Gasmans B330 RX-S Review

TheGasman

I Like to Party
Reaction score
Handicap
A sparkle of goodness came in the mail today. This time in the form of a golf ball. I put it next to the old B330 RX for comparison purposes.
get-attachment.jpg

Ive been using the B330-RX for about a year now and it seems to have taken my game to the next level. From just feeling the two together, you can kind of feel that the RX-S is a tad bit softer but not by much. It rolled nice of the putter on carpet but I wont be able to tell until I hit the course with it. Im going to try and get out to the chipping and putting green tomorrow and give them a go. Hopefully I can hit the course up Monday morning, if not ill get nine in on Tuesday. Stay tuned.

Looking forward to it TGM.

I am looking forward to your review.

Nice pics Gas, hope these work out. Can't wait to see your report card.

I drove a little further then normal today to a nicer course to hit a few chips and putts with these balls. Unfortunately they were giving a clinic on the chipping green so I just rolled some putts.
I was putting them side by side with the old RX so I could see if I can really tell the difference. My first thoughts from putting were that they seemed noticeably softer off the putter even though they sounded pretty similar to the old RX. I really wont get a good sense though until I can hit some chips with them. Ill try again in the morning if I can get away with it on Valentines day.

Ooh, Valentines day? Bad plan Gas, thats a good way to have your (new) balls damaged.

Ooh, Valentines day? Bad plan Gas, thats a good way to have your (new) balls damaged.

LMAO....good one Due...(and also very accurate)

LMAO....good one Due...(and also very accurate)

Haha, you guys were right. I just got shot down, were going to the dog park instead. This is my least favorite holiday.

Haha, you guys were right. I just got shot down, were going to the dog park instead. This is my least favorite holiday.
It's not even a real holiday! Jacqui hates this day. She says shouldn't you show your love every day, not just on one day? We send e-cards for today, from us and the kids (dogs), but no other cards or flowers or anything on this day.

Liz got me a card and some whoppers and I got her a card and a gift certificate for her fingers & toes thingy, lol. Beyond that We'll call the kids and call it a day.

Oops, I thought this was the Valentine thread!

I got a call a few minutes ago and we have a tee time at TPC tomorrow morning. So I guess I get to test these bad boys on some fast greens. The good thing is this is the course I play most of my rounds on, so I should be able to really tell the difference.

Do you guys think I should start with the old RX and switch to the RXS after 9 or...?

If I were limited on the number of balls to test, just me, but I would use on the "very open" holes the first time out or two and par threes. Or, when shooting at the green. The diference with these is supposed to be spin, I think?

Just a thought.

If I were limited on the number of balls to test, just me, but I would use on the "very open" holes the first time out or two and par threes. Or, when shooting at the green. The diference with these is supposed to be spin, I think?

Just a thought.
I think the driver still makes a major part of the review though. The thing that made the B330 RX so great was how long it was off of the tee. I think your right though. I will pull them out on the less Gimicky holes.

Just a thought.

I agree... I did my test today and I used the widest fairways and on par 3's. I still ended up losing 1 in the woods.

I agree... I did my test today and I used the widest fairways and on par 3's. I still ended up losing 1 in the woods.

Lost one, huh...I wonder if JB is gonna make you replace it when you send them back...
Wait...you cant get them for another month...
Your in real trouble now dude...lol:beat-up:

Lost one, huh...I wonder if JB is gonna make you replace it when you send them back...
Wait...you cant get them for another month...
Your in real trouble now dude...lol:beat-up:

I was under the impression that since they asked for our handicap that looking at mine they would just assume that the chances of me losing one was close to 100%. But it was the best looking woods shot I ever hit though. :golf2:

So I got out today with the new B330 RXS. To get a good comparison, I decided to play the front 9 with the B330 RX and the back with the RXS. I tested them out at the TPC course near my house, the course is in perfect shape. The greens were slower then usual but still running around a 10. The rough was ridiculous and the fairways perfect.

Driver
With the old 330 RX I was able to hit 5 out of 7 fairways today. Using the 330 RXS I only hit 2 out of 7. I cant blame the ball for the back 9, it was all my fault. I didnt notice any exaggerated slicing from my power fade with the new balls and I want to say I was getting what seemed like at least 10 yards further with the new ball. Dont hold me on it though because it could of been all mental. Call me a freak, but one thing that kind of bugged me about the ball was the use of a red number, I always liked the grey numbers on the old RX.

Irons/Hybrids
I naturally have a pretty high trajectory so my irons usually hold pretty good but I had a couple of shots with the RXS that stuck on the green like a lawn dart. I managed to back up an 8 iron a few feet, which I rarely do and I hit a 4 hybrid which stopped dead in its tracks. I might be off here but the feel of these off my irons reminded me of the Callaway Tour IX a lot. Overall I would say the RXS feels better off of the irons.

Wedges
Like the 330 RX the cover on the RXS seems to hold up pretty good. I took a few full wedge shots and the cover still looked good, better then any of the other premium balls I have tried. I have to say, these things are awesome from 100 yards in. I could of sat there all day and taken full wedge shots, they were fun. I only had one sand shot all day and it came on the 18th, I couldnt tell the difference between the two balls but it was a pretty crappy bunker shot. My problem was greenside with these things. I dont know if it was a mental thing, but I was blowing these things by the hole every time. I think it was more me trying to over compensate thinking they would spin more. I took a rough estimate on the length of my first putts. I averaged about 12 feet with the 330 RX and about 18 with the RXS, Im not sure if that really means anything.

Putting
I didnt like these things off the putter. They just didnt feel right to me, I was leaving a lot of putts way short which was unusual for me. Once again, I dont know if I can blame the ball but I liked the 330 RX better.

Verdict
I really dont think I can come to a conclusion after a half a round with this ball. Im definitely going to pick up a box when they come out and give them another go. Like I said in an earlier post, I have been using the 330 RX for a year now, so It was weird to try something different but the RXS was very similar to the older model. Feel free to ask away, I may have left some stuff out because I was sitting in the sun all day. I have 1 left and I will try and get out in a few days and use it again.

Thanks again to THP and Bridgestone for giving me this opportunity. I had fun with it and it was much appreciated.

Great insight TGM. Extremely thorough.

Putting
I didnt like these things off the putter. They just didnt feel right to me, I was leaving a lot of putts way short which was unusual for me. Once again, I dont know if I can blame the ball but I liked the 330 RX better.

I had the same issue with the my 330RX. I felt like I needed to push the ball a little harder to get it at the right pace.

Great review Gas! Thanks for the insights.......

nice review Gasman...
Also,just to clarify, last year there was only 1 ball, right?? the B330-RX

This year, they have the newer version B330RX and a totally new ball, the B330-RXS??

If the snow would stop here, I would get mine tested....
Last year, I think we had one dusting....this year we are on like the 7th snowfall...
unbelievable....

nice review Gasman...
Also,just to clarify, last year there was only 1 ball, right?? the B330-RX

This year, they have the newer version B330RX and a totally new ball, the B330-RXS??

If the snow would stop here, I would get mine tested....
Last year, I think we had one dusting....this year we are on like the 7th snowfall...
unbelievable....

Correct. They had B330 and a B330 S and then the B330 RX. The regular 330 and 330s were targeted more toward better players while the RX towards your average player.
I hope that snow melts soon Bama. Cant wait to read all of the reviews.

Back