Anyone got a Toyota?

You can't be serious.....:confused2:

GM does tend to use very low quality parts in their vehicles. It's common for front struts to be totally worn out on vehicles with 40,000 or less miles. Fuel pumps which of course are located in the fuel tanks also have a history of crapping out with low miles as well as the wiring going to the fuel pumps isn't encased in anything protective & if you drive in the rust belt the wiring is attacked severely & you lose all connectivity.

GM does tend to use very low quality parts in their vehicles. It's common for front struts to be totally worn out on vehicles with 40,000 or less miles. Fuel pumps which of course are located in the fuel tanks also have a history of crapping out with low miles as well as the wiring going to the fuel pumps isn't encased in anything protective & if you drive in the rust belt the wiring is attacked severely & you lose all connectivity.

You've been drinking i can tell.....:D

You've been drinking i can tell.....:D

I have owned GM's in the past & currently own one. It has been pretty reliable but stuff certainly wears out way too quickly compared to other vehicles I have owned.

I own or have owned Toyotas, Fords, Chevys, Dodges and Cadillac. The only brand I've sworn to never own again is a Ford, I had more trouble out of the two Taurus' my wife had than the rest of the other vehicles combined.

Ive owned Toyotas in the past. I owned an '85 and a '91 4Runner. They were great vehicles and I wouldnt hesitate to buy one again.
Ive been watching the senate hearings from today and Toyota seems very eager to fix their problems and get back on track.
I somewhat question some of the stories you hear where peoples' cars speed out of control no matter how hard they press on the brakes. Anyone who ever did a burnout/brake stand in highschool knows that the engine doesnt have power to cause the car to speed out of control when your foot is on the brake. I also have to wonder why some of these people didnt think to either turn the engine off or put the transmission into neutral.
Ive got a '99 Ford F-150 with 206,000 miles on it and am planning on replacing it with something newer later this year. I had been planning on buying a Camry and still plan on buying a Camry. I trust that Toyota will find the cause of the problem and make things right.
Id still feel safer and more confident buying a Toyota than any other brand of car. If you look at the number of safety recalls over the past 10 years, Toyota still have far fewer safety issues than do Ford, GM or Chrysler.

I somewhat question some of the stories you hear where peoples' cars speed out of control no matter how hard they press on the brakes. Anyone who ever did a burnout/brake stand in highschool knows that the engine doesnt have power to cause the car to speed out of control when your foot is on the brake. I also have to wonder why some of these people didnt think to either turn the engine off or put the transmission into neutral.

I read somewhere in the past 2 weeks...don't recall where, may have been Car & Driver or Motor Trend & they performed a test of taking a car up to 60 mph & then florring the gas pedal & at the same time nailing the brakes as hard as they could. They used 3-4 different vehicles & every single time the car stopped with no issues & the distance wasn't much further than if the gas had never been touched.

They did the same test only this time it was from 100 mph & once again they all stopped but the Mustang...may have been a Shelby model took a long time to slow down & the brakes were pretty much cooked.

As far as turning the car off, reports are saying some of the vehicles are the ones which have the push button start. If the vehicle is running & in gear you need to hold the button in for 3 seconds or hit it 3 times rapidly...something like that. Obviously panic sets in & the driver freaks out. I would just toss the damn thing in neutral, hit the brakes & let the motor blow up.

You can't be serious.....:confused2:

GM's been sitting on it's laurels pumping out trucks, completely ignoring cars for over 20 years

I've had family members own GM and it's always been poor quality as far as I can remember, but they love to "buy american"

blazer/trailblazers with 2 transmissions replaced under 80k miles, horrible resale, poor mileage, poor handling.

when my Dad in particular finally decided to replace his trailblazer he found at a GM/honda dealer that the ridgeline was much cheaper than a new trailblazer so he ended up buying that instead (and it finally opened his eyes to what the true quality of GM is, not that the honda is pretty to look at, but it's silly how practical and reliable it has been for him)

blazer/trailblazers with 2 transmissions replaced under 80k miles, horrible resale, poor mileage, poor handling.

I forgot to mention horrible mileage & GM is still playing that game. When I bought mine the window sticker claimed 20 city & 25 highway...what a joke as I typically get 19-20 highway, have had a couple tanks get almost 23 but those are very very rare. I am really anal about checking mileage since it can be a very good indicator of problems that you may not be aware of. Now with the same vehicle GM is claiming hwy mileage of up to 31 mpg yet when the car mags have performed their tests it's been in the 17-21 range.

I bet these people who have had problems ride the brakes, thinking the problem will go away, and they overheat them to the point where they don't work (the brakes would stop the car if pressed hard and fast)

I think the pushbutton start is a big part of the issue too as mentioned above, you do have to hold the button down for 3 seconds or so to shut the car off while moving, and in a panic it would honestly be hard to think of that (especially with push button start being such a recent addition to common cars)

another factor is that Toyota customers aren't usually big gearheads/car enthusiasts, so they're not the kind of person who can think of changing to neutral, whereas someone who can drive a manual transmission should have no trouble diffusing that situation even with throttle stuck wide open.

another factor is that Toyota customers aren't usually big gearheads/car enthusiasts, so they're not the kind of person who can think of changing to neutral, whereas someone who can drive a manual transmission should have no trouble diffusing that situation even with throttle stuck wide open.
IMO, your view of Toyota owners is flawed. :bad:

I drive a BMW with a manual shift and shifting to neutral is about all I do. I barely know how to downshift.

Oh Lefty, sorry no. I drive a BMW with a manual shift and I barely know how to downshift.

This is a little off topic but I want some opinions on this.

How long do you guys think it will be before Toyota recovers from this? I personally think it is going to take longer than what they would like as they were marketing under the fact that they are more reliable than any other car manufacturer. However, I personally would rather buy from Ford, Chevy, or Dodge and have it recalled when they know there is a problem right away rather than wait a while like toyota did.

How long do you guys think it will be before Toyota recovers from this? I personally think it is going to take longer than what they would like as they were marketing under the fact that they are more reliable than any other car manufacturer. However, I personally would rather buy from Ford, Chevy, or Dodge and have it recalled when they know there is a problem right away rather than wait a while like toyota did.

If I had to take a professional guess, this is what I'd expect. Toyota will probably be smarting from this probably through summer assuming more issues don't crawl out of the woodwork. Sales will start to recover through the fall and next winter though. It's been a pretty good black eye to their reputation, but Toyota has a LARGE customer base that has been very loyal historically.

I dont think it will take Toyota long. Their have some of the most loyal customers in the world.
Honestly, Ford, Chevy or Dodge isnt any better. Remember a couple years ago when Ford had that recall for the cruise control switches that would cause the vehicle to catch fire?
Well, Ford deined for almost 10 years that the problem existed, even after hundreds of vehicles burnt to the ground and even in a few cases the vehicle caught fire inside the owner's garage and caused their house to burn down. Still, Ford denied that there was a problem. It was only when the NHTSA stepped in and forced them to do a recall when Ford reluctantly admitted to having a problem.
Also, remember back in the late '90s when Ford had the Firestone tire recall where the treads were seperating on the rear tires of Ford Explorers, causing them to roll over? Well, for about 3 years Ford denied that there was a problem and even when they did issue a recall they claimed that the problem was all Firestone's fault or that people were underinflating their tires. Ok, thats fine, but why they was this problem ONLY on Ford Explorers and on no other brand of SUVs?
It doesnt matter what emblem is on the hood, they all dont like doing recalls because it costs them a lot of money.
Thats why Id personally prefer a Toyota or Honda. Toyotas and Hondas historically have had fewer problems than other brands. If you look at the number of safety recalls over the past 10 years, Ford, GM and Chrysler have had signifigantly more recalls than have Toyota and Honda.
Toyota is going through a tought time right now, but they will fix their problems and in the long run will be a stronger, better company because of it.

All I know is my new company car was supposed to be a Toyota....:banghead:

I dont think it will take Toyota long. Their have some of the most loyal customers in the world.
Honestly, Ford, Chevy or Dodge isnt any better. Remember a couple years ago when Ford had that recall for the cruise control switches that would cause the vehicle to catch fire?
Well, Ford deined for almost 10 years that the problem existed, even after hundreds of vehicles burnt to the ground and even in a few cases the vehicle caught fire inside the owner's garage and caused their house to burn down. Still, Ford denied that there was a problem. It was only when the NHTSA stepped in and forced them to do a recall when Ford reluctantly admitted to having a problem.
Also, remember back in the late '90s when Ford had the Firestone tire recall where the treads were seperating on the rear tires of Ford Explorers, causing them to roll over? Well, for about 3 years Ford denied that there was a problem and even when they did issue a recall they claimed that the problem was all Firestone's fault or that people were underinflating their tires. Ok, thats fine, but why they was this problem ONLY on Ford Explorers and on no other brand of SUVs?
It doesnt matter what emblem is on the hood, they all dont like doing recalls because it costs them a lot of money.
Thats why Id personally prefer a Toyota or Honda. Toyotas and Hondas historically have had fewer problems than other brands. If you look at the number of safety recalls over the past 10 years, Ford, GM and Chrysler have had signifigantly more recalls than have Toyota and Honda.
Toyota is going through a tought time right now, but they will fix their problems and in the long run will be a stronger, better company because of it.

You raise a very good point. I have not had these experiences with Ford, Chevy, etc. and do not recall these as I am only 22. I am going simply by what I remember by the vehicles that my parents have owned where they have been recalled as soon as there was a problem known.

I own an 07' Tundra. My wife just traded in her 03' Corolla for a 10' Camry. My dad just traded his 95' "Tacoma" with almost 200k miles for a 10' Tacoma. My brothers wife has an 09' Corolla... All 4 of these current rides are on the recall list.

I've also had a 97 T-100 and a 00' Tundra. Never an issue from any of these. Change oil, rotate tires, add gas.

The light on my stereo flickers sometimes, they told me to bring it in and they would install a new stereo. Not sure its worth the effort. I doubt I even take it in for the recall, I didnt for the floor mats.

I wont make any accusations but I cant help to be curious...

How big of a deal would our government have made from this if our government had NOT invested billions of dollars in GM??

Just Wondering. :act-up:

toyotadrivers.jpg

I wont make any accusations but I cant help to be curious...

How big of a deal would our government have made from this if our government had NOT invested billions of dollars in GM??

Just Wondering. :act-up:
My thoughts exactly. I watched the hearing on Wednesday and honestly, the reps spent more time preaching to Akio Toyoda about how they should buy more from American parts suppliers, should issue recalls as soon as they suspect a problem (before they even know for sure that there is a problem and knowh ow to fix it) and about how they should NEVER, EVER blame the owners for problems. They spent very little time actually questioning Toyoda about how they deal with problems and about whether or not they were suppressing recalls.
Funny, I thought the whole point of the hear was to find out whether or not there was a big cover-up going on at Toyota. :confused2:

"Toyota - Moving Forward" ... Even if you don't want to!

My thoughts exactly. I watched the hearing on Wednesday and honestly, the reps spent more time preaching to Akio Toyoda about how they should buy more from American parts suppliers, should issue recalls as soon as they suspect a problem (before they even know for sure that there is a problem and knowh ow to fix it) and about how they should NEVER, EVER blame the owners for problems. They spent very little time actually questioning Toyoda about how they deal with problems and about whether or not they were suppressing recalls.
Funny, I thought the whole point of the hear was to find out whether or not there was a big cover-up going on at Toyota. :confused2:

They're politicians. You actually expected them to deal with the actual issues at hand? They want to look good to the voters, which means trying to push them to "buy american" is going to look good for sound bites on the news.

Do I think they're raising hell because the government owns a majority stake in GM? No. But I think a LOT of politicians in the states where Toyota has built factories in the US have been doing a lot of backstroking after all this came out. Several of the loudest accusers are from those states, and have been in Toyota's camp for years. They're trying to distance themselves as fast as they can, and the hearings make it look good.

My wife was driving a Siena Limited, the lease was up this month and we decided to go into a Buick Enclave CLX2. We had planned on going into the new Siena but with their troubles we decided to look elsewhere. So far so good on the Enclave, it's been a huge upgrade.

My wife was driving a Siena Limited, the lease was up this month and we decided to go into a Buick Enclave CLX2. We had planned on going into the new Siena but with their troubles we decided to look elsewhere. So far so good on the Enclave, it's been a huge upgrade.
So you bought a Buick?????? :banghead: I wouldnt call that an upgrade, Id call that settling.
If you wanted another minivan you could have at least bought a Honda Odyssey, which would have bee far better than any GM product. :confused2:

So you bought a Buick?????? :banghead: I wouldnt call that an upgrade, Id call that settling.
If you wanted another minivan you could have at least bought a Honda Odyssey, which would have bee far better than any GM product. :confused2:

man, your comments about anything/everything to do with auto industry is biased. you're obviously a honda/toyota fan and that's fine, but there's no reason to call someone out b/c they bought a Buick, or any other GM product. how can you tell someone that they are "settling"? do you know how much research they did on particular vehicles?

Back