Happy St. Patrick's Day

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
Today's the day everybody gets to be Irish. If you're already drunk, you're truly Irish or on your way to a long day. Try a Guinness, the finest beer ever brewed. Have a Harp if you find the Guinness a bit too stout. Do not drink green American beer. For the inexperienced with a hankering for Irish Whiskey, I suggest Tullamore Dew with a couple ice cubes. Very smooth. Have a potato or two for ballast, eat a salmon, catch a pike, watch a hurling match, play golf, wear a wool sweater, go to mass, make a baby, grab a leprechaun. All these activities can make you a little more Irish, and the last can make you rich.

It's best not to juggle the Waterford Crystal or Beleek China on St. Patrick's Day.

Ireland is the country that gave us William Butler Yeats, James Joyce, Peter O'Toole, Richard Harris, Van Morrison, that Bono guy, and the Monks that saved civilization, just to name a few. So when you're hammered today, be creative; sing a song, recite a poem, do some acting, write a love letter, fall down and piss yourself, beat a snake with a stick, punch an Englishman, kiss a redhead named Kathleen, laugh your ass off, and get in a good argument.

The truly Irish should only argue amongst themselves, as no one else is a worthy opponent.

Most of all, enjoy yourself. The Irish do every day.

Do not drink and drive, in Ireland, it's almost a capitol offense.

Kevin

Guinness for strength

Well said Kevin!

I'll be celebrating this evening around Notre Dame with some Irish souls for sure! I'll try to knock off a few items on your to do list (minus the baby making).

I shall be playing golf this afternoon, and finishing the evening off with too many Guinness beers! Maybe get in an arguement or two as well! And yes, I am Irish! :D

Happy St. Patty's Day!

In honor of St. Patty's Day, we're having bagels and lox at work and I, too, and wearing green :D and probably will have cornbeef and hash for dinner :clapp:

So..who didn't wear green today?

I didn't. Never knew it was St.Patricks day.

I'm in green - green shirt, green sweater and green eyes.

I didn't. I never dress for holidays (green on St Patty's, red on Valentine's, etc) I like to be different

Spoiler
bah humbug lol

Kevin, that was a great post! I'm not even the least bit Irish but I felt like doing all of those things just today! I've done the whole take the day off and go to the bar around 7 am bit before (ok, a couple times...FINE, a few, who's counting?) but not anymore. Once the little ones come around it becomes more and more difficult to skip work, get drunk and ride around in the back of a U-Haul all day long. Sure was fun though!

Oh and I am not wearing green today either. :arrogant:

I thought I'd share a few misconceptions about St. Paddy's Day with ya'll. These are things I've learned from family members and a little research of my own over the years. Anyone is more than free to correct me if I am wrong.

Wearing green
The original color associated with St. Patrick was blue. The wearing of green actually meant to wear a shamrock (3 leaf clover) since St. Patrick used the shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity to the pre-Christian Irish folks.

St. Patrick banished the snakes from the island
Post-glacial Ireland was not believed to have snakes. It is then interpreted that the snakes refer to the Druids of the area. His introduction of the Christian beliefs gained enough support to suppress the Druid culture.

Corned beef and cabbage
This is actually an Irish-American dish. The traditional dish was pork (bacon or ham) and cabbage. The Irish immigrants found the price of beef and salt was less expensive in the US and more accessible than their typical cuts of pork.

Why we get pinched for not wearing green

Why we get pinched for not wearing green

It's thought that the pinching started in the early 1700s, about the time that awareness of St. Patrick's as a holiday came to the fore, too, in Boston, in the Massachusetts colony. They thought if you wore green, it made you invisible to the Leprechauns, which was good because they would pinch anyone they could see. So the pinching is to warn and remind you about the Leprechauns.

Lovely post, Kevin.

Okay, just for fun, identify the following and their significance to Irish history:

John Russell

Constance Markievicz

Jim Larkin

No Googling, now. I don't have prize packs to award but I can blow you a kiss.

As much as I love Guinness, I have to say Murphys makes a better stout. Plus you can drink it out of the can, which is classy.

Happy St. Pattys Day to all! :D

I am wearing green polo shirt, will be having cabbage and corned beef for lunch. Maybe a sip of green beer, maybe!

I thought I'd share a few misconceptions about St. Paddy's Day with ya'll. These are things I've learned from family members and a little research of my own over the years. Anyone is more than free to correct me if I am wrong.

Wearing green
The original color associated with St. Patrick was blue. The wearing of green actually meant to wear a shamrock (3 leaf clover) since St. Patrick used the shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity to the pre-Christian Irish folks.

St. Patrick banished the snakes from the island
Post-glacial Ireland was not believed to have snakes. It is then interpreted that the snakes refer to the Druids of the area. His introduction of the Christian beliefs gained enough support to suppress the Druid culture.

Corned beef and cabbage
This is actually an Irish-American dish. The traditional dish was pork (bacon or ham) and cabbage. The Irish immigrants found the price of beef and salt was less expensive in the US and more accessible than their typical cuts of pork.

Where's the fun in knowing all that? There were snakes. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Lovely post, Kevin.

Okay, just for fun, identify the following and their significance to Irish history:

John Russell

Constance Markievicz

Jim Larkin

No Googling, now. I don't have prize packs to award but I can blow you a kiss.

I was ignorant and had to use the Google.

Gasman, Murphy's? Really? I don't see it. You can drink Guinness from a can, and you're right, it is classy.

Kevin

Gasman, Murphy's? Really? I don't see it. You can drink Guinness from a can, and you're right, it is classy.

Kevin

Dont get me wrong Kevin, I still drink Guinness from the can and love every drop, I just like Murphys stout a smidgen better. Both are still Irish so im not hurting Irelands GDP.

My wife is Irish so I don't even think about arguing with her.

Also, she called earlier to tell me to find Corned Beef and Cabbage on the menu somewhere for dinner. She wants to go out.

Go raibh míle maith agaibh go léir!!!!!!!!!!. I had to get in on this and thank all our friends across the pond for thier contribution to the parade in our town today. As well as Irish dancing. Sean Nos dancing, loads of craic( irish for fun, not the other stuff) we also got the following; Line dancing, the only CHP motorbike in Ireland, a Pink Cadillac, and a Pink stretch Hummer. I have pix of the lot except the hummer coz the lens wasnt wide enough. Anyway we had great weather for once and their will be quie a few " tired and emotional " folks about tonight. Míle buíochas for being Irish today.

Dont know but the MC had a problem pronouncing Poncharello. Have the pic to prove it

Go raibh míle maith agaibh go léir!!!!!!!!!!. I had to get in on this and thank all our friends across the pond for thier contribution to the parade in our town today. As well as Irish dancing. Sean Nos dancing, loads of craic( irish for fun, not the other stuff) we also got the following; Line dancing, the only CHP motorbike in Ireland, a Pink Cadillac, and a Pink stretch Hummer. I have pix of the lot except the hummer coz the lens wasnt wide enough. Anyway we had great weather for once and their will be quie a few " tired and emotional " folks about tonight. Míle buíochas for being Irish today.

I was fortunate to play some golf and enjoy some craic while in Ireland in 1996. The best pre-kid eleven days of my life. I enjoyed the craic as much or more than the golf. And the singing. Everybody was always singing. My Wife and I weren't there more than 3 hours and an older man in a Ballybunion pub was singing revolution songs to us.

Very, very, very good times. I hope to return so my daughter can play some links golf within the next two years. Next summer ideally.

Kevin

Back