Taylormade Penta TP - Forum Review Thread

I've not found any around here yet, but have not really looked for some time. No real hurry at this point, still have snow on the ground and a bunch of e6's.

I've not found any around here yet, but have not really looked for some time. No real hurry at this point, still have snow on the ground and a bunch of e6's.

Booooooo :banghead:

Before we jumped on the freeway home Monday I stopped at a Roger Dunn golf shop. They had one box of Pentas left on the shelf. They were $47, but they also offered a further discount if the customer purchased other items because of it being Valentines Day. I picked up the Pentas, and 3, 5, and 7 Nickent (used) 4DX fairway woods with Harrison Mugen shafts for $95. Never heard of this shaft before, but I was able to stick a few balls on the floating islands on their range. I will give the Pentas a go in a couple of weeks, and report back.

Not to get off topic, but...

Are the Mugen's red or blue? Either way, great shafts but the Red shaft is a bit spinnier and higher flighted.

Harrison is truly a freaking awesome shaft company. Their Saga is money!

I really want to hear what you guy's think of these balls. I myself simply loved them. For my game they worked in every way except price. If I was good enough to keep every shot safe, it would be a no brainer, however such is not the case. Around the greens they were magic.

I spent the better part of a day reading this entire thread, and it convinced to go out and buy a dozen. I played on Saturday, and shot a 86 which is about 5-9 strokes below my usual scores at this course. I knew it was going to be a good day when I parred the number one handicap hole at the local muni (which is the second hole).

I had the chance to use every club in the bag that day, and the ball performed like, as someone said earlier, it was sprinkled with pixie dust. Driver, 3-wood, long irons...noticeable increase in distance. Mid-irons? longer and accurate. By the 3rd hole, I started to take less club. Short game? the few times I did chip (see the part about the mid-irons), it felt superb. Putting? The ball rolled true and I holed more than my fair share of putts.

In short, I love the ball, and my only problem with them is the price. I play the B330RX now but I typically buy them online from a golf shop that puts them on sale from time to time. So paying 50 bucks for a dozen balls is rough on the wallet, especially when the swing gets rough.

I'm going to play some more to hopefully validate my first round with the Penta TP but I think I'm sold on it.

They are silver, and reddish.
Not to get off topic, but...

Are the Mugen's red or blue? Either way, great shafts but the Red shaft is a bit spinnier and higher flighted.

Harrison is truly a freaking awesome shaft company. Their Saga is money!

So paying 50 bucks for a dozen balls is rough on the wallet, especially when the swing gets rough.

$50 bucks really? That is higher than MAP. They should be selling around $44.99 just like the B330 and ProV1

I spent the better part of a day reading this entire thread, and it convinced to go out and buy a dozen. I played on Saturday, and shot a 86 which is about 5-9 strokes below my usual scores at this course. I knew it was going to be a good day when I parred the number one handicap hole at the local muni (which is the second hole).

I had the chance to use every club in the bag that day, and the ball performed like, as someone said earlier, it was sprinkled with pixie dust. Driver, 3-wood, long irons...noticeable increase in distance. Mid-irons? longer and accurate. By the 3rd hole, I started to take less club. Short game? the few times I did chip (see the part about the mid-irons), it felt superb. Putting? The ball rolled true and I holed more than my fair share of putts.

In short, I love the ball, and my only problem with them is the price. I play the B330RX now but I typically buy them online from a golf shop that puts them on sale from time to time. So paying 50 bucks for a dozen balls is rough on the wallet, especially when the swing gets rough.

I'm going to play some more to hopefully validate my first round with the Penta TP but I think I'm sold on it.

That great stuff RG. Congrats on the round, keep us updated on the next one. Like you I found these balls longer and straighter than what I had been playing. I certainly don't think you can go wrong with the B330RX unless like me you want a little more spin, which has me wanting to try these new RXS balls. However, I still have a bunch of the E6 balls which I need to evaluate and from what I've heard those are a great ball for many who match up with it.

My plan this year is to do some head to head testing with these Pentas. Life is good when you have options, don't you think? :clapp: These companies are throwing some great products out on the market right now.

$50 bucks really? That is higher than MAP. They should be selling around $44.99 just like the B330 and ProV1

At our local shop, the B330's are 36.99, the Pentas are 49.99. Go figure...

On a second note, those that have played the e6 and the penta, how did the penta fare in the e6's specialty, ie. sidespin? I still play the e6s because, one, I still have about 18 left, and two, for that 2 or 3 drives per round that normally would go wild but strokes are saved by the e6's keen ability to avoid the deep, deep rough...

Rhino, you said you normally game the B330RX, and you're seening a distance gain in the Penta over that? Thought the B330RX was supposed to be longer for slower swing speeds...

Seriously considering gaming the Penta as my next ball...

I was including sales tax (which is 9.25% here). Local golfsmith price is $45.99. Although the price at one muni I checked, the price is 49.99 so with tax would push the price over $50!

My plan this year is to do some head to head testing with these Pentas. Life is good when you have options, don't you think? :clapp: These companies are throwing some great products out on the market right now.

I agree. I have 3 boxes of unopened B330RX (when I find them on sale, I'd buy 3-4 dozen) so I will definitely be comparing them with the Penta. As my swing is getting better and repeatable, I think a little more spin might be what the doctor ordered for my golf game.

Adding in sales tax might take the price to $50 or even higher in some instances. In California the sales tax can be anywhere from 8.25% (base) to 10.75% depending on the local city add ons. $45 in Las Vegas would roughly be $49 after adding in sales tax. Might be better for some to try to order them from states that do not charge sales tax, and free S&H.

I have one more Bridgestone B330RX that was given to me by Bridgestone and THP for review so when the snow melts I will be testing these out side by side with the Penta and will post my results.

Adding in sales tax might take the price to $50 or even higher in some instances. In California the sales tax can be anywhere from 8.25% (base) to 10.75% depending on the local city add ons. $45 in Las Vegas would roughly be $49 after adding in sales tax. Might be better for some to try to order them from states that do not charge sales tax, and free S&H.

In that aspect, it would cost the same as most stores sell the ProV1 for...Agree on ordering online if you find they work for you.

These balls arrived yesterday afternoon.Sadly I was working the late shift yesterday,then working the morning shift today.Not a whole lot of time to demo these.

Thanks to Taylormade Golf and THP for the opportunity to demo this balls.

My testing so far has been launch monitor only. Hoping to chip and putt tomorrow with it.

I wasn't paying attention to the feel of the ball,my bad.But,It didn't feel like a rock or a marshmallow.

60* lw - The Penta was spinning less for me by an avg of 500rpm's.Distance is the same. The bridgestone was producing on ave 7300 rpm's.I didn't notice any scuffs or shredding with the Penta which is a good thing.I would say this would be a durable ball,but on course testing will tell more.

32* 6 iron-Spin for the Penta was higher by an avg 140 rpm's. Distance is about the same. Avg spin with the Penta was 4354 Rpm's

22* hybrid- Spin is higher on the Penta again.By an Avg of 370 rpm's. Distance increased with the Penta by an avg of 8 yards.

10.5* Driver-This is where I was hoping the Penta would shine.Unfortunately this ball was spinning by 300-500 rpms more then the bridgestone b330.Distance decreased by 4 yards.

Ball speeds off the driver were lower on the Penta by about 4 MPH.Launch angle was higher with the Penta, 1* degree higher.

I will try the Driver with both balls of the monitor another day.The tee was a touch to high for my taste.I'd say by about 1/2.

Was comparing to the ball I've been playing for approx 2 yrs.The 08 Bridgestone B330. Initial experience is,I would continue playing my current ball due to numbers only.But, I'm looking forward to actually playing this ball for the real test. Spin was lacking with the Penta with the wedge and spun too much off the driver.
I was shocked to see the Penta spin less with the wedge.I would have thought this ball was going to spin much higher with the thinking this ball is designed for the new grooves.

Spot on Sir. 7e+ is still the best overall.

For all you TP Red lovers out there, I did a comparison.

I'm a 10 handicap player with a driver SS of 104. I really like to work the ball (both ways) and enjoy low trajectory, high-spin green shots with a 62 degree wedge (hit-hit-stop). Like most of you I'm just looking for consistency first, performance second but price is important.

DRIVING: I have to admit, the Penta flew farther for me by about 5-10 yards. Excellent roll on fairways too. I was really surprised at this (as were my partners).

IRONS: I felt like the Penta was a bit more resistant to "working". My draws were kept in check and my fades cut less than the TP Reds. Basically it saved me when I over-cooked it, but never let me boomerang shots like I wanted (so a blessing and a curse).

PITCH/CHIP: Both balls were excellent; it's almost a tie. The Reds feel a bit softer to me and check so nicely...yet the Pentas performed well. One funny thing about the Penta: when I needed it to run, it did. When I needed it to fly 70 yards and spin back 5, it did. I can't explain this, but the ball did what I needed it to do on each shot. A buddy of mine made the same comment.

One last thing here: the Penta did not chew up like the Reds. In fact, even when I compressed the %*@$ out of the ball to spin it...it didn't shred. By far better than the TP Red here, which shreds pretty easily with my Callaway X-forged wedge.

PUTTING: Red feels a bit softer, but both putt well. I had one of my best rounds putting with the Penta (I've never broken 80 and shot 80 with it today). Thumbs up there.

SUMMARY: The Penta is fabulous. It kept me long on drives, kept me from over-working shots, chipped better than I knew it could (spun when I needed it to, released when I didn't), and putted perfectly...BUT... given how cheap the TP Reds are I think I'll stick for now. Ball was exquisite but at $46 a box, its a bit rich for my blood.

I highly recommend trying them; enjoy.

I'm still looking for a decent comparison vs the B330RX. Anyone do this?

cmoors,
You should listen to our latest podcast on the home page under THP Radio. We have Taylormade R&D on talking about what you are mentioning here. They talk about the Red and the Black specifically.

For all you TP Red lovers out there, I did a comparison.

I'm a 10 handicap player with a driver SS of 104. I really like to work the ball (both ways) and enjoy low trajectory, high-spin green shots with a 62 degree wedge (hit-hit-stop). Like most of you I'm just looking for consistency first, performance second but price is important.

DRIVING: I have to admit, the Penta flew farther for me by about 5-10 yards. Excellent roll on fairways too. I was really surprised at this (as were my partners).

IRONS: I felt like the Penta was a bit more resistant to "working". My draws were kept in check and my fades cut less than the TP Reds. Basically it saved me when I over-cooked it, but never let me boomerang shots like I wanted (so a blessing and a curse).

PITCH/CHIP: Both balls were excellent; it's almost a tie. The Reds feel a bit softer to me and check so nicely...yet the Pentas performed well. One funny thing about the Penta: when I needed it to run, it did. When I needed it to fly 70 yards and spin back 5, it did. I can't explain this, but the ball did what I needed it to do on each shot. A buddy of mine made the same comment.

One last thing here: the Penta did not chew up like the Reds. In fact, even when I compressed the %*@$ out of the ball to spin it...it didn't shred. By far better than the TP Red here, which shreds pretty easily with my Callaway X-forged wedge.

PUTTING: Red feels a bit softer, but both putt well. I had one of my best rounds putting with the Penta (I've never broken 80 and shot 80 with it today). Thumbs up there.

SUMMARY: The Penta is fabulous. It kept me long on drives, kept me from over-working shots, chipped better than I knew it could (spun when I needed it to, released when I didn't), and putted perfectly...BUT... given how cheap the TP Reds are I think I'll stick for now. Ball was exquisite but at $46 a box, its a bit rich for my blood.

I highly recommend trying them; enjoy.

Great review! Cmoors

I'm still looking for a decent comparison vs the B330RX. Anyone do this?

I willbe doing this when the snow finally clears off. Hopefully next week.

Thanks JB. I checked it out and enjoyed the 5-shot discussion on balls.

I've never heard that before but now that I hear it, makes total sense.

I'm definitely going to try that Bridgestone for players with <105mph swing speeds, along with my Callaway i(s). Playing 9 at Torrey Pines today so curious to see if my results match up with Ernie's ;)

I played again today with the Penta and when my swing was working, it was a glorious thing. Drives were minimum 280 (closed out 18 with 310 bomb and middle of the fairway). My irons were off today so I spent a lot of time in the bunkers. And the ball performed beautifully. I plan to play again at least Tuesday-Wednesday so course permitting, I might try a 330-rx/penta comparison as I packed a few 330-rx for my trip. But I'm sold on penta. Just wish my bank account was as well.

Taylormade Penta Trial Take 2

Taylormade Penta Trial Take 2

This is the thread where the THP Penta Testers will post their photos, thoughts, and reviews on this golf ball. If you have specific questions for any of the testers, do not hesitate to ask them in this thread. Here are the lucky 12 chosen for the 1st batch of testing.

Setho
h2ojon
White Rhino
hawk308
Clay Cribbs
dannyka
Esox
CTech
rsd1244
Sacul1573
Mchepp
SlamminSam

All right! Lets DO THIS!

Now taking special request... I'm like BK, Have It Your Way!:D

Awesome guys! Enjoy and have fun and will look forward to the reviews.

Back