Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the Marlins proved what the MLB is about. Not just once, but twice bought a World Series and then sold the team off months later.

I was saying the teams that I mentioned enjoyed some success over the past decade. Not for the ENTIRE decade, but just at times.

"Hey, the best player in the league is on another team. No fair! He must be wearing pin stripes! We better either buy him soon or trade for him!"

Sound familiar Yankee fans?

Oh so Puljos will be on the Yankees this year too? Alright!!! we needed a DH and I was not so fond of Nick Johnson being able to stay healthy all season. Maybe we should go get Ryan Howard as well and they can form a nice right/left combo for the position.

C'mon, quit crying!!!! :go-away:

Won't make the playoffs again? The Twins won 6 division titles from 2000-2009.

I wouldn't say that's just too terribly bad.

How can anyone like the Yankees? I don't get it. They buy whoever they want. Their roster is an all star squad.

I love baseball, but that kind of crap is what's wrong w/ baseball. How is Toronto, or Baltimore supposed to be contend w/ that in that division? Being a fan of those teams is like rooting for the Generals instead of the Globe Trotters.

What's the point?

Oh, and Nathan was the Yankees' best player in the ALDS last year. However, without Nathan, the Twins can't win?

I think not.

I am a Yankees fan and when I say fan, I mean fan like I stood by them through the Steve Sax, Steve Balboni filled 80's. That strategy has backfired on them a number of times (see the mid to late 80's). Yes they have the payroll power but it also comes with shrewd decisions on what to pay for and what to sacrifice. Remember, they dole out more in revenue sharing than any team in baseball and they don't blink. You can't blame the owner for investing back in his team rather than pocketing the profits (see Peter Angelos).

Here's an example... their best years were in the mid to late 90's and those were anchored by homegrown talent, not FA's. Yes, I do believe the system needs to be fixed but don't pout that the Yankees are always winning because they can spend more than any other team. Last time I checked the Mets, Red Sox, Angels, Cubs, Tigers and Phillies have over $100 million payrolls too and you don't see people saying, "I hate the Tigers because they can outspend a lot of teams which equals wins.".

Don't hate the player, hate the game. And to answer who can contend in that division... ask the Rays.

I am a Yankees fan and when I say fan, I mean fan like I stood by them through the Steve Sax, Steve Balboni filled 80's. That strategy has backfired on them a number of times (see the mid to late 80's). Yes they have the payroll power but it also comes with shrewd decisions on what to pay for and what to sacrifice. Remember, they dole out more in revenue sharing than any team in baseball and they don't blink. You can't blame the owner for investing back in his team rather than pocketing the profits (see Peter Angelos).

Here's an example... their best years were in the mid to late 90's and those were anchored by homegrown talent, not FA's. Yes, I do believe the system needs to be fixed but don't pout that the Yankees are always winning because they can spend more than any other team. Last time I checked the Mets, Red Sox, Angels, Cubs, Tigers and Phillies have over $100 million payrolls too and you don't see people saying, "I hate the Tigers because they can outspend a lot of teams which equals wins.".

Don't hate the player, hate the game. And to answer who can contend in that division... ask the Rays.

:clapp:

Oh so Puljos will be on the Yankees this year too? Alright!!! we needed a DH and I was not so fond of Nick Johnson being able to stay healthy all season. Maybe we should go get Ryan Howard as well and they can form a nice right/left combo for the position.

C'mon, quit crying!!!! :go-away:

haha. It's not far from reality.

Yankees had over 200 million in pay roll last season. This season it's probably more.

Don't talk about teams w/ HALF of the 200 million plus that the Yankees have and think you're making a point.

Because you're not.

The Rays did for ONE season and have lost a few from that team already. The difference between the big market and small market is that when you make a mistake and are the Yankees or Sox, it means nothing. When a smaller team does, it sets them back for the entire contract.

The Rays did for ONE season and have lost a few from that team already. The difference between the big market and small market is that when you make a mistake and are the Yankees or Sox, it means nothing. When a smaller team does, it sets them back for the entire contract.

JB,

Fans like Spank and myself agree with you somewhat, it is tough for the smaller market teams to compete. But dont just stand up and sound off like a boob and say it is all he Yankees fault and the Yankees are ruining baseball. That is totally absurd and when I hear people saying that I pity them because they are so short sighted and really dont have a clue about what they are speaking of. The Yankeesare playing within the rules of the game in which they are part of and they can be asked to do no more or less than that. The system as a whole needs to be changed and until someone breaks the union's power and gets things going in the right direction it will always be the haves versus the have nots.

Yankees had over 200 million in pay roll last season. This season it's probably more.

Don't talk about teams w/ HALF of the 200 million plus that the Yankees have and think you're making a point.

Because you're not.

Actually I think I am making a point. The point is people hate the Yankees for what they are. A media machine that is an international brand that can outspend any team in baseball because a) they make more money than any other team and b) they have an owner that is willing to spend more than any other owner in the league. Tell me that is wrong and I will not say another word.

Your point however: "How can anyone like the Yankees? I don't get it. They buy whoever they want." has zero merit and you know it. Here's the scoop from a "fan of the Evil Empire"... we don't mind being the bad guys, we know were not going to win all the time, and we know that our owner will do and spend whatever it takes to win. I love the Yankees not because they have the largest payroll and they can sign the earth. I love them because in the mid 80's my father took me to my first baseball game and it was in Yankee Stadium. In fact it was against the Royals when they were a whole lot better than the Yankees and, in fact, the Yankees lost that game. I cheer for them because I grew up with them just as I'm sure you're a Twins fan because you grew up with them as well. And for you to make a comment like you did insults the game, our fans, me and worst of all my father.

You are 100% on the ball, JB. It makes scouting even more important in this day and age. Yes the higher payroll teams can recover quicker but I think also what to look at is the seasoning these players have to endure to become world class talent. The larger payroll teams are almost using the small market teams as a minor league and then signing them to the big $'s when their contracts run out. That's an issue for MLB to look at is the agents are very adept to signing their top tier prospect at a certain number of years to either a) cut their losses if they player falters or becomes injured or b) becomes an extraordinary talent that the next contract they will negotiate will be for mega bucks.

Signings like Pavano, Giambi, and a few others would have crippled almost every other team in baseball except the Yankees, and a handfull of others. You are right, it is in the rules, but that does not mean baseball fans have to like it outside of the larger markets.

JB,

Fans like Spank and myself agree with you somewhat, it is tough for the smaller market teams to compete. But dont just stand up and sound off like a boob and say it is all he Yankees fault and the Yankees are ruining baseball. That is totally absurd and when I hear people saying that I pity them because they are so short sighted and really dont have a clue about what they are speaking of. The Yankeesare playing within the rules of the game in which they are part of and they can be asked to do no more or less than that. The system as a whole needs to be changed and until someone breaks the union's power and gets things going in the right direction it will always be the haves versus the have nots.

+1

And the ignorance of some lead others to believe that the Yankees are the only "haves" when there are certainly more "haves" in MLB other than the Yankees. We just take the brunt of it since we're the lightning rod of MLB. Almost like the Cowboys and the Lakers in their respective sports as well.

+1

And the ignorance of some lead others to believe that the Yankees are the only "haves" when there are certainly more "haves" in MLB other than the Yankees. We just take the brunt of it since we're the lightning rod of MLB. Almost like the Cowboys and the Lakers in their respective sports as well.

Those teams all spend the same as everybody else though. And dont tell me there are other "haves" like the Yankees. Other teams spend, but nothing is even close to what they spend.

Those teams all spend the same as everybody else though. And dont tell me there are other "haves" like the Yankees. Other teams spend, but nothing is even close to what they spend.

They spend as much as the others because of the rules of their respective sports that keep a salary cap in place for football and b-ball

They spend as much as the others because of the rules of their respective sports that keep a salary cap in place for football and b-ball

I dont disagree with that. But I also dont have to think it is fair or like it.

Yes, we all know that the Yankees spend ton of money. That is a given. Does being the top spender equate to being the only "have"? Because if that's the case then yes the Yankees are the only "have". Last I checked the Mets share the same market and LA with it's largest TV market share 2 teams as well that are in my book included in the "have" category. Throw in the Cubbies, the Red Sox, and the Phillies in there as well.

Spank,
So if that is teh case, you are basically saying what I have been for a while and that is that unless you have a big market and a huge TV revenue stream, you simply cannot compete long term.

JB is exactly right. Nobody is complaining that they are breaking the rules. Everyone understands that what they are doing is completely within the rules. The issue is that the rules need to be corrected, because without any major injuries, you can pretty much pencil in the Yankees and Red Sox into the playoffs at the beginning of April. Every once in a great while a team will make a surprising run like the Rays, but 9 out of 10 times the high pay rollers make it to the playoffs. All I want is for the playing field to be level, and with the current rules in place, that is really not possible.

Spank,
So if that is teh case, you are basically saying what I have been for a while and that is that unless you have a big market and a huge TV revenue stream, you simply cannot compete long term.

The argument was never there JB. I agree that smaller market teams can't compete long term (I believe the Braves were the last to do it with a sub $100 million payroll but that was due to smart business moves which other teams can do as well). What WR and I were saying is that don't just say it's solely the Yankees fault. There are other teams, I believe, that are part of the so called "haves" that belong there as well. I also stated that the Yankees are the lighting rod of MLB. Is that not true?

I'll go back to my original statement... Don't hate the player, hate the game.

JB is exactly right. Nobody is complaining that they are breaking the rules. Everyone understands that what they are doing is completely within the rules. The issue is that the rules need to be corrected, because without any major injuries, you can pretty much pencil in the Yankees and Red Sox into the playoffs at the beginning of April. Every once in a great while a team will make a surprising run like the Rays, but 9 out of 10 times the high pay rollers make it to the playoffs. All I want is for the playing field to be level, and with the current rules in place, that is really not possible.

+1...nice post cwill

JB I am not saying you need to .. I am saying put the anger where it belongs, the players and the agents and those that allow it to happen. The things the Yankees do are a result of this, just ike the fact I do not go to as many games as I used to simply cause I cant afford it any more. That is not the Yankees fault. That is all *I* am saying.

JB I am not saying you need to .. I am saying put the anger where it belongs, the players and the agents and those that allow it to happen. The things the Yankees do are a result of this, just ike the fact I do not go to as many games as I used to simply cause I cant afford it any more. That is not the Yankees fault. That is all *I* am saying.

let's not leave ownership out of this either....

+1...nice post cwill

Maybe if the fans of other teams would voice their opinions to their local teams maybe something will be done.

Lets not kid ourselves about all of this though. If Darth Vader, I mean George S, stood up and said, I think salary cap is a good idea, it would be done within a week.

Lets not kid ourselves about all of this though. If Darth Vader, I mean George S, stood up and said, I think salary cap is a good idea, it would be done within a week.

Well the ole boss is out of the picture.. has been for a couple of years but I understand your point. So by your statement you think baseball wants the Yankees to have the advantage you state they have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back