what is the rule regarding a handicap

gabuzo

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been told if you have a hadicap of let's say 12, you can only take a 7 on a par 4. Is that true? even if you shot an 8 on the hole? I don't see how that is fair especially when your trying to do better than your buddy on the course.

I have been told if you have a hadicap of let's say 12, you can only take a 7 on a par 4. Is that true? even if you shot an 8 on the hole? I don't see how that is fair especially when your trying to do better than your buddy on the course.
Depending on your HI those rules apply. For example, a 12 HI can only max out at 7. It's called Equitable Stroke Control. You may score a 13 on a hole, but for handicap reporting purposes you can only take a 7. Higher HI's can take more strokes and lower HI's take fewer...for example a double-bogey.

You still score an 8 in your match with your competitors,but for handicap purposes we can only post a maximium score.If it wasn't for equitible score,fudging our handicaps would be easy.

Sean got it. It's Equitable Stroke Control. It's designed to keep a "blow up hole" from artificially influencing a handicap index.

Course Handicap Maximum Score
0-9 Double Bogey
10-19 7
20-29 8
30-39 9
40+ 10

Can't space this chart right, but you get the idea.

Course Handicap Maximum Score
0-9 Double Bogey
10-19 7
20-29 8
30-39 9
40+ 10

Can't space this chart right, but you get the idea.

Note that that chart relies on the course handicap, which is calculated using a USGA handicap index and a course slope rating, not the handicap index.

yeah but doesn't the handicap system automatically adjust for that? Such as only taking the top ten scores?

yeah but doesn't the handicap system automatically adjust for that? Such as only taking the top ten scores?

The system does not adjust for ESC. You have to enter the right score. Then IF at some point that happens be higher than your ten lowest differentials, it wont be used in the calculation until such time as it IS one of the lowest 10 of your last 20. It may never get used, it may only be used for 2 or 3 weeks, or it may be used until it is knocked off the bottom of the list, all depending on the rest of the submitted scores.

I've made an 8 on one hole, then still shot 80 for the round. I returned a 79 because 7 is the highest hole score I can return for handicap purposes. That round was on my handicap for almost 2 months, and it counted as one of my 10 lowest scores for the entire time. Just because you have a big score on one hole, that doesn't mean the the score for the round will be invalidated.

The other thing to keep in mind -- its not a triple bogey per se -- its the 7 that is highest recordable score when entering into GHIN.... You can still record a 7 on a par 3 for example.... just not an 8 on any hole... :clown:

Back