Which balls should I try?

kcfromva

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been hearing a lot about the bridgestone e5 ball and it is very intriguing. I am a low ball hitter but usually get good roll out to about 260 or so. But with the wet weather now I am loosing a lot of distance. The e5 seems to fit and I am going to buy a sleeve but just wondering what other balls are out there for low ball hitters that I can compare with it? I have been fitted for my clubs but for some reason I never thought about ball fitting. :banghead:
Thanks for any info
Keith

Keith - There are quite a few threads with ball reviews - I know there's an E6 review and reviews on the Penta. Not sure what else.

I have been hearing a lot about the bridgestone e5 ball and it is very intriguing. I am a low ball hitter but usually get good roll out to about 260 or so. But with the wet weather now I am loosing a lot of distance. The e5 seems to fit and I am going to buy a sleeve but just wondering what other balls are out there for low ball hitters that I can compare with it? I have been fitted for my clubs but for some reason I never thought about ball fitting. :banghead:
Thanks for any info
Keith

haha, well rocky mountain oysters are good....

I really like the b330 alot

The E5+ is a high launching ball. You might think about getting a driver for the cold wet days. The fastest and easiest way to hit the ball higher is through more loft pure and simple. I live in Oregon and it is pretty wet here in the winter. I use a 12* driver to carry the ball farther during the winter months. A different shaft or ball will help to some degree but the surest way to hit it higher (other than changing your angle of attack) if through loft in the driver head. Hope this helps to some degree.

The fastest and easiest way to hit the ball higher is through more loft pure and simple.

I actually disagree with that. While adding a degree or two of loft will make the ball go slightly higher, a shaft change will dramatically increase or decrease loft and can be a far easier fix.

It is my understanding that loft will only change by about one degree or less with a shaft change for most people. Especially if you have a slow swing speed. Loft can change your launch angle by as much as 3-4 degrees depending on how much you add to your driver head. IE if you are playing a 9* head changing to a 13* head will give at least 3* increase or more. This is a given and has been proven my some of the best clubmakers in the world through launch monitors. This is no way a shaft can give you that much increase in launch angle for most anyone. Yet a change in loft in the head will increase launch angle much easier.

I am not an expert in this area but have interfaced (through the internet) with some of the best in the business in clubfitting and clubbuilding and to a person they feel this is the easiest way to increase loft. If you follow long drive tournaments at all you can see the guys and gals each carry a half dozen or more drivers ranging from 5* to 8* in loft. This is to assist in carrying to ball farther or hitting it lower and getting more run. If you could do this with a shaft change they would all be hitting 5* heads and changing shafts only. They may have a different shaft in some to tweek the launch angle but the best way for them to achieve this is through loft in the head. I would like to see a shaft that will change someones launch angle by 3-4* for the normal person. I know that shafts have changed tremendously over the years but I do not believe they have gone this far in their development. Just my honest opinion.

Last edited:
Im not sure. I can put in a low launch shaft like my Miyazaki Black and then a high launch shaft and see a HUGE difference compared to changing from a 9 degree driver to a 10.5. I will put them on the monitor this week as we have all the stuff to try it out. But to the eye, it is night and day in my R9 head comparing shafts to just a degree or 2 change.

haha, well rocky mountain oysters are good....

I really like the b330 alot

No they are not!! Esp. when you're expecting actual oysters from the sea...

Back