Not a bad idea. I will consider that. Not as easy as a slot wall, but it could work.

Samsclub has Slatwall.
0089980500097_LG.jpg

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=390798
Then you can go crazy from there.

If you don't like the free standing version, you can have a wall mounted system that is adjustable. I found this on the ACE Hardware website.

pACE3-4534194dt.jpg

Each 48" long slat on the wall is $13.49 and each 15" long shelf is $24.99. The slats are screwed into the wall and then the shelves are easily mounted into place.

Not a bad idea. I will consider that. Not as easy as a slot wall, but it could work.

true, but it would be much easier than you think and much cheaper. you can even have the guys at lowe's or home depot cut your 1 x material to whatever length you want. most studs are 16'' apart so i would have my material cut to 4 foot lengths (get two or three of them) then get 6 - 9 wooden brackets (already have pilot holes for your screws in them), pre-paint or stain them, let dry, screw brackets into studs, screw 1x material into to the brackets, set shoes on top. you could stagger the shelves or just stack them, i'd say three, four foot shelves should be plenty.

i'd love to tackle it for you at the florida golf outing if i could make it.

tc's ideas are great and would look really nice. The project might sound hard since you say you haven't been the hand-man in the past, but it really isn't difficult if you have the supplies.

tc's ideas are great and would look really nice. The project might sound hard since you say you haven't been the hand-man in the past, but it really isn't difficult if you have the supplies.

dirt, i think we should fabricate it and ship it to him. it really is a lot easier than it sounds and like i said, you could paint it or stain it which makes it look even better.

dirt, how about some more pics of those bp's, i need a fix.

I guess a big question is what kind of theme/look are you wanting? Metal, wood, plastic? Any specific color/stain?

dirt, i think we should fabricate it and ship it to him. it really is a lot easier than it sounds and like i said, you could paint it or stain it which makes it look even better.

dirt, how about some more pics of those bp's, i need a fix.

I'd have no problem putting together a care package if they wanted. I love woodworking. If this would have come up a week ago, I might have been able to rough it out and put it in the trailer for my trip to Daytona. Alas, the trailer has already left and I'm flying down to meet em.

I'd send ya some pics of em but I'm still at work. I think it is time to go home though because my programs keep crashing.

I'd have no problem putting together a care package if they wanted. I love woodworking. If this would have come up a week ago, I might have been able to rough it out and put it in the trailer for my trip to Daytona. Alas, the trailer has already left and I'm flying down to meet em.

I'd send ya some pics of em but I'm still at work. I think it is time to go home though because my programs keep crashing.

trailer/daytona? bike week?

Uh oh. Now time to do some research and work some trades.

Uh huh. It will be my first real vacation!

You mentioned that in another thread and I meant to ask - Ever - in your life?

Uh oh. Now time to do some research and work some trades.

you wouldn't have to trade me anything. it's really not hard to put some shelves together. what'll suck is the shipping. i have my own routers and stands so i could do some cool profiles on the edges of the shelves.

what would be handy is if you could take some pics of the garage so i could get an idea of what style would look best.

Uh huh. It will be my first real vacation! I'll be rippin and roarin up and down the coast!

what'll you be rippin and roarin on?

You mentioned that in another thread and I meant to ask - Ever - in your life?

Other than a misc. weekend trip or a school function trip, yes. I'm only a few years out of college so now that all my debt is repaid it is time to have some fun!

what'll you be rippin and roarin on?

I'm built for comfort, not speed so I have a Vstar 1100. I'm hoping to get plenty of ideas while I'm down there so I can strip it apart and rebuild it from scratch next winter.

Sorry to destroy your golf style thread JB. Let me know if you need any help or further ideas for the project.

Thanks guys, and we will have some pictures up tomorrow.

Sorry to destroy your golf style thread JB. Let me know if you need any help or further ideas for the project.

+1 what dirt said JB. it wouldn't be me if i didn't venture off topic.

Those are certainly a more budget way to go and may be where we are leaning at this point.

I had these all over the garage (in my last house) and instead of wire shelves I used MDF, and cut it to size. I painted them white to make them match. It is even cheaper to do that. The "double" hanger system can handle large amounts of weight. We had a shelf there that had 10 cans of paint on it with no issues. To make sure the shelves didn't move, I also put a screw from under the bracket into the MDF. Very very sturdy.

IKEA may have some nice, inexpensive shoe storage containers! If you're a DIY-er, it should be easy peasy!

Back