Question regarding tee times

And they pair people up together to get the most people on the course as they can for more money, and not really caring if the players are backed up or anything? That's just not right!

If you request to just not be paired up with anyone, so it can just be the 2 of us, will they honor that? We actually asked them if we could go out on our own, the starter said SURE, but then we ended up with a group of 3 :confused2:

I usually make mental notes of these 5some courses and dont go back. I must say, 4 hours for 12 holes in this area is pretty normal around here on a weekend.

I usually make mental notes of these 5some courses and dont go back. I must say, 4 hours for 12 holes in this area is pretty normal around here on a weekend.

The day before it was nice. We played 18 holes and finished up in 2.5 hours :D (granted, it was a Par 3, smack dab in the middle of the day and in the hottest part of the day too). But there was NO ONE around :clapp: We met a group of 4 who let us play through, that was nice of them :)

And they pair people up together to get the most people on the course as they can for more money, and not really caring if the players are backed up or anything? That's just not right!

If you request to just not be paired up with anyone, so it can just be the 2 of us, will they honor that? We actually asked them if we could go out on our own, the starter said SURE, but then we ended up with a group of 3 :confused2:

Most courses will not allow you to go as a twosome if there are other players wanting to play. My home course fills groups to 4 whenever possible. The only way a party can go out for less is if they pay the additional fees. You can guarantee going out as just a twosome, but you would have to pay for 4. When I'm working, I will try to honor such requests, but I warn the players that I can't make any promises. :confused2:

No they don't. :nono: Not trying to derail this topic, but that is an uneducated comment. Carts have absolutely nothing to do with slow play (when properly employed, it's just the opposite). Nor does walking, or skill level, or gender, or age. Get that out of your head right now. Slow players cause slow play, and they can come from every demographic. I work as a starter and I've been playing for 35 years, so I've pretty much seen it all. There is no specific group or type of play that causes slow play. It's exclusively caused by inattention or ignorance.

Now back to our regularly scheduled debate!

sorry for being uneducated:act-up:

carts are rarely "properly employed", which is exactly why they cause issues, especially when you are dealing with parking 3 on each hole vs two for a standard foursome.

yup, the course gets paid the second you hit that first tee, so for many courses after you're tee'd off on the first they're not concerned with the quality of your experience anymore, they're just concerned with flushing as many people off that 1st tee as possible

sometimes smaller or par3 executive courses will let you out as smaller groups even if the place is pretty busy, not a great business decision in terms of income, but certainly a good decision in terms of letting people who may not be comfortable playing with strangers have a good golfing experience.

i work at a private club that allows reciprocals.

we allow fivesomes in certain situations. it's not published knowledge but the groups who are allowed know who they are. some people get it....some people don't. it doesn't matter whether you are a walker or a rider. cart path only conditions tend to slow play.....but it is not always the carts exclusively. slow golf comes in all shapes, sizes, gender, etc.

it's the courses job to manage play appropriately.....public or private.

my personal experience....

i've played in a walking 5-some that waited on every shot....behind a 2-some in a cart.

:shoulder shrug:

i work at a private club that allows reciprocals.

we allow fivesomes in certain situations. it's not published knowledge but the groups who are allowed know who they are. some people get it....some people don't. it doesn't matter whether you are a walker or a rider. cart path only conditions tend to slow play.....but it is not always the carts exclusively. slow golf comes in all shapes, sizes, gender, etc.

it's the courses job to manage play appropriately.....public or private.

my personal experience....

i've played in a walking 5-some that waited on every shot....behind a 2-some in a cart.

:shoulder shrug:

Private clubs manage the 5 somes way better. The ones I play at usually keep a few times clear behind them.

Re: Question regarding tee times

TheGasman said:
Private clubs manage the 5 somes way better. The ones I play at usually keep a few times clear behind them.

we know the pace of our members and schedule accordingly.

our members push for online tee times!?!? hah!!! not a chance. we need to control the environment to keep it smooth. there are busy Saturdays where 3 fivesomea in a row lead the pack. and an hour into the times, no one would ever know.

our members push for online tee times!?!? hah!!! not a chance. we need to control the environment to keep it smooth. there are busy Saturdays where 3 fivesomea in a row lead the pack. and an hour into the times, no one would ever know.

Exactly. One of the guys I play with is the slow guy at the club and they seem to adjust accordingly. Thats the beauty of being a member of a private course.
I stay away from the publics that allow them.

our members push for online tee times!?!? hah!!! not a chance. we need to control the environment to keep it smooth. there are busy Saturdays where 3 fivesomes in a row lead the pack. and an hour into the times, no one would ever know.

Even as a public course we have a similar situation. We have some regulars who play either daily or weekly at about the same time. A couple of those groups are fast, and since they are playing before 8AM on weekdays, we don't restrict them to just 4. One group of septuagenarians walks and can still finish 18 holes in under 4 hours playing as a fivesome. Once in a while we have to collect the roadkill after they trample a threesome ahead of them into the dirt. :laughing:

There are some players who we will not let out in groups larger than 4 regardless of their wants. Some players have shown themselves unable to maintain a good pace even in a group of less than 4, so no way they're getting out as a fivesome. As a starter I can sometimes make that call myself. On the rare occasion that an unfamiliar group of 5 is sent out (we don't publicize the fact that we do sometimes send out 5's), I immediately call the course assistant and make sure he is aware that he has a group which needs to be watched.

My first rule: Don't ever play in a course that lets 5-somes out.

I used to play with the first group out. We used to finish 18-holes in 3 or 3:15 hrs. The Marshall would keep in eye on the group behind us to make sure they could keep up with us. By having the first two groups finish at that pace, it would make the the rest of the groups during the day finish with a 4:00 hr pace.

And the greens were still seeded, so it wasn't a very pleasant golfing day at the course yesterday :(

Lesson learned, never again play a course where they just pack people on the tees!

You should call the course and let them know of your disatisfaction with their performance. If they just blow you off make sure to let them know that you will make others aware of their obvious lack of concern of customer satisfaction. Only once has a course attempted to put me in a five person group. I walked back in the Pro Shop asked to see the manager, told him of the issue and he apolgized and gave me a rain check for 18 plus my fees for the day returned. I still play there but if they hadn't taken care of the problem I never would have returned.

HA!! I just got an e-mail from them with $10 tee times, no thanks!! :angry:

HA!! I just got an e-mail from them with $10 tee times, no thanks!! :angry:

well the amount of money paid per amount of time on the course just gets lower and lower, what a value:joy::joy::joy::waiting:

Did you already complain to them?

Not yet, it was just coincidence. Complaining is the BF's job :) he gets his point across better than I do.

The group ahead of us yesterday that was 3 holes behind before we hit the back nine...

I swear they slowed down once they looked back and saw we were waiting on the tee. I know for sure that one of them (the guy in the black shorts who couldn't putt) slowed his pace off the green every time he looked back and saw us. I seriously thought about putting a golf shoe in a very appropriate place, but I am trying to turn over a new leaf. My goal is not to kill anyone else on the course for slow play this year. I'm already a quarter of the way home.

almost 99% of the courses around me will not allow a 5 some under any circumstances. of course they are all public courses

I swear they slowed down once they looked back and saw we were waiting on the tee. I know for sure that one of them (the guy in the black shorts who couldn't putt) slowed his pace off the green every time he looked back and saw us.

you have more restraint than i do my good man.

they should be looking forward not back.. :at-wits-end:

on topic though, my club does allow 5 balls. got stuck 3 groups behind a 5 ball on saturday. the group in front walked off, and the other group were ready for killing someone...especially when the 5 ball stopped on the 18th green to take pictures..:banghead:

Back