Happens to all of us.

I hadn't shot in the 80's for over two years, and then I shot an 81...in a tournament nonetheless.

It happens. Mine tend to occur, because I will three putt like EIGHT times. The round where I shot 81, I hit 15 greens.

It's sad, but it happens. Heck, look at how David Duval is. In serious contention to win one week, then misses five cuts (example) in a row.

I admit it. I am a total head case when it comes to this stupid game.

I played last week....78, yesterday....79, and today....too many to count.

It was a total melt down.

I couldn't hit my driver more than about 200 yds, my irons were off by 25% if I didn't skull them or hit them fat.

My chipping was atrocious but to make up for it, I putted like I was blind.

I actually played the last 5 or 6 holes with a 5 iron...off the tee, approach, out of the sand, and putted with it. Believe it or not, I played better with it than my full set. In my defense, I did not break any of my clubs or abuse any of my playing companions. I did use copious amounts of foul language and I am pretty sure some of the words are new.

I mean, seriously, WTH! Every other sport I ever took up, I became proficient within a season and, like riding a bike, the skills never left me. I haven't played soccer in 20 years, but I can still juggle the ball and pass it and dribble it. A few days practice and I could be ready to play. Some days, golf is like waking up completely disoriented in a foreign country, unable to communicate with anyone.

I hate golf!

What time do we tee off tomorrow? :banghead:

So..... I don't get what the problem is??? Is this something special? I'm not hearing anything that's different from everyone I ever knew. I even get the same symptoms halfway through a decent round. I can go from total understanding of my game, to complete and utter befuddlement in a matter of 2 or 3 swings. :confused2: I just thought that was how the game was intended to be. :banghead:

Last edited:
I'm like this as well, more often then not I'll get so frustrated and vow to NEVER play again and sell all of my golf stuff (clothes, shoes, bags, clubs, hats, etc) and get my money back!! haa haa :D

Then the next day you hit a career shot... and all is forgiven! :act-up:
Gotta love this game.

The way I approach the game is the following: As long as my swing is sound I couldn't care less about my scorecard. In other words, how I play matters more to me than how I score. Besides, when you play well, the score takes care of itself.

Were you wearing the nice florescent green shirt? :D

That would of caused his playing partners to be off on their game.. That thing was blinding! :D

Try to keep a positive attitude as I am sure you are C-Tech. I too know the struggles with this game but I keep comming back.

That would of caused his playing partners to be off on their game.. That thing was blinding! :D

So, why do you think I bought it? :D I've got a money game on before noon so I think I'll wear it. That should be good for at least a couple of strokes.

100_0093.jpg

This game, if it's done nothing else for me personally (and it hasn't, haha) is that it's humbled me. Greatly.

Like the OP, athletics all came natural to me. I was always one of the fastest, quickest, and flat out best at whatever sport we were all playing. Football, basketball, baseball, tennis, badmitton, even soccer (grade school mistake), etc etc.

Golf knocked me about eight notches off of my own totem pole. Starting out, I would get so upset and flustered at myself that I would break clubs, cuss like a sailor, and overall just act like an idiot. After a little growing up, I knew that I was never going to "dominate" this sport. It's just never going to happen. Golf is just a different kind of sport. Natural athletic ability can help you a little bit, but it's not going to make you good by any means. Getting good requires a lot of practice time, and dedication. Being great (a pro) would require quitting your job for golf. Something I doubt any of us can do.

I still always strive to be better, but I'm content w/ where I'm at. Some days will be better than others, and on the bad days, you can't do much but shrug your shoulders and move on. What else can you do? What's the point of getting upset about it?

I've adopted that logic for life in general as well. Why get so upset? Life is too short for that, especially about things that you can't control.

This game, if it's done nothing else for me personally (and it hasn't, haha) is that it's humbled me. Greatly.

Please don't be offended, but if that's true - it must only be on the golf course because I don't see it in your posting. Your came into the forum like a bull in a china shop.

Please don't be offended, but if that's true - it must only be on the golf course because I don't see it in your posting. Your came into the forum like a bull in a china shop.

Yeah, more or less on the golf course.

The thing about the bull and the china shop.

It's how I roll, baby. :act-up:

Yeah, more or less on the golf course.

The thing about the bull and the china shop.

It's how I roll, baby. :act-up:

You catch more flies with honey - and a gentler tone.

One would think that after a while one would gain some consistency with the golf swing. It puzzles me greatly that one day we can go low and next day go high: same person, same equipment, same weather, same golf course.

That may be the way it is, but I still don't get it. All we can do is engage in radical acceptance...and perhaps sigh a lot.

...radical acceptance is good I also think about as reverse insanity.

There is that overused phrase, "Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results." Doesn't golf feel like your doing the same thing and getting different results? It makes you look down at the lie, at your hands, in the air and say, "How could that happen? It defies logic. It's crazy!"

Like someone said, though, I think that is all part of what brings us back.

:flowers4u:

Why thank you. I so enjoy receiving flowers. Chocolate would be even better though especially after the way I swung my golf clubs today.

...radical acceptance is good I also think about as reverse insanity.

There is that overused phrase, "Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results." Doesn't golf feel like your doing the same thing and getting different results? It makes you look down at the lie, at your hands, in the air and say, "How could that happen? It defies logic. It's crazy!"

Like someone said, though, I think that is all part of what brings us back.
That pure shot we hit...the feeling it engenders...watching the ball flight. There is something very Zen about that.

By the way...I'm in the Boston area as well.

It takes a man to say I failed.

It takes a man to say I failed.

Good post C-Tech! We love it when we play solid golf and then we become embarrassed when the game turns on us. Golf is fickle at best. It can be so much fun when you are in your special zone! Then we get all smug and strut like a fat old peacock and it bites us in the butt :angry: People like you make us all feel better when you fail and own up to it :eek:)

P.S. I shot me a crowd pleasing 94 today :banghead: Please don't tell Calloway :D

I have often thought that I could capitalize on my ineptitude with golf clubs. Imagine how much someone like Titleist would pay me NOT to play their clubs.

I played in miserable conditions today that made scoring a challenge. On the bright side, I wasn't too far over my handicap in 30MPH winds. I had a good ball striking day even though it feels strange to hit a 4 iron flush into a wind and have it come up short on a 150 yard approach.

I have often thought that I could capitalize on my ineptitude with golf clubs. Imagine how much someone like Titleist would pay me NOT to play their clubs.

I played in miserable conditions today that made scoring a challenge. On the bright side, I wasn't too far over my handicap in 30MPH winds. I had a good ball striking day even though it feels strange to hit a 4 iron flush into a wind and have it come up short on a 150 yard approach.

Love those light breezes, don't we? I've played a well hit driver, 3W, 8I and still come up short on a 400 yard par 4. On the plus side... the next hole is a par 5 the opposite direction and I hit a 325 yard tee shot there, with just a smooth 7I left to the green. :golf2:

That pure shot we hit...the feeling it engenders...watching the ball flight. There is something very Zen about that.

By the way...I'm in the Boston area as well.

True enough - and even though everyone rightly points out that we all have good days and bad days, the fact is you CAN become more consistent with practice. (I hope:embarrassed:)

I hit balls yesterday and while good isn't a word you'd use to describe how it went, it gave me a lot to work on!

Sean - when the weather turns providing I can get my game out of the embarrassing category maybe we can sneak in a round sometime.

I'd be happy shooting a 79 for nine holes.I just can't seem to break a hundred so I don't understand your pain.

Love those light breezes, don't we? I've played a well hit driver, 3W, 8I and still come up short on a 400 yard par 4. On the plus side... the next hole is a par 5 the opposite direction and I hit a 325 yard tee shot there, with just a smooth 7I left to the green. :golf2:

Played a desert course here on day in 35+ with gusts to 45. First time I ever hit a 9I from 75 and came up short while hitting the same 9I from 170 and flying the green. Now that is a brand new experience. The ball would hardly sit still on the putting surface.

Total Head Case

Expectations often cause us to lose focus
on the task at hand. I try to think about nothing
before the round but my first tee shot and each shot
as it comes after that. Too many times after a good
round or so, I will start thinking about how if I just
improve here and there the record score is next up.
Then the sruggles begin, and are hard to shake off.

Back