How do you mark your ball?

I got one of those ball marking tools. We call it hieroglyphics.

cropped680217.jpg

I fill the white-space of the golfball with a pattern that I like to call "dalmatian blue". The topflites I play now get 14 dots. There isn't a side of the golf-ball from which I cannot recognize the ball as mine........

ballmarkings.jpg

..... or so I thought: I played on labor day and hit one deep into the woods. I wasn't even going to look for it. I hit the provisional much straighter. One of the women in the group hung back, and called me back because she had found my first ball: I couldn't believe it! I couldn't hit from there though, and when I picked it up I saw that it was a Noodle! Not my ball, but marked exactly the same!

This is really funny. Crazy that someone would mark their ball the same why. This is a bit more involved than a couple of dots.

How do you mark your ball?

If this thread has been done, then let's rephrase it to "how will you mark your ball this year?" If not, well, how do you mark your ball?

To be honest, I'm not sure what to do. I over think things sometimes.

Pictures would be cool but descriptions are cool too.

I got one of those ball marking tools. We call it hieroglyphics.

cropped680217.jpg

I write old styled comic verbs on my balls. Verbs such as "bang, pow, bam.." The verb just puts me in the mood to hit the ball hard...even if it doesn't always work.

I write old styled comic verbs on my balls. Verbs such as "bang, pow, bam.." The verb just puts me in the mood to hit the ball hard...even if it doesn't always work.

That's probably one of the coolest ideas I've heard for marking your ball. Maybe I should write "go straight" on mine.

I put 3 dots on both side of the manufacture's name. I'll post a pic tomorrow

That's probably one of the coolest ideas I've heard for marking your ball. Maybe I should write "go straight" on mine.

Some people think it is idiotic, and some chuckle along with me. However, I do know that I will always be able to tell my ball from all others.

P.S. If you enjoy that, you should hear what I named my putter for the upcoming contest, haha.

I put 3 dots on both side of the manufacture's name. I'll post a pic tomorrow

I also put 3 dots on both sides, right below the manufacturer's name...
My reason is that one day I hope to score a 3 or better on every hole on the course... (read from what a tour pro does in Golf Digest)

I also draw a line around the entire ball to help with alignment.

Simple black dot, pink dot after the brand name.

Photo25.jpg

I put a "T" at an angle right at the end of the company logo. Then I put a line opposite of the model logo. Same way everytime.

i use a blue sharpie.

if you morphed the ball into a cube i would have a single dimple coloured blue on every side..

I put a smiley face about 2/3 the size of a dime. I position it at impact point on my tee shots -- gives me incentive to whack it right in the face. Also funny to see the imprint of the smiley face on my driver after I hit it! :beat-up:

two dots - with a small smiley underneath.... very small... but do get to see it on my driver face on occasion !

I don't always put an id mark on my ball. When I do I use $45 in red ink. It's normally pretty big cuz my handwriting sucks. red ink cuz that's the color sharpie I have on my bag.

No, that's not 45 dollars, it's hexidecimal notation. One of the very useful things I learned in college. What's great about it, is no one ever knows what it means.

Now maybe if I could find a bacon stamp I'd think about switching.

Last edited:
I don't usually. I seem to be the only guy in my county who plays Bridgestones.

I normally put a blue, red, or black line under the brand name on both sides. Occasionally, I will use the ball mark tool to put a straight line opposite the model logo.

We got the multi pack (20+?) of the different colored Sharpies a couple of years ago. I will mark a dozen balls at a time. Each of my two girls (9 & 3) can pick out two colors. They take their colors and mark the balls by making a dot filling in a dimple(s). My only rule is that they have to do the same thing with each ball so they are all pretty similar across the dozen.

It is fun for them to do it and I get new, unique marks a couple times a year.

I use a blue Sharpie and draw a line over the alignment arrows using a "Line-M-Up" tool, then I draw another line across that line to form a cross.

Last edited:
Just three dots.

I don't use any alignment lines.

In fact, when I putt, I don't like to see any markings at all so I turn the ball so that only the white part is seen.

titleist1.jpg

-JP

Back