Dent

MIA
Reaction score
Handicap
On Haney project, the Brad guy (Ray's friend) tried to weasle out Haney's handicap. This got me thinking.. what do you guys think Haney's handicap actually is? How good do you think he is?

I think Haney is just around scratch.

Around 4 years ago I know he shot a 71 at a charity event if that is any help.

:act-up:eek:ff question i know but does it matter what his handicap is? if he can teach he can. i know this isnt the question and sorry to get off topic but if somebody can teach does it matter? that being said i would say a 3 :act-up:

i would like to think that the greatest coach in the world is also a pretty good player but you make a good point, a lot of the best hitting coaches in baseball were bad hitters in the major leagues...just something to think about

Is he the best in the world because of his own teaching abilities, or just because he is Tiger's coach? I know when Harmon had Tiger under his wing, he was considered the best golf instructor in the world at one time. I don't really know what the formula is, that makes an instructor the best in the world.

Is he the best in the world because of his own teaching abilities, or just because he is Tiger's coach? I know when Harmon had Tiger under his wing, he was considered the best golf instructor in the world at one time. I don't really know what the formula is, that makes an instructor the best in the world.

I completely agree. He coaches the number one, who was the number one before he got there. Nothing incredible about that to be honest. Not saying he isnt a dynamite coach, but to be called number one, im unsure?

Teaching and doing are two very different things. Sure it's nice to know he/she has all the talent in the world, but thats not always the case. My first golf coach was about 80 and taught a lot of people very well. My high school track and cross country coach couldn't run around the block, yet got us to state every year. I think it comes down to what kind of eye they have for the swing from a seperate position.

:act-up:eek:ff question i know but does it matter what his handicap is? if he can teach he can. i know this isnt the question and sorry to get off topic but if somebody can teach does it matter? that being said i would say a 3 :act-up:
Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym.

I know a really good instructor at my course that isn't a really a barnburner. Granted he's probably not much higher than a 3, but when you play with him it's nothing spectacular. Hit fairways, get on or close to greens, scramble. Those are the 3 most important in the game. You give yourself a chance with those and you can shoot low.

I know butch harmon can teach but cant play,
hes like a 11 or 12 so ive heard.
Same goes for Leadbetter.

Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym.

I know a really good instructor at my course that isn't a really a barnburner. Granted he's probably not much higher than a 3, but when you play with him it's nothing spectacular. Hit fairways, get on or close to greens, scramble. Those are the 3 most important in the game. You give yourself a chance with those and you can shoot low.
Great line from School of Rock!

Re: Hank Haney

I just had a huge, awesome, on topic reply to contribute to this thread....

and then my phone crapped out and I lost it.....

so.....those who can, do. and those who can't, answer the phone and book your tee times.

I fall into that category. the latter.

Where does some of this stuff come from? Butch Harmon played on tour in the late 60s and early 70s. Pretty sure you have to be better than a 12 to play on the PGA Tour.

On Haney project, the Brad guy (Ray's friend) tried to weasle out Haney's handicap. This got me thinking.. what do you guys think Haney's handicap actually is? How good do you think he is?
I think Haney is just around scratch.
I would agree that his at or very near scratch. Word has always been that his has one of the best games of all of the top instructor's. Butch Harmon also has a very good game.

Not sure if ability to play translates into a good coach or visa versa, examples

Scotty Bowman great coach poor player.
Punch Imlach great coach marginal player
Bobby Orr , Wayne Gretzky, Gordie Howe great players poor coaches

Sparky Anderson great coach mediocure player
Jim Leyland great coach mediocure player

Vince Lombardi great coach marginal player

The gift of a great coach is their ability to understand game they teach and make the player or players see what they see and get them to do it or simply put to buy into their system.

An 11 or 12 handicap can't play?!?! Holy hell, not sure what you would call my playing then?

Re: Hank Haney

clg82 said:
An 11 or 12 handicap can't play?!?! Holy hell, not sure what you would call my playing then?

In relation to their teaching abilities, no an 11 or 12 'can't play'

In relation to their teaching abilities, no an 11 or 12 'can't play'

But your information is wrong. Butch Harmon played on tour and is far better than an 11 or 12.

I think part of 'formula' is how much money your students make. I know a teacher who was top 100 a couple of years ago. It just so happened he had a student win a pga event. The next year, that same student had a down year. That same teacher wasn't a top 100 instructor the next year. Coincidence? I think not.

Is there another thread on the new season of the show?

I was a little disappointed in the lack of, ya know, golf in the first show. . .

PGA professionals take a test and have to shoot like plus 2 or something. The older guys obviously play a little higher but I'm sure Butch and Hank would wreck most of us.

PGA professionals take a test and have to shoot like plus 2 or something. The older guys obviously play a little higher but I'm sure Butch and Hank would wreck most of us.
Wrong. They have to shoot a Combine +15 above the course rating from the middle tees over two rounds on the same day.

Back