What's missing in my bag.....

Where do you have the ball positioned in your stance when hitting your fairway woods? how about your hybrid.....maybe that's the reason i'm not making good contact with my hybrid....

It is true for all clubs I would think

Where do you have the ball positioned in your stance when hitting your fairway woods? how about your hybrid.....maybe that's the reason i'm not making good contact with my hybrid....

Fairway woods are just ahead of center and hybrids (I've been doing it this way) in the middle of your stance!

I've been thinking along the same lines but a little different. Are hybrids really needed?

No club is ultimately needed. It's all based on preference.

The hybrids are built to be hit more easily than irons.

Fairway woods are just ahead of center and hybrids (I've been doing it this way) in the middle of your stance!

Generally, the longer the club, the further forward you want it in your stance. So, wherever you position your driver, your woods will be closer to the middle, with long irons closer to the middle and so on.

I have a 3 wood in the bag and rarely(if ever) do I use it. I don't carry hybrids as I am confortable hitting long irons. So I could take my 3 wood out of the bag and not miss it at all. I think a lot of people find a FW easier to hit off the tee if they don't hit their driver very well. I have also seen a lot of high handicappers trying to hit their FW's way too much, they seem to think since they shanked a drive that they need to get on in two from 250 yards, they shank the 3 wood a couple times and can't understand why they made a triple bogey, lol.

I have a 3 wood in the bag and rarely(if ever) do I use it. I don't carry hybrids as I am confortable hitting long irons. So I could take my 3 wood out of the bag and not miss it at all. I think a lot of people find a FW easier to hit off the tee if they don't hit their driver very well. I have also seen a lot of high handicappers trying to hit their FW's way too much, they seem to think since they shanked a drive that they need to get on in two from 250 yards, they shank the 3 wood a couple times and can't understand why they made a triple bogey, lol.

I do that :) haa haa haa, you just described me. I'm thinking ok its about 130 yards away to the green, I need to use my 3 wood. I'm still learning :)

hahaha you've been watching me play.....I guess it doesn't matter what one has in their bag....if you can hit a putter off the tee 200+ yards then do it lol

Very well said Craig. Onlly recently have I opened my mind to course management and specifically playing holes to my strengths instead of trying to bomb ever shot as far as I can.

hahaha you've been watching me play.....I guess it doesn't matter what one has in their bag....if you can hit a putter off the tee 200+ yards then do it lol

I watched my buddy hit his driver about 50 yards in to the rough and then try three times with a 3 wood to get on the green, shanking it every time and had about 120 for his 5th shot. I told him instead of hacking his way down the hole he could have hit 3 - 9 irons and would have possibly been putting for par.

I watched my buddy hit his driver about 50 yards in to the rough and then try three times with a 3 wood to get on the green, shanking it every time and had about 120 for his 5th shot. I told him instead of hacking his way down the hole he could have hit 3 - 9 irons and would have possibly been putting for par.

Good thinking......i'm great with my irons.....maybe I should just stick with hitting them and getting on the green in hopefully four so that I can putt for bogey.....:beat-up:

I need the cliff notes version of course management, or course management for dummies, course management 101 :D

Good thinking......i'm great with my irons.....maybe I should just stick with hitting them and getting on the green in hopefully four so that I can putt for bogey.....:beat-up:

I need the cliff notes version of course management, or course management for dummies, course management 101 :D

Two mid irons will usually put most players fairly close to the green I have found unless you are playing holes longer than 375ish yards. For the most part I will hit a 5 iron on par 4's under 360 yards unless I feel driver puts me in a better spot or to avoid trouble that is closer to the tee box.

I think the common error of a lot of amateurs is that if they miss a drive they feel they have to pull off a miracle shot to make up for it. Take your medicine and hit it down the fairway to give yourself a chance and leave that fairway wood in the bag.

Two mid irons will usually put most players fairly close to the green I have found unless you are playing holes longer than 375ish yards. For the most part I will hit a 5 iron on par 4's under 360 yards unless I feel driver puts me in a better spot or to avoid trouble that is closer to the tee box.

I think the common error of a lot of amateurs is that if they miss a drive they feel they have to pull off a miracle shot to make up for it. Take your medicine and hit it down the fairway to give yourself a chance and leave that fairway wood in the bag.

Def. what I do. I see how far the pin is, use a club that will get it that close (regardless if I can hit it that far). Good advice :good:

Def. what I do. I see how far the pin is, use a club that will get it that close (regardless if I can hit it that far). Good advice :good:

and always take more club than you need....we amateurs rarely hit it perfect

and always take more club than you need....we amateurs rarely hit it perfect

I sometimes think that I have HORRIBLE depth perception, when in all actuality it's because I used a six iron when it should have been a 4.....:confused2:

For me the 3 wood is used more off shorter par 4's to help set up a yardage I prefer to hit from.Also use it on tight fairways where Finding the fairway is critical .

I recently finalize my WITB for this season and I want to share my exp with long clubs. I chose 3W HT(17*, 4W equivalent) from cleveland since I saw lots of successes with 4W. I could hit well off the tee but horrible off the deck. I really struggled in getting good contact with this club. I tried different swing planes, ball positions, and grip and so on. Two weeks ago, I finally figured out my problem, POSTURE. I tried to allow my spine as straight as possible with comfortable feeling and decrease the gap between grip and body. I didn't change ball position, swing, and tempo. Finally, I got good contacts in 8 out 10 shots on average off the deck. Previously, 3 or 4 shots if I was lucky.
Still lot of practices are need, but I was really amazed!

BTW, Wilson Fybrid 19.5* (7W equivalent) is also amazing, very good feeling and straight for me.

to our original poster

with the driver going relatively short in comparison with your 4i, you may have some success by getting rid of the driver temporarily and teeing off with a shorter shafted club

you may find a 3-4 wood may travel farther than your driver currently does

once you start grooving your swing and getting better results, then it's time to bring the longer shafted clubs back into play

I love my 7 wood:banana: and use it instead of a 2 or 3 iron. There are courses I have played where the driver never left the bag. I would rather give up 10-20 yards to hit the fairway.

Dirt_Guy, you said your setup is similar to mine, The question I have is, do you notice much difference between your 4hybrid and 5iron? The reason I plan to keep the 4iron in is because i feel i'll hit the hybrid so much further.

Many have mentioned using a 7W and the Adams ladies set I will be testing has a 7W....I have never hit one before but I look forward to trying it.

I have a 5W that I have hit maybe once and I occasionally tee off with my 3W on short holes.

Dirt_Guy, you said your setup is similar to mine, The question I have is, do you notice much difference between your 4hybrid and 5iron? The reason I plan to keep the 4iron in is because i feel i'll hit the hybrid so much further.

Yep, there is a larger gap b/w my 4h and 5i but it doesn't bother me. I didn't find any instance last year with my old irons where I chose my 4i over my 4h or 5h. This way I could give myself more wedge options.

Many have mentioned using a 7W and the Adams ladies set I will be testing has a 7W....I have never hit one before but I look forward to trying it.

I have a 5W that I have hit maybe once and I occasionally tee off with my 3W on short holes.

I look forward to your review on the Adams ladies set :good:

Back