Logical Purchasing vs Impulse Buying

MSB256

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm just curious, how many of you guys and gals are logical vs impulse buyers. And if you impulse buy, admit it!

We have a demo day at my local range coming up on March 19th. Pretty much every big brand will be there providing the opportunity to hit all the drivers out there. Last year I left with an 09 Burner.

But, this year I'm having trouble convincing myself to wait that long. The Nike Machspeed is releasing thursday and I'm so tempted just to buy it and call it a day. That way I can go play golf instead of going to demo days.

And, yes, price is a factor. I'm not spending the extra $100 on a supertri, so it's Machspeed or keep what I've got anyway. I might be stubborn and skip demo days... unless someone can talk me out of it.

It depends on the money situation. But I'll impulse buy on things other than golf items. And cost def. plays a huge factor.

Lately, because of all the budget cuts around here and I pretty much have everything anyways...I'm more geared to purchasing items if I absolutely need it rather than just outright wanting it. :D

I go to the local golf stores regulaly here just to snoop around and see what is new in the used club bin. I have done a little of both. I will look and see what they have and if I see a deal then the little kid in me wants to get it then the logic guy starts trying to talk me out of it. :bicker: It comes down generally to the price of the item and if it will really help my game. A perfect example was yesterday, I walk in the store and they are having a driver blowout. I snoop around in the offerings and grab 3 to hit, two felt nice and were a decent price but I passed after I realized my driving is not my problem, it is my short game and I put the drivers down. The other problem was I hit he clubs into a net and really have no idea how the ball flew or if it was really any better.

In your case I would definately check it out. Having the opportunity to check out a bunch of clubs from different vendors at the same time can be both a good learning experience and a good way to gather info maybe for a future purchase ( what feels good to you) There is a golf show here in SoCal this weekend. Hitting into nets again but I am going to checkit out.

I am impulse all the way. I once bought a 2nd car off an impulse, so far that is the most expensive one, next was my HD TV back in 2005. The problem is that my impulse buys usually cost 4 or 5 figures. Thankfully golf clubs are usually pretty cheap in comparison. I am having a hard time fighting the urge for a new driver at the moment.

Depends on the expenditure. If it's going to be large it's logic....small to medium it can be impulse all the way.

I am having a hard time fighting the urge for a new driver at the moment.

That's exactly where I'm at with the driver! Of course, I don't really NEED one. But then again, there's lots of stuff we buy that we don't need, even in hard financial times. But, I lean more towards, a man needs his golf, his outlet, so I'll do what it takes to play rather than shucks, I've gotta give up golf.

But, I really like the looks of the new Machspeed. And my justification is that the other new drivers are about $100 more in some cases anyway.

That's exactly where I'm at with the driver! Of course, I don't really NEED one. But then again, there's lots of stuff we buy that we don't need, even in hard financial times.

Then you're really talking "need" vs. "want" rather than "impulse" vs. "logical" - don't you think.

Guilty. I impulse buy way too much. I think thats how I ended up with a DST, R9 and Diablo Edge drivers lol

Anything over $10 has to be logic for me. I have no problem impluse buying a soda or going out for lunch, but larger purchases such as clubs, tv, car... those need to sit in my noggin for a bit. I guess at my young age, I realize saving $$ will get me further in life than spending all of it...:confused2:

I am an impulse buyer until I find what makes me happy, then I find another hobby to spend on. I have self-diagnosed myself with shiny object syndrome. :D Of course, cost always has its factor.

I am a bargain hunter in just about everything I purchase, and golf is no different. I am past the "buy the latest, greatest" phase of my life. I believe you spend money to make money for the most part. My impulse buying will be when I find something I will probably/maybe/might need at a later date, at such a great price, that it is smart to buy it. The last couple of weeks I have probably purchased $800 worth of equipment for $200. The impulse was the savings.:D

I am impulse buyer of golf shoes, if I see a good deal, I'll buy them as long as they are a different color as the ones all ready have. Too many shoes!!!

I am a bargain hunter in just about everything I purchase, and golf is no different. I am past the "buy the latest, greatest" phase of my life. I believe you spend money to make money for the most part. My impulse buying will be when I find something I will probably/maybe/might need at a later date, at such a great price, that it is smart to buy it. The last couple of weeks I have probably purchased $800 worth of equipment for $200. The impulse was the savings.:D

Well done Prov! I'm guilty of buying things I might not need (esp. golf stuff) if it's a 'good/great deal' The savings can justify the want REAL fast! :clapp:

Then you're really talking "need" vs. "want" rather than "impulse" vs. "logical" - don't you think.

Well, I can see how you gathered that. But that's really another story.

I'm talking logical vs impulse as in, have you ever bought drivers without even hitting them, or perhaps after only hitting them into a net. Or, do you always test a driver on a range, go to demo days, hit lots of products, etc, before deciding on a purchase.

For example, logic tells me hold off til March 19th, go to demo days, and try every driver I can. Impulse tells me I really like the Machspeed, and it's $100 cheaper anyway, than say, an R9, so just buy it thursday when it's released instead of waiting till March 19th to try other drivers.

I never hit my R9 460 until after I bought it. I had hit the R9 included with my bro-in-law's rentals when he came to visit, loved it so much I had to mull over it for a month or two until I pulled the trigger. I opted for the R9 460 for two reasons, found a much better deal and wanted more forgiveness.

I try to always be logical in purchasing things but do occasionally(very rarely) make an impulse buy.

Logical all the way. I do have occasional bouts of impulseness but that tends to be on lower ticketed items and food.

I am logical pretty much all the time. Ironically, my car was an impulse buy.

Well, I'm afraid this year I'm going to go the impulse route. I've all but made my mind up that I'm buying a Machspeed driver. Then, I'll get rid of the one I don't use.

Anything over $10 has to be logic for me. I have no problem impluse buying a soda or going out for lunch, but larger purchases such as clubs, tv, car... those need to sit in my noggin for a bit. I guess at my young age, I realize saving $$ will get me further in life than spending all of it...:confused2:

I am exactly the same way.

switch to playing golf left handed, then you wouldn't be able to impulse buy at all!

stores having zero LH inventory has saved me tons of money over the years!

You sound like Maslow.

I'm an impulse buyer. But, I am really working on having no more impulses this year.

My club purchases are typically logical. However, I can go binge/impulse shopping where I buy several items in quick succession such as balls, shoes, shirts ect.

Definitely an impulse buyer. The thing is, though, I pretty much will only buy "cheap" items.

I've purchased 7 drivers over this winter, the most I've paid for one is around $60. '07 Burner, Speedline with a TMTP Whiteboard, FT-3 Tour, 9015D, XL HiBore, etc...all were under $60. I can't resist a deal. It's odd, but I'm not really tempted by the new shiny offerings coming out right now, but in two years if I can get a DST for $70, I'd be all over it. Now that I'm saturated with drivers, I'll hit them and figure out what I like, fiddle with shafts a bit...then sell off the ones that I don't need. Because I buy stuff cheap, I'll probably break even or not lose too much, then I'll go on a spree buying cheap used wedges or whatever I like at the moment. It keeps me out of trouble :act-up:

Back