeing this thread now, best of luck with your goal, id say you will have it within 2 months :)

just seeing this thread now, best of luck with your goal, id say you will have it within 2 months :)
You're very kind. :)

Today I shot an 86 today...seven penalty strokes didn't help. I've got another lesson on Monday. I really need to straighten out those tee shots. :)

I just went back and reread some of the posts I've missed in your process. Sounds like your very close. Your game and goals are very similar to where I am. I was lucky enough to break 80 twice last year, but this short season keeps me hanging right at the 82 to 85 mark. Good luck on the headway and don't sweat the bad day's. Everyone gets those too.
Thanks Due. It sounds like you are already in mid-season form!

It's my tee shots that have been doing me in...too many shots OB or in a hazard. The fairways on my home course are extremely narrow. Basically the holes have a fairway and then OB or a hazard...hardly any rough at all. I average about 7 to 8 penalty strokes a round. I could tee off with a fairway wood, but then I'd have to lay up on my second shots.

Sean,

Which would be better, to layup and try to get up n down or to hit driver and take a penalty that may be stroke and distance. Stroke and distance is effectively a 2 stroke penalty.

Just something to think about.

So you liked Impact Zone? I've read parts of it over the last few yars but never really sat down with it and worked on it long term. Might help my game if I did.

GL with the lesson and I can't wait to read about that round of 77.

Last edited:
I only hit driver when necessary. If I can't get to a par five in two I will tee off with a 5-wood, and I'll use the same club on short par 4's. But, I will continue to use the driver as I have to learn how to hit it.

I had my second lesson of the season yesterday and the pro was very happy with my grip, stance, set-up, take away, and transition. I had three issues we worked on. First, I was playing the ball in the middle of my stance and he had me move the ball up a little bit, second, my club face was a bit closed at set-up, and third, he'd like to see a bit more extension through impact. Correcting all three worked wonders...at least on the range. I hope to play this weekend and see how it works on the course.

He also said I'm too hard in myself, and am a better player than I give myself credit for. He wants me to work on that as well.

Last edited:
I only hit driver when necessary. If I can't get to a par five in two I will tee off with a 5-wood, and I'll use the same club on short par 4's. But, I will continue to use the driver as I have to learn how to hit it.

I had my second lesson of the season yesterday and the pro was very happy with my grip, stance, set-up, take away, and transition. I had three issues we worked on. First, I was playing the ball in the standard placement and he had me move the ball up a little bit, second, my club face was a bit closed at set-up, and third, he'd like to see a bit more extension through impact. Correcting all three worked wonders...at least on the range. I hope to play this weekend and see how it works on the course.

He also said I'm too hard in myself, and am a better player than I give myself credit for. He wants me to work on that as well.

I'm torn if I should bite the bullet and try to play driver. I've been missing left w/ everything but on the range the driver is still a monster slice machine. I don't think I'm ready for it yet, so I'll be curious about how it works out for you.

My advice on the lesson is to work on it as much as you can on the range. I know I shouldn't really advise anything, you're much better then I.

I also know what you mean about being too hard on yourself. I broke through that phase( I think) last year. I'd get so mad and frustrated when I played like crap when I know I could do better. It killed my rounds, one bad hole and I was in the crapper.

What I have been doing is as much positive self talk on the course as possible. I 'praise' myself for my good shots and when I screw the pooch, I try to put some positive spin on it. Normally that positive spin is " I should not have done that; I know better now and just need to move on".

I really look forward to reading about you breaking your goal. The only thing better would be if I get to play with you at the NE THP outing and get to see it in person.

Advise away. :)

It's funny, I know I can hit the ball the way I'm supposed to because I have done it. It's that six-inches between the ears that gets in the way. I'm more consistent on the range (who isn't?), and need to take the "range" game to the course. On the range I always have a target, I create my own fairways (as ranges are so wide), and I occasionally play the course on the range. All this makes my practice more interesting, I focus more, and I'm just not out there pounding balls.

I'll let you know what happens this weekend. :)

Nice clubs by the way!

Sean -- You have a good attitude as I have witnessed from several of your posts. You keep that attitude and your goal will be reached and surpassed! You got the real stuff going for ya :eek:)

Sean -- You have a good attitude as I have witnessed from several of your posts. You keep that attitude and your goal will be reached and surpassed! You got the real stuff going for ya :eek:)
Thanks very much Gray...that is very kind of you. :)

I had my second lesson of the season yesterday and the pro was very happy with my grip, stance, set-up, take away, and transition. I had three issues we worked on. First, I was playing the ball in the middle of my stance and he had me move the ball up a little bit, second, my club face was a bit closed at set-up, and third, he'd like to see a bit more extension through impact. Correcting all three worked wonders...at least on the range. I hope to play this weekend and see how it works on the course.

I hope your range game shows up at the course. Nice to see that your pro is happy with some stuff you are doing too.

Good luck with the quest. I am also chasing the elusive sub 80 score.

As others have stated, 80 is a tough nut to crack. Eliminate the blow up hole(s) and playing smart is the way to do it. Playing safe is a always a good bet, it may not win you many fans, but it will win you the money in the clubhouse. And Aiming for the middle of greens is also a way to go about this. (not for me as I can NOT putt) I also find having a consistent "miss" is a must have. Knowing where you tend to miss, and planning for that is helpful

Think that's where I fail. Let the doubles or 3 putt get to me and it affects the rest of the round. That 6" between your ears is crucial to breaking 80. My playing bud always knows I will self destruct if I string together 4-5 pars......and of course he's spot on. Just need to control those thoughts and concentrate on the next shot. Bit of self belief helps as well..

Sounds like your very close to breaking 80 Sean......

As others have stated, 80 is a tough nut to crack. Eliminate the blow up hole(s) and playing smart is the way to do it. Playing safe is a always a good bet, it may not win you many fans, but it will win you the money in the clubhouse. And Aiming for the middle of greens is also a way to go about this. (not for me as I can NOT putt) I also find having a consistent "miss" is a must have. Knowing where you tend to miss, and planning for that is helpful

I work hard on course management and keep my ego at home. I don't have the game yet to try any heroics. :)

Think that's where I fail. Let the doubles or 3 putt get to me and it affects the rest of the round. That 6" between your ears is crucial to breaking 80. My playing bud always knows I will self destruct if I string together 4-5 pars......and of course he's spot on. Just need to control those thoughts and concentrate on the next shot. Bit of self belief helps as well..

Sounds like your very close to breaking 80 Sean......
Thanks RM. I agree, those 6-inches are crucial in breaking 80.

Any updates Sean?

i hope u brake 80.

See, I could go sub 40 on 9 WAY easier than I could go sub 80 on 18. Good luck on your quest!

Back