Closing the Clubface

Chump Fries

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
Handicap
Here I am again for some advice :) (which I always appreciate)

I have learned something very interesting about my swing today that I haven't realized before. I've really been working on swinging the club from the inside, and have gotten much better at it.

However, when I swing from the inside, I have started opening the club face through impact (the heel is passing the toe at impact). When I swing this way, I tend to get decent results with the worst result being a pretty wide push or I hit the ball really thin.

I know that I am supposed to be closing the club face when I swing from the inside. When I try to close the face or compress the ball against the ground, I either come over the top, or I get flippy through impact and the ball goes all over the place. Coming over the top results in bad pull hooks, and being flippy causes pretty bad slices.

I have been doing my practices with a 7-iron if that helps. I'm 5'11' and use midsize grips (I have long fingers).

Based on all of that, do you see what the underlying cause is of my problems? Do you have any drills that could help? I just can't seem to get the feel for closing the club face without coming over the top or getting flippy.

Thanks for all the help,
C

Keep working on the in to out drills. The flip at the bottom means that your body isn't getting out of the way on the way down. You need to get the body back in sync with the arms. A new swing plane means different timing on the way down. Get out there and hit some shots with your feet together. Feel how the body is turning back and through. As the contact and comfort improve gradually work back to a normal stance.

Re: Closing the Clubface

Thanks a lot. Two more general knowledge questions for you.

First, I'm working on developing a draw. Which of the following is the "optimal" draw:

1) Setup with your body aimed directly at the target, push the ball right of the target, and let it draw back.

2) Setup with your body aimed right of the target, hit the ball straight, and let it draw let of your aim line back to the target.

Second question I have: does the club approach the ball on an out-to-in path when you setup with an open stance (during wedge shots for example)?

Thanks again.

To play the draw I would like to see you set up to the right of the target. Plan to hit the ball fairly straight to start and draw back to your target. It is hard to play for a consistant push.

Second the only way that a club will come on an out to in path from an open stance with the wedges is if you swing along the line of the feet or you have the ball too far forward in your stance.

Thanks a lot. I've been practicing the push/draw for the longest and thought that the straight/draw (which seems much easier to hit) was wrong. This will help tremendously.

Back