2010 Driver Shoot Out Results

I'm sure the Nike MachSpeed probably suffers in the looks and sound department, otherwise I don't see how that isn't a top 5 driver.

I'm sure the Nike MachSpeed probably suffers in the looks and sound department, otherwise I don't see how that isn't a top 5 driver.

It will all be broken down in the magazine, but I can tell you for just me, the accuracy was not quite as good as a few others, but I loved the driver overall. I actually found the sound better on this one than the VR, but that is a personal taste attribute.

It will all be broken down in the magazine, but I can tell you for just me, the accuracy was not quite as good as a few others, but I loved the driver overall. I actually found the sound better on this one than the VR, but that is a personal taste attribute.

The accuracy issue is surprising. I look forward to testing this one myself in the coming weeks.

DO not forget that today is the last day to enter to win one of these drivers. Check out the contest section of the forum and get your entry submitted. Thanks.

Just entered.

heading out to the range in a little while with Mr. Longshanks to give them all a go.

Apparently some of the golf companies read our forum and asked which Nationwide event had the new TM drivers? Or were these the old drivers. According to them, these have not been on any tour truck other than the PGA one at the Hope this week and they have not sent a single one out to the Nationwide tour, fitters, or any nationwide players.

Dont kill the messenger, just their words. They assumed that it was the older R9 or R9 460.

I thought I responded last night but maybe not.

The nationwide tour has not started up, so I was surprised to hear them wondering which Nationwide event it was. It was a group of touring players most of the group were nationwide players. I did not get everyones name, I spent a lot of time on the putting green and I am not sure where the TM's came from.

Harry Longshanks is headed out to the range to make his personal selection as well.

Glad everybody enjoyed this DSO this year.

Really enjoyed the output from the DSO JB, thanks again.

Would have liked to have seen some more info on the drivers tho, and maybe more detailed rankings. I know it going to be in the magazine in a month or 2, but as I live in Ireland I'll miss that unfortunately.

On a slighlty unrelated note, what did you/the testers think of the stock shafts in the drivers? I'm buying a new driver for 2010 and the R9 SuperTri looks nice. With the TP version you get a 'proper' shaft, is this worth the extra Euros? Assuming I get my pro to reccomend one with the correct profile.

Really enjoyed the output from the DSO JB, thanks again.

Would have liked to have seen some more info on the drivers tho, and maybe more detailed rankings. I know it going to be in the magazine in a month or 2, but as I live in Ireland I'll miss that unfortunately.

On a slighlty unrelated note, what did you/the testers think of the stock shafts in the drivers? I'm buying a new driver for 2010 and the R9 SuperTri looks nice. With the TP version you get a 'proper' shaft, is this worth the extra Euros? Assuming I get my pro to reccomend one with the correct profile.

Being fitted is always the way to go, but I must say that this is the 1st year that I thought many of the stock shafts worked quite well for the testers. Buying a TP version just because it is a TP version makes little sense (and I know you are not saying that) but so many do it. With a club like this, get fitted for a shaft and then get it tipped if possible. But going back to your question, I felt as though most of the stock shafts worked quite well with just a few exceptions.

I know what you mean about TP. In fairness the only reason I would go TP with an R9 SuperTri is to get a 'proper' shaft at a good price. But if there isn't a lot off difference then I'd certainly stick with the stock shaft.

I have this same ques lined up for my pro the next time I'm chattin to him.

PS - pardon my ignorance here, what does tipping a shaft mean?

I know what you mean about TP. In fairness the only reason I would go TP with an R9 SuperTri is to get a 'proper' shaft at a good price. But if there isn't a lot off difference then I'd certainly stick with the stock shaft.

I have this same ques lined up for my pro the next time I'm chattin to him.

PS - pardon my ignorance here, what does tipping a shaft mean?

What I meant was that you could take any shaft and add the R9 tip if needed. I did that with my Miyazaki shaft and love it.

What I meant was that you could take any shaft and add the R9 tip if needed. I did that with my Miyazaki shaft and love it.

I did the same thing with my 460. Bought the regular R9 460 and then added the shaft I wanted. It used to be that the TP versions had a square to open face angle and the regular slightly closed but, with the R9 and FCT that has been eliminated. There are some nice shafts in the TP but still maybe the wrong shaft for you and your swing.

I have now played with every driver in the shoot out and can say without a doubt that most of these could go in my bag. Not all, but most. This looks to be a great year for the driver. I have a few favorites though.

I have now played with every driver in the shoot out and can say without a doubt that most of these could go in my bag. Not all, but most. This looks to be a great year for the driver. I have a few favorites though.

What are your top 3 drivers and why?

Out of this crop of 2010 drivers it is really hard to narrow down a top one, but here are 3 that stand out for me so far in no particular order:

Callaway Diablo Edge - Great sound and feel, really good distance, and the club is just different than what I have come to expect from Callaway. That is not a bad thing or a good thing, just something different. This could be in my bag immediately and it just may end up there.

Fourteen Golf JC-909 - This club is one of the most unique drivers I have hit. From the shape to the feel, it is very different. It launches slightly higher than most, but is deadly accurate for me and the has a little "something" that I cannot put my finger on yet. Really like it, not as long as a few of the others for me, but the accuracy and feel are top notch.

Cleveland DST - There are a whole bunch of light drivers in this years crop, but this is the one to me that "gets it right". Perfect balance so that you almost do not even realize it is much lighter (you still do, but not as bad as the others) and you still get that great feel. Good look, great feel, and incredible distance.

Like I mentioned, I could give a list of another 5 that I would be thrilled with in my bag such as the MachSpeed, Srixon, Speedline, Bridgestone, or G15 that I could have easily swapped them out for.

You didn't care for the Supertri too much? The reason I'm curious is that I was looking for adjustability to help with my slice.I only have one when I hit the driver,all other clubs go pretty straight.

I like the R9 SuperTri quite a bit, but it is a deep face driver that is also a fairly high spin driver and that is not ideal for my game.

Out of this crop of 2010 drivers it is really hard to narrow down a top one, but here are 3 that stand out for me so far in no particular order:

Callaway Diablo Edge - Great sound and feel, really good distance, and the club is just different than what I have come to expect from Callaway. That is not a bad thing or a good thing, just something different. This could be in my bag immediately and it just may end up there.

Fourteen Golf JC-909 - This club is one of the most unique drivers I have hit. From the shape to the feel, it is very different. It launches slightly higher than most, but is deadly accurate for me and the has a little "something" that I cannot put my finger on yet. Really like it, not as long as a few of the others for me, but the accuracy and feel are top notch.

Cleveland DST - There are a whole bunch of light drivers in this years crop, but this is the one to me that "gets it right". Perfect balance so that you almost do not even realize it is much lighter (you still do, but not as bad as the others) and you still get that great feel. Good look, great feel, and incredible distance.

Like I mentioned, I could give a list of another 5 that I would be thrilled with in my bag such as the MachSpeed, Srixon, Speedline, Bridgestone, or G15 that I could have easily swapped them out for.

JB- You've convinced me to look at the Edge now as a part of my short list. Even 'my guy' at GG said that I should look at this as it's much better than last year's model. He ended up choosing the Super-Tri for his bag this year over it but just barely. The new Callaways come in this weekend so I plan to use Valentine's Day and the holiday (the joys of being single) to finalize my decision.

I like the R9 SuperTri quite a bit, but it is a deep face driver that is also a fairly high spin driver and that is not ideal for my game.

Being it's a high spin driver,would that work against me as far as my slice goes?

The magazine will have far more detailed information and we will be reviewing almost all of the drivers that were in the shoot out starting in about 10 days.

Back