Who makes the best caps and why?

don@fourteen

Reaction score
Handicap
Fourteen is looking at designing some new caps and I would love to hear from you guys on who has the best cap out there.

It doesnt have to be the manufacturer of the cap but the OEM brand would be fine. I have always been a fan of unstructured fitted caps.

I would have to say that I really like the looks of the Kangol caps I've seen. They do tend to run on the high end price-wise for caps, but look great.

I have a big head, so I normally need a structured cap. I love Nike and Taylormade hats. Also, I'm a big fan if the stretch fit caps. Again, due to large noggin issues.

Fourteen is looking at designing some new caps and I would love to hear from you guys on who has the best cap out there.

It doesnt have to be the manufacturer of the cap but the OEM brand would be fine. I have always been a fan of unstructured fitted caps.

It depends what style you are looking for. But for regular style, I would say no question it is Pukka & Nike. Pukka just flat out has amazing quality for a hat, with really solid comfort. Nike because their last hat was actually innovative for a hat. Breathable, lightweight, etc...

Worst - Hands down it is Titleist. Perhaps the poorest quality of stitching we have come across out of any brand, which is ironic because their Cobra line of hats has no issues. Yet up until this year, I believe they were made in different factories.

I'm a bit partial to Nike (yeah, it's true) but I really think they easily make the best hats. I have to say I haven't tried them all by any means, but I have to say w/ the breathable, lightweight material that Nike has come up with within the past three years or so, it's easily the best that I have come across.

That being said, 90% of the time, I don't wear a hat when golfing. I flat out don't look good in hats, which sucks, because I think a hat is what completes the look of a golfer. The 10% of the time that I DO wear a hat is tournament time, when I HAVE to completely look the part of a golfer. :act-up:

I agree Nike makes very good hats, Taylor Made makes some good hats too both because of the fit is good. I have a big head too and its hard finding hats that dont look too big. Im a big fan of the Under Armor hats too. They fit great and breath too.

As long as it was of the adjustable, one size fits all type I would have no preference to style. If anything I am more into hats over caps. Out here, the sun requires some ear protection. Winter time, and cloudy weather I go with caps. Sunny weather, I am wearing a hat with a smaller brim.

Gogie Girl - no question about it. They fit well and the inside is black - it doesn't show any make-up stains and there's no reflection.

Gogie Girl - no question about it. They fit well and the inside is black - it doesn't show any make-up stains and there's no reflection.

Actually, Diane, I agree completely when it comes to ladies hats.

I like the Polo unstructured caps. They are good quality. I bought one and returned for a second in a different color because they fit well and are bulletproof. I have had these for a couple of years, wash them frequently, and they still look as good as new. They have an adjustable strap for sizing.

all of the above mentioned OEM's make fantastic hats. personally, i will not buy a hat unless it's flexfit. i play with callaway irons and will never buy one of their hats b/c they don't have a flexfit option (at least i can't find one) and they use velcro a lot for the adjustment straps in the back, which is just cheap.

i've never had an issue with my flexfit, mesh backed titleist hats like JB has. to me, they are good looking hats, they are comfortable, and there's a lot of color options.

i can't wait to see what you come up with don, i love your logo and could see adding one of your hats to the collection. good luck.

I dont mind the fullback Titleist hats. or the TW Flex caps. But just the overall design of the Cobra hat makes them my favourite. Its too bad, is it only in canada where you cant get the camilo military cap anymore?

I shave my head so any hat I wear has to be fitted. I don't have much of a preference on structured/unstructured. Although weather plays a big part in the decision. Unstructured and lightweight is a little better to wear on a hot day.

I love the Nike Flex-fit hats. They fit perfectly, and are usually lightweight. Others have tried to make a flex hat, but they just can't get it right. Another style that is great are the New Era BP hats. They have a great fit for a structured hat. If the material was a little lighter, it would make a great golf hat. A little to thick for a hot day, but golf is not what they were made for. I have several Titleist hats (not sure who makes them, I know one is New Era) and have not had any problems with any of them. I have three different styles and they have all held up well with heavy use.

Re: Who makes the best caps and why?

American Dry Goods makes great caps. And Pukka...awesome.

Going the OEM route.....Titleist has the best unstructured caps around.

I don't do structured...but I am open to different styles other than ballcaps.

Definitely some form of Flex-Fit hat... I like to wear them backwards quite a bit off the course. I really like the TW Flex-Fit and Titleist uses the A-Flex...

I agree about the unstructured fitted caps. The most comfortable hat I have is a FlexFit cap made by Volcom. I also have a couple Cobras, but that's more about style than comfort (although they're definitely not uncomfortable).

I'm not sure if you're even thinking about this, but were you just going to put the feather logo in the center of the hat? For some reason, I see it off-center in the bottom corner of the front panel (just the feather). Then the "Fourteen" can go on the back. Just a suggestion.

My favorite hat is from a club in Phoenix, but was made by Legendary. It has the breathable fabric on the back half and the typical material towards the front with the club logo on it.

I'd have to say Titleist. The FJ stitching on the side, the Breathable netting on the back half of the hat, and the fact that it is flex fit is great. It is the same hat offered in tons of different colours and is extremely light.

tit_mesh_org_LG.jpg

clt10060%20titl__ah.jpg

I have a hard time finding ladies hats that will actually look good on me. I have a few Adidas hats and 1 Titleist hat that I wear but haven't found THE perfect hat for my head yet :(

I like the Ahead Extreme.

No puffy printing please. Not a fan of the puffy print.

I like the Titleist caps myself, but I'll wear pretty much anything as long as it's structured.

I absolutely cannot stand unstructured caps. All they do is flop over and end up looking like a pile of fabric with a brim attached.

That's actually a deal-breaker for me. I once saw some really nice caps at a Golfsmith store and they looked great, had nice colors, a variety of designs and were marked down. I went to look at them and was ready to buy a bunch until I realized that they were unstructured.

So much for buying some new caps that day.

-JP

I'm the total opposite, JP.
I can't stand hats that have a front panel that stands up higher than your actual head. I also can't stand a flat brim, but that's a different discussion.

American Dry Goods makes great caps. And Pukka...awesome.

Going the OEM route.....Titleist has the best unstructured caps around.

I don't do structured...but I am open to different styles other than ballcaps.

I am the exact opposite. I find the Titleist hats, while they look great have serious issues with fit and stitching. Its a shame too, because they have great color choices and look to them.

I have a hard time finding ladies hats that will actually look good on me. I have a few Adidas hats and 1 Titleist hat that I wear but haven't found THE perfect hat for my head yet :(

GOGIE GIRL!!!!!

The key to a good structured hat (really, I prefer semi-structured) is the height and shape of the structuring. It has to be low profile and have a good curve to it. If it doesn't, it ends up looking like a billboard stuck on your head.

The bill is important too. It needs to hold a curve.

I'm the total opposite, JP.
I can't stand hats that have a front panel that stands up higher than your actual head. I also can't stand a flat brim, but that's a different discussion.

And that's why both are for sale. :thumb:

I had a golf buddy who always wore unstructured caps and he always looked like he ought to be coiling rope on a fishing boat instead of standing on a golf course. That probably sounds weird, but that's the image I had.

Everyone is different, right?

-JP

Back