Max. GI vs GI clubs

chuck_w

Reaction score
Handicap
high
I have been reading the new club reviews in both Golf Digest and Golf magazines in anticipation of purchasing my first set of "real" clubs (up to now, I have been playing a set of Cougars I bought at Target a few years back) . I see that a distinction is made between Maximum Game Improvement and Game Improvement clubs.

I know enough to see that the Max GI clubs, which often include several hybrids in the set, are designed more for players with slow club head speeds and are easier to get elevation with, etc. while the GI clubs, although designed to be forgiving, look more like players clubs.

Do you think that a beginner (like myself) who intends to play and practice regularly should bypass the Max GI catagory clubs in favor of GI clubs which may provide the player with more flexibility as his skill increases ?

As long as your ball striking is decent/good and you have no problem getting your shots into the air, I'd think the GI irons would be good for you. Personally, I have a hard time looking down at a club that has a large sole, topline, and offset.

Are you going into this purchase with an unbias view of company preference, or do you have a few companies in mind that you'll try out first? A good club fitter can help with your decision after he or she sees you hit a few balls and gets the data from launch monitor results.

SGI vs GI is a long debate, but a couple of things to consider is that it really depends on where your swing flaws are more than your swing speed. And of course what you are looking for in a set of irons.

There are great sets in both categories and as mentioned hit as many as you can.

At this point, I am considering the Ping G15's, the Adams IDEA a7's, the Wilson Staff Di9's or Ci9's, Mizuno MX-200's and the Cleveland CG7's.

Wadda ya think ?

All of those are good, and most are very different. For example the Ci9s and MX-200s are going to definitely be the least forgiving out of all of the ones listed.

At this point, I am considering the Ping G15's, the Adams IDEA a7's, the Wilson Staff Di9's or Ci9's, Mizuno MX-200's and the Cleveland CG7's.

Wadda ya think ?

I always take a demo club out on the golf course and actually hit it in play before deciding on one. Hitting clubs at the range is a place to start to pare down the list but almost everyone hits the ball a little differently out on the golf course than they do on the range. Most shops will allow you to take a demo club with you, a 6 iron usually, and that way you can be sure it works as well for you in actual play as well as it feels on the range.

That line-up looks like some solid contenders. I have heard great things about all of those irons. Of those, I have only taken swings with the CG7's and MX-200's. The Mizunos were beautiful and felt great when I connected well, however, it was a little heavy in the head for me and I could not get a consistent impact on the ball. With the CG7's, I could get a consistent swing with them and the added finesse with the zip grooves was great. I also took some swings with the TM 09 burners. They hit the ball straight and long! They were easy to swing and get consistent impact on the ball as well. Make sure to test them all out and even others that you normally wouldn't look toward. I hope you find something that fits the groove of your swing.

I was very bias in my testing and decision. Cleveland was running a great promotion at the time (buy one iron set and get a new set between 2010 and 2012 for free). The CG7 Black Pearl irons worked great for me and looked amazing, so they earned their place in my main bag for now.

They are gorgeous.

694951376_vnwQG-XL-1.jpg

I just started in 2009 and chose the Ci7's even though they were on the harder end of GI irons. When I first got them I had a hard time getting good consistent contact, especially with the longer irons. FWIW, I can get the ball in the air with them just fine most of the time.

I started taking lessons and have just recently been able to hit these clubs decently. I'm glad I went this route because I want to be able to "grow" into them so to speak. I know I'm not going to be able to buy a new set every year or two.

Not saying this is best for everybody, but it the path I chose to take and I am satisfied with it.

a7os

a7os

i bought the a7os to try and get my hcp. lower than 7 this year. i have owned, played or tested most game improvement irons and the os is the 1st adams product ive bought. after several months with them (and golf trips) i like them even more now.

An SGI won't hurt your game. TM just came out with a new set of Burners that definitely deserve a look, and they are reasonably priced. Personally I would go with the SGI category: the Burners, Diablo Edge, and the like. You couldn't go wrong with either set.

The most important thing: GET FITTED! The correct length, lie angle, shaft, and shaft flex will go a long way in helping your game. However, if you do get fitted you won't be able to blame your equipment for a bad shot. :)

May I also humbly suggest you not use a driver but a wood instead? As a beginning golfer you may find it easier to tee off with a wood instead of a driver.

Another thing to consider is your wedges: how many, and what kind. You may want to use the wedges provided in the set as opposed to a specialty set. As you gain more confidence in your short-game you may than want to purchase specialty wedges, e.g., Vokey's, X-Forged, CG14's.

Don't neglect your putter. Most of your shots will be with that club so you want one you feel comfortable with and like the look of. You can also get fitted for a putter as to length and lie angle. The kind of putter you use, i.e., blade, mallet, or hybrid, will be entirely up to you.

Please remember, these are just my opinions, and good luck in your search! Above all, have fun with it!

DC,
Keep in mind that the Burners are GI and the Burner Super Fast is SGI. THey are very different. I also consider the Diablo Edge more of a GI. We will have a review coming up on them soon.

DC,
Keep in mind that the Burners are GI and the Burner Super Fast is SGI. THey are very different. I also consider the Diablo Edge more of a GI. We will have a review coming up on them soon.
I was thinking of the Super Fast, and I thought GD listed the Edge as SGI. My bad. :)

Back