Longest Driver On The Market?

GMDNP1

Reaction score
Handicap
SCRTCH/0
what is the longest driver on the market? or is there no distinguished "longest" (distance) driver? thanks.

That's probably hard to say... The way golf technology is these days, I doubt there is one driver that is far and away longer than the rest. If one is longer than another, it's probably only by about 10 yards or so.

JB could probably tell you which is longest for him or who's in the top tier of long drivers, but that may not be the case for you or I.

I imagine they are all pretty comparable in distance.

If there is such a critter, "longest" is still going to depend quite a bit on the fitted, or unfitted impact position of the person using it. I think if there was "longest" driver out there, everyone would know about it, and would be using it.

I think it would depend on the golfer, how he or she swings, etc. What may be long for one golfer wouldn't be for another.

Jamie Sladowski won the world long drive challenge this year with an Adams Speedline Fast 10. Technically that could be considered the longest driver.

Too many variables between the different clubs out there. Taylormade often wins the "Iron Byron" contests with their current Burner, which usually will have the longest stock shaft on the market (46.5" on the current Burner SuperFast).

But you'll never be able to truly find out without creating a level playing field - either equip them all with the same exact shaft, or customize optimal shafts of the same length for each head and then use Iron Byron to determine a winner.

I think it would depend on the golfer, how he or she swings, etc. What may be long for one golfer wouldn't be for another.

Jamie Sladowski won the world long drive challenge this year with an Adams Speedline Fast 10. Technically that could be considered the longest driver.

Yes and no. He uses the Speedline Fast 10, but it was equipped with a custom House of Forged Jamie Sadlowski Signature 48" shaft in XXX flex (manufactured by Matrix).

or is there no distinguished "longest" (distance) driver?

^^^ that's the right answer. No generally accepted holy grail. Every manufacturer claims to have the longest driver for one reason or another.

(Assuming we are talking about USGA conforming.)

Hmmmm...

Hmmmm...

Well I would guess that just going by the construction of the Head itself you can't tell. They all should be around the max Core value allowed. So they should all be the same!?!?!
My approach is that the right shaft / head combination to create the perfect launch angle and spin rate for your swing will give you max distance. now the only driver that could improve your distance above that would be one that creates a higher swing speed for you. Adams is the only company to claim this I believe! So try the fast 10!

Does that sound logical?:confused2:

ohhh

ohhh

But of course that only goes for center dead sweet spot hits!
Of course off center hits there is a big difference in the heads!:blob:

Yes and no. He uses the Speedline Fast 10, but it was equipped with a custom House of Forged Jamie Sadlowski Signature 48" shaft in XXX flex (manufactured by Matrix).

48"?? wow that's long! Insert "that's what she said" from the office here. I just cant imagine swinging something that long.

I agree with JB. But what about last year's clubs or 08's? For example, I am planning on getting a Hibore Monster this spring. I believe it would be the longest, straightest for my game.

My bad. I was referring to the head he was using. BTW, anyone can purchase a JS shaft. HOF sells them in a variety of flexes and you can cut it down to suit you.

I agree on the higher swing speed concept. Here's a case I have first hand knowledge of. A golfer who had been fitted with the latest technology 460cc driver could only get 220-230 yards consistently out of it. On a whim he decided to use a 20 year old driver, with a much smaller head. Using the older smaller driver, he regained an extra 20-30 yards over his newer 460 driver. When checked on a machine he was swinging the smaller head faster through the impact zone. Since dispersion was about the same it was a no brainer to discard the newer, larger driver and put the older, smaller driver in play. Another point was the smaller driver head allowed him keep a better sense of balance, which allowed him to swing the club faster, and still be in control.
Well I would guess that just going by the construction of the Head itself you can't tell. They all should be around the max Core value allowed. So they should all be the same!?!?!
My approach is that the right shaft / head combination to create the perfect launch angle and spin rate for your swing will give you max distance. now the only driver that could improve your distance above that would be one that creates a higher swing speed for you. Adams is the only company to claim this I believe! So try the fast 10!

Does that sound logical?:confused2:

The hardest material for a face is TVC....so if that being the case, only one company uses that material in their design,....which is TourSwing.

The grades of face material can go from the really cheap "beta-ti"...aka "6-4"....to the next grade 15-3-3....all the way up to the Japanese hard grade of SP-700....the TVC is a step above that.

the longest driver for one person, may be the shortest driver for a different golfer. Something that adds 5 yards to my drives, may shorten yours by 10 yards or vice-versa

there are a ton of different combinations of heads/shafts that create a huge variety of launch angles and spin rates (depending on your swing speed) finding the correct combo for yourself is the only way to do it.

The hardest material for a face is TVC....so if that being the case, only one company uses that material in their design,....which is TourSwing.

The grades of face material can go from the really cheap "beta-ti"...aka "6-4"....to the next grade 15-3-3....all the way up to the Japanese hard grade of SP-700....the TVC is a step above that.

That would not make it necessarily the longest driver though. There are many factors obviously such as good weighting, solid matching shaft, etc...

Now a days all the manufacturers make good heads. IMHO it's all about the shaft...that in combination with a particular golfer's swing will produce the most distance.

Now a days all the manufacturers make good heads. IMHO it's all about the shaft...that in combination with a particular golfer's swing will produce the most distance.

I agree with a lot of that. I do think that many heads are created differently and while they are all good, they are not the same.

I agree with a lot of that. I do think that many heads are created differently and while they are all good, they are not the same.
True, their looks and characteristics are different, but that said I think golfers would be well served if they paid a bit more attention to the shaft. For example, the shaft in my driver is perfect for my swing...and, I happen to like the way the driver looks and sets up. Despite that however, I still need to make a good swing. Oy vey! There is always something... :)

Back