It's just a game or is it?

It's just a game or is it?

• Total voters

Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
I have heard so many people say, don't worry, it's just a game. If you are completely honest, are you competive or just playing for fun? Does it frustate you when you are not playing at the level you know you can compete? I admire people and aspire to be like them, when they can play against the golf course and totally be unaware of what others around them are doing. When I get in my "zone", I can do this however my zone does not come along often enough. I have to be careful and try not to keep up with the Jones on the golf course :eek:).. They honestly could care less what they shoot as it's just a game :O)............

I'm a competitve person, esp. when the BF and I are doing something together, like golf!! I beat him by 3 strokes yesterday, :clapp: but this is only the 2nd time I've beaten him :(

I get easily frustrated as well, esp. on bad shots and I just have to take a deep breath and not let that affect my other shots. Esp. on my tee shots, if I hit it out of the fairway, my next shot needs to be decent enough to get an up and down!! I had several of them yesterday as well!!

As much as I like to be competitive and I beat up on myself more than anyone regarding my golf game, I always remind myself that it's just a game. Not that I will not take it seriously as well. There's always good fun amongst friends but I'd be the first to tell you that I would like to beat them as well.

it's just for fun now, I don't play enough to take things that seriously (maybe 2 times a month at the very most)

I just enjoy my time outdoors, and have as much fun shooting 100 as I have when I shoot 80

Would a rational person spend this much money on "A Game"? Hell no!

Its competitive for me. I do take it seriously and do get frustrated when I don't score good.

Although I want to do well and make some great shots out there, in the end it's just a game. I'm never going to get rich or win a lot of trophies playing this game so I'm not going to beat myself up over the little things. That said, I'd love to shoot in the 80s all the time!

golf to me is soooo much more than just a game...

now if you asked me what it is that i consider fun... then it would be a diff story... lolz...
but im normally really non competitive on a personal level... unless im competing with myself or my brothers...
i just love sports that i can do by myself or with a bunch of ppl... surfing/snowboarding/golf... etc...
i always aspire to be the best that i can be in whatever i do regardless if im not lighting it up like tiger or charging waimea on giant days...

to me its the challenge thats fun... and i take my fun seriously... lol

Yes and no? It IS after all a game, but when I'm in a tournament then it is definitely more important than when it's just a casual round, and I take it more seriously. So I have no answer for the poll question. :confused2:

I answered "no" as well. I've never practiced so hard on just a "game". :)

I've never cared, spent, talked about, or practiced so much for it to be just a 'game'

Although I want to do well and make some great shots out there, in the end it's just a game. I'm never going to get rich or win a lot of trophies playing this game so I'm not going to beat myself up over the little things. That said, I'd love to shoot in the 80s all the time!

Same here, it's just a game that I enjoy but not going to get all worked up about it.

It is human nature to want/expect to get better at something when played multiple times.
Can anyone tell me one thing (besides strict games of chance) that they dont really want and or expect to get better after playing multiple times??

I can not....From chess to soccer to golf to ultimate....I want to do better each time....

I have a friend who is the most patient person I have ever met in my life...bar none..He is the most laid back individual at everything...almost including golf...
He plays once every 3 weeks.... After his 3rd fat shot, I see him gritting his teeth and cursing....

This from the guy who would give you a dollar for a coke after you beat him up for his lunch...

Simply an amazing game....I think the reason it is such a fanatical sport is that we cant solve it...

Too many variables...too little time....

bama

I play for the fun of it. I love to have a good score but it really don't matter if I don't have a good scoring day. Just being out by myself or with some golfing buddies, I enjoy playing. I got to admit though, I really like to beat my buddies but I don't get upset if I don't. I use to be real competitive when I was younger playing softball or basketball but the older I got the less it mattered.

I don't care to play poorly. I don't expect everyone I play with to take it as seriously, but I like to score. It wasn't that long ago Ii took two summers off because I could not get the ball in the hole. Went fishing instead. I shot the same damn score within a shot or two, and it just became too much. It worked, too, the last two seasons I putted much better, and my handicap is lower than it's been in over 20 years. But i was pretty pissed off for a season or two.

Kevin

Those are my thoughts as well. I am just happy to be out there. Of course I get mad when I make a lot of bad shots but it's that one great shot that makes the entire round a success for me.

Those are my thoughts as well. I am just happy to be out there. Of course I get mad when I make a lot of bad shots but it's that one great shot that makes the entire round a success for me.

that's exactly what keeps me coming back for more after a bad round......I'll shoot 220 but I'll remember the shot I stuck within a foot of the pin and try to build on that

that's exactly what keeps me coming back for more after a bad round......I'll shoot 220 but I'll remember the shot I stuck within a foot of the pin and try to build on that

same here! When we played this weekend I was having the worst control and speed problems with my putter and I was starting to get frustrated. But then I hit a shot that literally made me jump up and down it was so good. I hit my second shot on a par 5 and it landed at the bottom of a hill practically in the woods and I could barely even see over the hill but I had a general idea of where the pin was. so I took my third shot and nailed it. I was about 5 feet from the pin and everyone kept asking whose shot that was because they couldn't beleive I could do that. I still don't know how it happened but it didn't matter because it was awesome and I was so excited I smiled through the next three holes.

I voted that it wasn't just a game to me. I don't spend 50% of my waking hours thinking about games. I would call it a passion. It can be the most frustrating thing in the world at times, but I continue to see small glimmers of improvement that keep me focused.

To me, golf is just a game. For it to be more than a game for myself it would have to be my job/career. All games should have a constant challenge or I would lose interest. If I didn't duff a shot or bend it in the opposite direction intended, I wouldn't have anything to work on.

I can see where others take golf as more than just a game though. They probably have a similar outlook as Bob Hope: "Golf is my profession. Show business is just to pay the green fees."

Golf is just a game. That doesn't mean I don't take it seriously. I have dropped F bombs on the course. I get frustrated when I really hack things up. I spend hours reading about it online and in books.

Anything people play is just a game unless they are making a living at it, whether it be golf, poker, football, etc. Some people just get waaaaaay too serious about the games they play, regardless of what the game may be. You know there are people that pout when they lose at Monopoly......

Would a rational person spend this much money on "A Game"? Hell no!

Or as much on clothes as well :wink:

I may not play well, but I dress well on the course, it makes up for it!! WHOOOO My new tag line :D

I don't know what I think about it.I strive to get better at it but if it's not happening I don't despair.It's a way for me to get out with friends and waste an afternoon,evening or morning.To me it's just relaxation and a time to put away other worries..

Back